It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An asteroid, which has been classed as “potentially hazardous” will come close to Earth tomorrow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Get them telescopes ready DX110 will be closest to Earth around 8am on Thursday (AEDT).

DX110 belongs to a group of Earth-crossing asteroids known as the Apollo class, which pose a potential threat to humankind.
In February 2013, a giant Apollo-class meteor exploded over the town of Chelyabinsk in Russia.
The meteor explosion was 30 times stronger than the Hiroshima atomic bomb, shattering windows and injuring 1,500 people.

You can watch this pebble here.
Online observation telescope

Dx110 is no threat to us but its only a matter of time, just ask the dinosaurs!

My question is, if something was about to strike us, will we have warning? is there anything we can do?
Are we due for a major impact?

The space rock’s passing will again raise concerns about Earth’s vulnerability to asteroids, although scientists say it will not pose any threat,

Link

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
We , as in the general public wouldn't be told until it's within hours of imminent impact.
If it was leaked we wouldn't believe it either.
Where is there to escape to?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
no one will let us know and the elites will run to the bunkers. simple.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
it's been fun i must say. party time everybody!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Its sad to say but i think you are right, we would be lucky if we were told at all.
Maybe the Elite's are heading to there bunkers as we speak

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Do we know what part of the cosmos we were going through when the dinosaurs were wiped out? Are we there again or are we simply doodling out our existence at 5 pm on the edge of our universe never to repeat where we have come from as everything is spreading outwards slowly anyway?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The widespread destruction and chaos such a strike would cause is such a shame because I had a lot of plans tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

violet
We , as in the general public wouldn't be told until it's within hours of imminent impact.
If it was leaked we wouldn't believe it either.
Where is there to escape to?

Because, of course, only governments have telescopes and keep track of asteroids, or are the only ones searching for them.

And the reporting system, orbit calculation, etc, involve many people , but the information would never get out.

And even if it did, there is no one here on ATS or elsewhere in the world that would be able to use the RA and Dec coordinates with their own telescopes to confirm or deny that information.....

Right?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

violet

Two words: amateur astronomers.

You probably aren't aware that they exist, and are the primary discoverers and trackers of asteroids.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I am usually on the this is all bull side of the argument even having someone tell me arguing with me is100 Times worse than being waterboarding. LOL. But I am taking the scary route on this. This object was discovered ....wait for it.... five days ago. Yes five days. It got that close before we knew of its existence . If the track were a little different it could slam into us And five days would not have given us time to form a committee never mind a plan to deflect . Those who say that our technology could save us I say not always.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Well no amateurs saw it in this case. Or if they did they didn't say anything. We hear this when it's hours away and you still want to rely on the amateurs to advise you when s is headed for the fan?
For the most part asteroids are dark. We certainly could miss one. The one last year over Russia and this one surprised us. Who's to say an earth shattering giant couldn't approach unobserved as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

That sounds all logical and everything but the fact in this case is they didn't. No one saw it or if they did they kept quiet. I don't know. I'd like to believe you but all the eyes in the skies missed this puppy and who's to say they won't miss the kill shot too.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by muSSang

Why do we get to know this stuff only one day (or less) before it happens?

Right, we are too busy making war with each other.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Shiloh7
Do we know what part of the cosmos we were going through when the dinosaurs were wiped out? Are we there again or are we simply doodling out our existence at 5 pm on the edge of our universe never to repeat where we have come from as everything is spreading outwards slowly anyway?

As far as we know, asteroids do not come from outside our solar system, but instead have always been part of our solar system for 4.5 billion years, moving through the galaxy together with the other planets an other asteroids in our solar system. Asteroids are pieces leftover from the formation of the solar system, which formed from a disk of dust and gas.

It's quite possible that this asteroid (and maybe even the one that wiped out the dinosaurs) has been traveling around our solar system for those 4.5 Billion years, orbiting the Sun all that time, and maybe even had come close to Earth several times before over the eons. However, I doubt that any these asteroids reside an area outside the solar system, and the solar system just happens to pass through that area of space; that does not appear to be the case at all.

