It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 Nobel Peace Prize Nominees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The official list of 2014 Nobel Peace Prize nominees is secret. However, some of the names have leaked out. Here is a list of those leaked names. Some surprises. Some you'd expect. The Nobel Peace Prize has become a joke for it's obvious politics and lousy choices, but you never know ... maybe they'll get it right this time and pick Malala Yousafzai or Pope Francis ... but I wouldn't count on it.

I put this in 'conspiracies' instead of current events because I do think the nominations are political based and there is a conspiracy behind the scenes. But if the mods feel this is more of a current event forum thing and they move it, I can understand that.

Global Post - Nobel Peace Prize Nominees include Malala, Pope Francis, Putin

Reuters - Putin Among Nobel Peace Prize Nominees

Russian President Vladimir Putin has been nominated for the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize - but the conflict in Ukraine is also likely to be on the Nobel committee's agenda.

A record 278 candidates, including 47 organizations, received nominations for the 2014 prize, said the Norwegian Nobel Institute's director, Geir Lundestad.

Committee members who met on Tuesday added their own proposals with a focus on recent turmoil around the globe

I can see him being nominated for what he did with Syria .. pulling us back from the brink of a world war. But the guy is KGB .. he's not a good guy in his own country (ask the homosexuals) and he's invading the Ukraine.

Also nominated (among others) - Pope Francis (I agree with), Pakistani teenager Malala Yousafzai (I agree with), Edward Snowden (I disagree with), Chelsey Manning (I disagree with), Uruguay President Jose Mujica, International Space Station Partnership.

Most nominees are unknown to the public.
However, there is a short list of those confirmed to have been nominated.
Directors Speculations 2014

- Edward Snowden
- Denis Mukwege
- Igor Kochetkov (Russia), Frank Mugisha (Uganda), Sunil Babu Pant (Nepal) and ILGA, The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association; for their fights for LGBT rights.
- Catherine Ashton, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security policy, along with Prime Ministers of Serbia and Kosovo, Ivaca Dačić and Hashim Thaçi.
- National Priorities Project.
- Ales Bialitski, Belarusian human rights activist. Nominated by Polish MPs.
- Yuan Longping, the Chinese 'father of hybrid rice', along with Indian geneticist Mankombu Sambasivan Swaminathan.
- Vladimir Putin, President of Russia.
- Mother Agnes Mariam of the Cross (Fadia Laham) and the Mussalaha (Reconciliation) Initiative in Syria.
- Malala Yousafzai.
- The Giulio Andreotti Institute and Secret Archives and its Director, Patricia Chilelli.
- Chelsea Manning, US whistleblower.
- José Mujica, President of Uruguay. Nominated by the Drugs Peace Institute, for his legalizing of marijuana.
- James Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- The "people of Lampedusa, represented by the highest authority of the island".
- The International Space Station (ISS) is nominated, according to Space Safety Magazine.
- Jockin Arputham and Shack/Slum Dwellers International.
- Gene Sharp, nonviolence advocate and peace researcher.
- The Nansen Dialogue Network.
- Military Religious Freedom Foundation provides a nomination text on their website.

Well, Obama got it for doing nothing more than repeating pretty speeches that were written by others. And Arafat got it even though he was a terrorist and continued to be all the while he was robbing the Palestinian people of millions in aid money. I suppose the president of Uruguay could get it because he legalized marijuana. (While I agree with doing that, it isn't worthy of a 'peace prize'.)

Any names missing that you'd think they should be considering?

edit on 3/5/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Never forget that Hitler was nominated for the nobel peace prize.

This "award" became irrelevant ever since.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Shuye

Even more so when Obama won it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
putin has stopprd hill...i mean obama from starting a couple of wars

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Danbones
putin has stopprd hill...i mean obama from starting a couple of wars

Yep. But at the same time, he has started a few of his own and he's terrorized certain segments of his own population. I give Putin credit with Syria. Without him, we'd be fully engaged in WWIII by now. But at the same time, he's not exactly 'Mr. Peace', ya' know? He isn't above pulling out the troops and the covert black ops around the world to further his own agenda ...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Are you talking about Putin or Obama ?

