It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An asteroid, which has been classed as “potentially hazardous” will come close to Earth tomorrow

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

jholt5638
Not sure what to make of this but the OP's link to the virtualtelescope is down in fact the whole site is 404d. I believe the site said 3:30PM is when it will be its closest. Seems odd that the one place where average people could track its movement goes down, I'll be getting in the basement now

Yep. Page not found.
It worked earlier. But now it don't exist. Odd.
But we are past the dead line for this rock.
I notice on the 404'd site. That 2 more are coming in the next 2 days.
One gets close to us.
And the one after get dangerously close.
But I can't find the site now..hmmm

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
And this new one 2014 EC coming tomorrow (oops), just seen today and coming closer.
I can't get my Java JPL to work so you will have to go in and look yourself.

2014 EC (risk listed, Earth MOID=0.1 LD, i=2.9°, H=28.1 ~8m, close passer) from the Catalina Sky Survey

from A/CC News
So this small one was discovered today and coming close tomorrow around the same time as 2014 DX110 is arriving today.

Close Approach for 2014 DX110
2014-Mar-05 21:00 < 00:01 Earth 0.00232 AU
2014-Mar-05 22:22 < 00:01 Moon 0.00249 AU
Close Approach for 2014 EC
2014-Mar-06 21:29 < 00:27 Earth 0.000413 AU
2014-Mar-06 23:11 < 00:27 Moon 0.002569 AU

Also to note this one: 2014 DN112 is a close passer but like I said my Java stopped working for JPL and i can't see the orbit diagram, nor are the close approach data listed, this one is much bigger, almost 1/2 a km. at H 19.9 discovered Feb 28 and risk listed.

edit on 3/5/2014 by whatnext21 because: Fixed dates

edit on 3/5/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/5/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I mentioned this to my buddy. He said it is not dangerous.
He said it's not big enough to be a problem.

Note: was the one in Russia no bigger than a bus. A bus is around 45-50 ft?
Look at the damage that caused just from sonic boom!
edit on 5-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Well the moon is 1.0 lunar distance.
An AU I thought was distance from sun and earth?
93 million miles..
And lunar is 252,088 miles.

Edit: it makes it suspicious that most of the sites that show diagrams are in fact down..
Makes ya think what's up when it does happen. And it happens often..
If you get a chance check out COMET LINEAR 209P. Set for late may.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

I have and it appears that a storm may be in the cards, damn i miss my orbit diagrams, can't they use something other than Java to view them?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Dang...is your CPU memory getting to full to work?
Or are they really trying to quell public panic?
I tried 5 of the websites I go to, plus the ones linked here..
All are 404'd at the moment.
It is possible the every body went to them at once and they simply crashed.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yeah all those broken windows.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Yeah all those broken windows.

Hehe..not just windows..but brick walls and shock pressure blew offices inward and schools.
And yes even them annoying car alarms went off!
They said the damages were in the tens of millions.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This IS really strange.
I have just tried " slooh " and got a 522 error.

I have never once had that error in all the time I've followed " Slooh ".

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

eriktheawful

violet
We , as in the general public wouldn't be told until it's within hours of imminent impact.
If it was leaked we wouldn't believe it either.
Where is there to escape to?

Because, of course, only governments have telescopes and keep track of asteroids, or are the only ones searching for them.

And the reporting system, orbit calculation, etc, involve many people , but the information would never get out.

And even if it did, there is no one here on ATS or elsewhere in the world that would be able to use the RA and Dec coordinates with their own telescopes to confirm or deny that information.....

Right?

Youre forgetting one fact, all those people you mentioned that have telescopes of their own and track asteroids, didnt see the one coming that exploded over Russia and caused all the havok......

Things get by, the sky is too large for things not to be missed........again.......case in point, Russia......now just imagine the destruction if that thing hadnt exploded and actually landed as a solid mass........

You act like its slim one would be missed, yet in a follow up post you say the exact opposite.......

