It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Wayne air guard to receive F-16s

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by Bigburgh

All Guard equipment is owned by the state.

Thanks for clearing that up.
So I guess the next question would be.
If the guard is activated to full time status. Can the governor of that state refuse without severe consequences?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Theoretically yes. Realistically probably not.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Zaphod58

Theoretically yes. Realistically probably not.

OK. I've never seen it happen so I had to ask. I also thought there were rules as to what generation aircraft they're allowed to have. So an F-35 wouldn't be permitted as of yet.
Thanks for the prompt response.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Why not? The Hawaii Air Guard has both C-17s and F-22s. They're a mixed unit testbed.

The Guard/Reserves perform over 50% of the mission now so they need access to everything the Active forces have.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Zaphod58

Why not? The Hawaii Air Guard has both C-17s and F-22s. They're a mixed unit testbed.

The Guard/Reserves perform over 50% of the mission now so they need access to everything the Active forces have.

A transport aircraft I can see. But a fifth generation fighter. But Hawaii being all alone out there could use a top of the line Fighter.
Hmm. Interesting. Someone told me here once..that the ANG in MO. Was not permitted an upgraded F-15 because it was considered next Generation and therefore not allowed by the air force. This was an issue back in 1993. I wish I could find it.
But I trust your words. Thanks again

edit on 5-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

In 1993 the Guard/Reserves handled less than 50% of the mission, so it was an issue. Now almost all of the Bomber mission, most of the Tanker mission, and a large part of the Transport mission is Guard/Reserve.
edit on 3/5/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

With the upcoming funding cuts, the Air National Guard will NEVER get F-35s maybe with the exception of Hawaii and Alaska. And even only then Active Duty counterparts with share in the maintenance. I worked at the Pentagon and National Guard Bureau for many years funding many weapons programs. The ANG gets 7 billion a year for their programs. Since the budget comes from the Air Force pot of money they tax the Guard 30% and higher to subdue any new programs that may be a detriment to the Active Duty mission. With exception of drones, the ANG gets old and used up aircraft in which the ANG maintainers take pride in keeping the iron flying. There is a great battle brewing in Congress to uphold the existence of ANG units across the country. They know AF is trying to cut everything they can to budget these aircraft. So far there has been 167 million dollars in overrun costs. In my opinion very few of these F-35s will be manufactured.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You are incorrect sir. All ANG equipment is owned by the Federal Government. The AF allows the ANG units to support their missions. The agreement states the government may allow these used to support their state's mission through humanitarian means.
edit on 13/3/14 by declair because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

When a unit is activated it is done in a Title 10 status which means it was called up by the President. Any mission that sends their members overseas will be a Title 10 mission. State missions are Title 32. Alert missions and LTMPA (ALERT) missions are also Title 10. Border patrol is Title 32. JCNTF (counter-drug) missions are Title 32 as well. States receive funds from the Federal Government to uphold these state missions. Very little funding is provided by the state.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Correction: The mission for ANG units is only as good as the TAG and Wing Commander lobbying power with NGB/A3. Each mission determines the requirements not the State. For instance if the runway is too short can a heavy land? Where is the runway/airport located. The area's civilian population may not allow loud aircraft to occupy the local airspace. How big are the hangers to house these jets. Can the ANG recruit from the area? The bottom line is the price tag to upgrade facilities. All these questions are determined by what they call a SATAF. This is a team of experts that calculate feasibility and manning requirements.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join