From your description you could be talking about either one of them.

I find it ironic that we are talking about what a terrible man Putin is when we have the best known terrorist sitting in the white house. We really need to clean up the garbage in our own back yard before we worry about what Putin is doing.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Diisenchanted
I find it ironic that we are talking about what a terrible man Putin is when we have the best known terrorist sitting in the white house. We really need to clean up the garbage in our own back yard before we worry about what Putin is doing.

We are talking about Nobel Peace Prize nominees and past winners. We are talking about how a bunch of them don't deserve it. Obama didn't deserve it. Putin doesn't deserve it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I nominate this guy

Why?

Because here he is just doing what he has to do. Dig a ditch, By hand, he's not bothering anybody, nor invading his neighbor, nor fighting in some ME country over resources, Nor crying in the street blaming everybody and their brother for his problems. Nope, Just saw what needed to be done and grabbed a shovel.

Who is he?

Does it really matter who he is? We all know that nominating and awarding people we do know hasn't really amounted to a hill of beans. Besides, most *not all, but most, that have been awarded the Nobel recently didn't really need the money in the first place. I think this lonely ditch digger would appreciate the monetary award more so than the past few posers winners.
edit on 5-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I nominate Chairman Mao! After all, China got pretty peaceful with 60 million less troublemakers to live in it, and it was all thanks to Mao for that brilliant stroke of idealism to wipe out everyone that didn't agree.

Why not? Given who the "Peace" prizes go to now, it makes just as much sense. Putin was nominated? lol.... Yeah... I rest my case.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Shuye

edit on 5-3-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

The Nobel Peace Prize is very much doublespeak.

It is normally awarded to people whom have more blood on their hands than people could image.

Peace indeed!

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Does anybody really take the Nobel prize seriously? Do they believe it has any weight? Look who has received it... and that out to be an embarrassment to those who in the past have been awarded it. Certainly 0bama receiving it has made the value and credibility suspect. Are not recipients supposed to be of integrity ??

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
With a few excepts, looks like a sad list. But what can be expected of the human race at this point.

But then it did go to Obama for accomplishing nothing.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No Al Gore mentions?

I hope the ISS takes the cake, I'd say it is the most deserving

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The only reason the majority of you are so derisive of the peace prize is because Obama was awarded it.

Remember that Obama didn't ask for the prize and he probably didn't want it. He couldn't realistically reject it as that would be saying he didn't advocate peace. But I'm sure you all agree that as President you have to make tough choices and do you think any other President other than Obama would have sat there at times of crisis and thought "How will this reflect on me as a Nobel Peace Prize winner?". If he'd acted in the interests of peace and the actual peace prize you'd all no doubt be decrying him as being weak etc etc.

I honestly think some of you haven't the slightest idea of some of the people who have won it or who they actually are. I mean maybe you should actually post a link to a list of past Nobel Prize Winners Also Obama wasn't the only President to win the Nobel Peace Prize as Theodore Roosevelt also won it, as did Woodrow Wilson.

Yes Yasser Arafat won it but he shared the prize with Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin and I'm sure there are just as many who wish those two hadn't won it either.

So apparently some of you don't think people such as Aung San Suu Kyi, Elie Wiesel, Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa or The Dalai Lama were worthy of the peace prize.

I'd like to know which people off the list of winners you don't think were worthy of winning and why. I can understand why some wouldn't like Arafat or Kissinger, but I think the majority of the people on that list are very worthy recipients.

The award could easily have been awarded to Putin last year but instead it was given to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Similar to the Oscars, the Nobel Peace Prize is in the danger of becoming irrelevant when it awards people like Obama or Putin. I`m sure Putin deserves various Prizes, but the Peace prize isn't one of them (and not for Syria either because there is no peace there and there will be none until Asshat is removed).

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Second.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I nominate president Comacho for being so #ing bad ass.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

After they handed it to Obama, I can't take anything from them seriously.

(And I'm in Norway.)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Anybody remember this one?

Vladimir Putin Wins Peace Prize!

top topics

join