Im finding it hard to decipher where you stand on the issue
Those people got lucky....
edit on 5-3-2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

ManBehindTheMask

eriktheawful

violet
We , as in the general public wouldn't be told until it's within hours of imminent impact.

Because, of course, only governments have telescopes and keep track of asteroids, or are the only ones searching for them.

And the reporting system, orbit calculation, etc, involve many people , but the information would never get out.

And even if it did, there is no one here on ATS or elsewhere in the world that would be able to use the RA and Dec coordinates with their own telescopes to confirm or deny that information.....

Right?

Youre forgetting one fact, all those people you mentioned that have telescopes of their own and track asteroids, didnt see the one coming that exploded over Russia and caused all the havok......

Things get by, the sky is too large for things not to be missed........again.......case in point, Russia......now just imagine the destruction if that thing hadnt exploded and actually landed as a solid mass........

You act like its slim one would be missed, yet in a follow up post you say the exact opposite.......

Im finding it hard to decipher where you stand on the issue
Those people got lucky....

If what you got out of what I said was: "It would be slim for us to miss one", the you didn't read my post, or the one I was replying to.

The accusation was that the dreaded "Powers That Be" are the ONLY ones that can detect asteroids, that they they would keep it hidden from the public.

My point was: You can't hide the sky from people.

Yes their will be a MULTITUDE of ones that are missed or not noticed, especially if they come from the direction of the sun. Kind of hard to see asteroids out in space during broad daylight.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

To echo eriktheawful's post above, my point was that asteroids are being actively looked for by amateurs and independant observatories. New findings are made public through the Minor Planet Center so that they could be verified (by anyone with a decent telescope and camera). If an asteroid is found to be on a collision course with us, it will be anounced. The news will spread like fire, there's no way to keep it secret.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Yeah I've seen Carol's speech, it's scary and relavating because we are in that time slot, scary times ahead

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

muSSang

Yeah I've seen Carol's speech, it's scary and relavating because we are in that time slot, scary times ahead

Don't you think it may be the case that we are finding more asteroids because we are now looking more and with better equipment?

An similar example would be the fact that we have found over 1000 exoplanets in the past 15 years, when prior to 15 years ago we knew of "zero" exoplanets. Obviously that increase in the discovery of exoplanets is only because we started looking for them; it obviously isn't the case that those planets just coincidentally popped into existence the same time we had the ability and equipment to find them.

By the way, there has also been an increase in fireball meteors caught on video, and an increase in fireball sightings reported in the news. However, the increase in fireball meteor videos may be due to an increase in cameras (webcams and security cameras becoming more ubiquitous), and in increase in fireball reports that you hear about may be due to the age of instant worldwide communication we have been living in for the past decade. 20 years ago, a fireball meteor could have shot across the sky on the other side of the world, but people on this side of the world probably would have not heard about it. Now if a fireball happens in, say, India, people in the U.S. hear about it the next day after the people in India talk about it on internet forums.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I'm still waiting for the "powers that be" to ask or convince the public to agree/commit to the weaponisation of space. Do we need to encounter aliens before that happens?

Hasn't some weaponisation of space already been worked on (and some of it deployed) since the Cold War, regardless of what the public think or want?
Militarisation of space
Almaz
edit on 6-3-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

violet

In Revelation it speaks of mighty men running and hiding under mountains because of astronomical events.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

wildespace

violet

Two words: amateur astronomers.

You probably aren't aware that they exist, and are the primary discoverers and trackers of asteroids.

Yes I am aware that's who discover most asteroids!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

wildespace

violet

Two words: amateur astronomers.

You probably aren't aware that they exist, and are the primary discoverers and trackers of asteroids.

Yes I am aware that's who discover most asteroids!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Don't you think it may be the case that we are finding more asteroids because we are now looking more and with better equipment?

The same thing happened for Communism, Terrorism, Rogue Nations. For each threat there was a response to it. Now that Asteroids are ramping up the propaganda will emphasize asteroid threats. Obviously, von Braun has got the sequence correct.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join