It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed men hold UN chief's representative in Crimea

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Armed men hold UN chief's representative in Crimea-Ukrainian ministry

(Reuters) - Armed men seized Robert Serry, a special representative of U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in Ukraine's Crimea region on Wednesday, Ukraine's Foreign Ministry said.

Russian forces have taken control of Crimea in southern Ukraine. Serry was held in the region's main city, Simferopol, a ministry spokeswoman said.

Local militia blocking entrance of Crimea coffee shop

ITV News' Europe Editor James Mates pictured with UN representative Robert Serry in Crimea. Credit: ITV News/James Mates

Local militia are blocking the entrance of a coffee shop in Crimea where UN representative Robert Serry is being held.

The men, dressed in combat fatigues with some wearing pro-Russia black and gold arm bands, are not allowing anyone in or out of the shop.

What now?

So, we have a half assed hostage situation going?

Seems like blatant thuggery.

I hope this is just some local idiocy and not implications of something wider and more ominous.
edit on 5-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Delete please.
edit on thAmerica/Chicago305000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

SLAYER69
Local militia blocking entrance of Crimea coffee shop

ITV News' Europe Editor James Mates pictured with UN representative Robert Serry in Crimea. Credit: ITV News/James Mates

Local militia are blocking the entrance of a coffee shop in Crimea where UN representative Robert Ferry is being held.

The men, dressed in combat fatigues with some wearing pro-Russia black and gold arm bands, are not allowing anyone in or out of the shop.

What now?

So, we have a half assed hostage situation going?

Seems like blatant thuggery.

I hope this is just some local idiocy and not wider implications of something more ominous.

This !

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

You can't overthrow a government without having a cup of joe in the morning!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well that ain't helping Putins 'righteous' cause.

In fact that is one of the worse things that can be happening.

Unless Putin is behind it, and some 'non affiliate' does the dirty work to keep his hands 'clean'.

I don't think nothing going on in Crimea is not being done without Putin's say so.

You can take the Putin 'out' of the KGB, but you can't take the KGB out of Putin.
edit on 5-3-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hard to tell who the perpetrators really are... when the Russian troops that are there have no identifying markings on their uniforms and most of the paramilitary on either side have no real uniforms anyway.
It almost puts the actual Ukrainian troops at a disadvantage, they are the only ones that have a real uniform at this point.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

I think I need a cup of coffee because even after reading the thread I had no idea why you were talking about coffee.
I don't think Putin ever said he was done with Crimea, nor did he pull back any unmarked troops (he doesn't call those russian troops, whether they are or whether they are Crimean militia)..

At the same time I don't feel like kid napping a UN guy could be good for anyone. Seems like a local move.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Don't get me started on the whole 'Mystery' Soldiers fiasco, I honestly don't know who they were trying to fool with that folly in the first place...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

SLAYER69

Don't get me started on the whole 'Mystery' Soldiers fiasco, I honestly don't know who they were trying to fool with that folly in the first place...

Putin's press conference yesterday was great, "the local militia's are very well trained".

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

SLAYER69

I didn't get the idea they were trying to fool anyone. I viewed it more as a play on words and a skirting of international law. Putin was quite plain in admitting who they were. Did America try to fool anyone with Blackwater? Or was it more of a way to have different rules?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

KnightLight

MystikMushroom

I think I need a cup of coffee because even after reading the thread I had no idea why you were talking about coffee.

Either that is sarcasm or you really didnt read anything. The UN Chief is being held in a coffee shop....... it was a joke based on the thread......

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Another source

Senior U.N. Envoy Threatened at Gunpoint in Crimea

UNITED NATIONS — A senior United Nations diplomat sent to Ukraine’s Crimea region to assess the Russian military takeover there was threatened by armed men at gunpoint on Wednesday a day after his arrival, and a journalist who witnessed the confrontation said the diplomat was aborting his mission.

The diplomat, Robert Serry, a United Nations veteran, was confronted by a group of 10-15 unidentified gunmen as he departed a meeting at a naval facility in the Crimea regional capital of Simferopol, according to an account of the incident provided by Jan Eliasson, the United Nations deputy secretary general, who spoke in a telephone news conference from Kiev, the Ukraine capital.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

greencmp

SLAYER69

Putin's press conference yesterday was great, "the local militia's are very well trained".

'Militia' eh ?

More like Russian Spetsnaz.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

snypwsd

Either that is sarcasm or you really didnt read anything. The UN Chief is being held in a coffee shop....... it was a joke based on the thread......

Look up the word HAD.

Either that or you didn't read my post. It was a joke on a joke on the thread.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Putin is just like any other politician..

He says a lot of things.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Some one on this planet wants a war to break out over there. It seems like they are doing all they can to piss off and taunt the western world trying to drag them to conflict. It is not a smart idea to take a UN Chief and hold him hostage, If anything happens to him then you can bet that it will piss people off.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

SLAYER69

He says a lot of things.

Please don't take what I said as support for the guy.
I wouldn't mind seeing him assassinated.
I mean voted out....

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

haha ok you got me.... I geuss I need a coffee this morning too lol

link   

SLAYER69

He says a lot of things.

That is what I don't get.

That is the universal constant from country to country.

No matter where one goes they are all full of snip.

link   
reply to post by snypwsd

and in a few min someone will be along to say its America doing it all.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join