It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Wayne air guard to receive F-16s

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Good news for the fort Wayne air guard.

m.therepublic.com...

The A-10's that are currently on the base will be retired.
When I was a kid they flew f-4 phantoms out of the base, man they were loud..
They switched to F-16s after that, those were loud but nothing like the phantoms. The a-10's now are so quiet they sneak up on you. Fun to watch though.
I wonder if the a-35's will ever pan out here, we shall see.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

It says that the f-16 will serve as a transition to the f-35:

The 122nd Fighter Wing's commander, Col. David Augustine, says the base's strategic goal is to eventually bring the U.S. military's next-generation fighter jet, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, to Fort Wayne. Gov. Mike Pence calls the F-16 the "perfect bridge mission" to the F-35.

S&F for the info.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Agreed on the A-10's ability to 'sneak up' on you.

I have had them pop over a hill 'on the deck' and if I had been in a vehicle...
Well, they would have wasted me and I wouldn't have even had a clue WTF had just happened to me.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, you look up to see them fly away. You don't see them coming.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i was out in the woods cutting up some downed trees one day when i cut the saw and heard what sounded like a saw still running. every so quite and distant. then in a matter of 15 seconds TWO A10's were overhead so low they made the trees shake like the wind was blowing and then gone just like that. low and FAST (slow in terms of planes in general) they were over the horizon before it even registered what they were, like the above poster, i woulda been blown to bits thinking someone was weed whacking nearby.

also im in Michigan and these bad boys were headed south. headed back to Indiana?
edit on 5-3-2014 by mindseye1609 because: overhead > over heard

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mindseye1609

I saw a jet fighter too but I was in Canada. It was about a year ago. Do you know the first thing I though when I saw it move with agility? UFO. It moved just like an UFO.

Of course, the sound took some time to catch up with the plane, so for a sec there I would have never saw it coming if I was't already looking up at the sky.

On that note... Isn't it easier for a military to take out a target when it stands in a desert farm field than when it stands in some skyscraper-filled city?

edit on 5-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
double post
edit on 5-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

You lost me on the city thing,,huh?
But yeah I would think it's easier in the desert.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

years ago i got to watch some flyboys engage in some dog fight training up north when we were out bird hunting. for a couple hours the 3 of us (My hunting party) sat down with the dogs and just stared in awe. UFO is about how to describe it. your mind doesn't want to believe whats happening. it just doesn't believe it could be real. them boys put those planes and themselves though some G's hogging those bad devils from side to side and its really just amazing what they can do/survive. definitely wouldnt ever wanna be on the receiving end of an Air battle thats for sure. no matter the country of origin for the pilot.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Just saying that maybe, just maybe, all this bad publicity about cities is to encourage people to move into more exposed areas.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it too much.

Still...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

a good video on the topic at hand if anyone else is bored

www.youtube.com...

heres the link if someone can help
edit on 5-3-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
FIRST UPLOAD COMPLETE! eat your heart out every nub too ats ever!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Mad about fazing out the A-10's.
The A-10 is the the ultimate air to ground flying tank.
I'm not knocking the F-16. But it can't take a hit and still fly home.

And a a kid I love the F-4. Loud? Heck yes!
But growing up in Reno NV. It's in a valley surrounded by mountains.
So when the F-4's were landing.
They produce a low tone whistle while landing that over took the entire Reno,Sparks area. I miss it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

As for the upcoming f-35, I hear it's tearing into piece during routing testing: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Where I live, they used to fly the F-16's all the time, 188th fighter wing, but was switched out for the A-10's, and personally I like the A-10s better, the perfect air to ground aircraft. The A-10s fly and practice just a few miles from where i work, so they are constantly making really sharp turns, almost looks like the are turning so much that they would stall any other plane that tight of turn, cool to watch. I do miss the awesome power those F-16s would make, just watching them take off, makes your feet all the way to your head vibrate with amazing power.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

swanne

As for the upcoming f-35, I hear it's tearing into piece during routing testing: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes it's a small problem that an extra few billions can handle.
You can always count on Zaphod to give you the goods on aircraft.
But Zaphod made a point on a different thread.
That we are in to far now. And we must get the F-35 up to par. There are to many new threats out there. That F-35 was designed to handle.
It's not just the aircraft itself we need. But more for its computer programs...Avionics that are needed.
They have been improving the F-35 slowly but it is coming along for a hefty price.
It is paramount that F-35 be fully functional..and fast.

Zaphod also pointed out that The A-10 will not go away just yet. And congress did uphold those actions 2 weeks ago.
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the A-10 is spared for a while longer.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Lucky.
Not to many folks get that kind of opportunity.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Agreed, the A10 is an awesome piece of kit, I used to live near a American base over here ( U.K), for a while a lot of A10's were based there, while out rabbit shooting, I didn't know they where there until overhead!. I think they're mad retiring them because theres still a place for them in a modern war/battle. Whatever replaces them will have big boots to fill.

B.V.H

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by billyvonhelvete

You lucky guy for being able to see them.
And you said it better then I.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Because of where I used to shoot, I had a "ringside seat", about a mile from the end of the runway, so they were really low, about 100 ft maximum! ! I was sad to see the base closed, R.A.F Sculthorpe was great, in its time, it had the longest airstrip in Europe, and always had interesting aeroplanes stationed there. Theres still very large under underground bunkers/storage, but above ground its just ruins. They still keep the airstrip maintained, and have exercises there. Its still owned by the m.o.d, and can be made active, if the sh#t hits the fan!!.

B.V.H

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join