Will Ukraine arm itself with nukes?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I was interested in knowing, as Ukraine was once part of the Soviet Union, as to whether or not they had any nuclear weapons stationed on their soil. What I found was, up till the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, Ukraine had the THIRD largest arsenal in the world, over 1900 warheads, more than Britain and China combined. Ukraine gave up its weapons in 1994, after signing the Budapest memorandum on Security assurances, which is basically gave Ukraine territorial integrity. The memorandum was signed by Russia, the United States, and the United Kingdom. That memorandum has now been trchnically broken with Russia's invasion of Ukraine territory. As they gave up their weapons at the behest of this assurance, they are now in a position where they can legally re-arm themselves.

In the past few days, there are rumblings of calls to do this.

The Ukrainian Svoboda party is one of the 5 main political parties in Ukraine. It is an ultra right wing nationalist party, and models itself somewhat after the German NAZI party. Its membership has been limited to ethnic Ukrainians. Their MPMikhail Golovko, has called to re-arm the country in light of recent events"

T. Mikhail Golovko, Svoboda MP (speaking Ukrainian): “We made a very grave mistake when we gave up [our] nuclear arsenal. And right now we need to make decisions on how we can defend our statehood and sovereignty. We need to consider a number of options. One option would be to restore [our nuclear arsenal], but it’s a very complicated issue, because we’d have to obtain assurances and agreements from those world powers that are entitled to give them. We can also consider the option of Ukraine joining NATO since this is also an alliance for collective security.”

The comment to join NATO is sure to inflame the situation even further. So now we have a situation where Ukraine may, in the next few months, attempt to make nuclear weapons, next door to a hostile Russia. It may not be easy. Ukraine does get about half its energy from atomic power, and has the largest nuclear power facility in Europe. The uranium they received up tp now from Russia to power the plants is low grade. Ukraine has now nuclear enrichment facilities, but its possible they could construct "dirty bombs". Ukraine DOES have biological weapons facilities that handled weaponized pathogens used by the Russians. Its possible they may still have some of these pathogens at the facilites.

Also there is the question as to whether or not Ukraine actually did surrender every nuclear weapon it had, I.E. the possibility that there may still be some "loose nukes" somewhere in Ukraine. During the breakup of the Soviet union, there were some sales of nuclear materials on the black market, this is documented. So even if Ukriane does not posses actual weapons, they may have weapons grade materials.

As a result, we may be moving into a very dangerous period in world history.
edit on 5-3-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Ukraine is capable of quickly building a few nukes themselves, using old Soviet Union facilities and nuclear fuel from several power stations. They also have means of delivering them or can build them as quickly.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Why would they need nukes now? They can just troll Russia and say to Putin that either he pulls back his military and Ukraine will "forget" the whole thing or they will request to be a NATO member and allow US missile bases. What's Putin going to do, invade Ukraine because of the possibility that they will have US missiles? Then he'd be in some *serious* trouble with the UN/NATO/entire world.
edit on 5-3-2014 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Despite all the hoopla, I'm almost 100% positive they didn't surrender all their nukes.

They would have been pretty foolish to. I'm thinking there are a lot of countries that deny or won't admit to having nukes but do.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Would the Ukraine actually threaten Russia with nukes or biological weapons?I think that would push Russia into over running the entire country if so.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well Putin must be reading ATS and this thread as it appears Russian troops have taken over missile sites

www.bbc.co.uk...

He is playing this global chess game very cleverly indeed and appears to be a Grand Master. Obama is playing checkers in comparison. Whilst Cameron is playing tiddly winks.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
Well Putin must be reading ATS and this thread as it appears Russian troops have taken over missile sites

I could see Obama trying to govern by reading ATS, but in Russia, ATS reads you.

Notes from Obama cabinet meeting:

I don't want to alarm anybody, but this morning I did some Googling, and it turns out the Ukraine might have some nukes. They used to be part of a team with Russia called the U.S.S.R. and Russia actually kept a bunch of nukes there; missles, subs, all that stuff. Can somebody look into this for me?

-BHO
sent from my iPhone

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Nukes that old would too radio active by now that they would be inoperable, the trigger board chips would be fried by now.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

That is one of the problems with political dialog between Russia and the US. Whereas one of our biggest pass times in the US is watching TV, one of the biggest ones in Russia is chess. Does affect the repective levels of thinking.

new topics

top topics

join