I suppose it is possible that an asteroid may find its way into our solar system from some place outside our solar system, but if so, then they would be very rare.

edit on 3/5/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

swanne
reply to post by muSSang

Why do we get to know this stuff only one day (or less) before it happens?

Right, we are too busy making war with each other.

Because they are too small to see until they get close (maybe too close). But, yeah, I suppose if we spent half the money we spend waging war, we would have the means and/or technology to learn about these sooner.

Having said that, now that Asteroid 2014 DX110 has been discovered, we now have plenty of warning before the next time it has a close encounter with Earth, which will be in 2046 (some estimates say that it has a 1 in 10 Million chance of hitting us in 2046).

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by eriktheawful

That sounds all logical and everything but the fact in this case is they didn't. No one saw it or if they did they kept quiet. I don't know. I'd like to believe you but all the eyes in the skies missed this puppy and who's to say they won't miss the kill shot too.

It was discovered by Pan-STARRS.

The asteroid came to opposition (furthest elongation in the sky from the Sun) on 15 February 2014, but the asteroid had a very faint apparent magnitude of about 23 and was only 10 degrees from the full moon.

So, you want us to be able to negate the brightness of a full moon, and spot a (rather small) object with a magnitude of +23 earlier, eh?

Not going to happen, at least not at a quick speed.

You have to take into account HOW things like this are spotted, or rather the area of the sky you are looking at to see an object this small and of that low of a magnitude:

Get a postage stamp. Now hold it at arms length from you up towards the sky. See it's size?

Now, take that same postage stamp, and put it about 50 feet from you. Now how big is it?

That's about the size of the area of the sky you are going to try and find an asteroid in...........Ah, but now you need to do it for the entire sphere of sky all around the Earth.

I believe there is a saying: "Needle in a hay stack." ?

Great idea to have as many people as possible watching the sky for things. But also hard to watch the entire sky, all night, every night, and not having a full moon at times.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
And to add to my post above that was in response to this post:

Shiloh7

To clarify: that the asteroid that may one day hit the Earth (whether that be in a million years or in a few years), is currently part of OUR solar system, currently orbiting the Sun....

...But an even more startling thought is that this "killer asteroid" may already be in the current orbital path that could one day collide with Earth. It may have nothing to do with "passing through a specific part of the galaxy", but instead the circumstances of a future impact (in a million years or in a few years) may have already been set in motion long ago, and the killer asteroid's normal orbit it has taken around our Sun for eons may one day intersect Earth.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People
...But an even more startling thought is that this "killer asteroid" may already be in the current orbital path that could one day collide with Earth. It may have nothing to do with "passing through a specific part of the galaxy", but instead the circumstances of a future impact (in a million years or in a few years) may have already been set in motion long ago, and the killer asteroid's normal orbit it has taken around our Sun for eons may one day intersect Earth.

Indeed. Somewhere, in our own solar system, in our home system, the asteroid which will bring destruction is silently orbiting, on its course to Earth, but we can never know which one it is, nor when it will be... Yet, if we were to inadvertently knock this asteroid out of its orbit out of pure luck, we would be postponing the armageddon...

Fascinating how things are indeed.

edit on 5-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Not sure what to make of this but the OP's link to the virtualtelescope is down in fact the whole site is 404d. I believe the site said 3:30PM is when it will be its closest. Seems odd that the one place where average people could track its movement goes down, I'll be getting in the basement now

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muSSang

The increase in asteroid threat reports was prognosticated/developed/introduced by Carol Rosin who worked with Wernher von Braun in the 1970's.

According to Rosin's Disclosure Video there is a discreet , step-by-step , escalation of threats, which are existential threats that will be used by the NWO to get the general public to agree/commit to the weaponization of space... which Rosin opposes and von Braun warned us about.

After the Chelyabinsk event there has been a large uptick in news for asteroid threat awareness; NASA and Russia have re-committed to accelerating NEO missions due to the threat of extinction (which is existential) that is posed by NEO randomly smashing into the Earth.

NASA even went so far to "wake up" sleeping satellites for the asteroid threat is such a grave concern for humanity. NASA has a public relations initiative that is trying to get more citizens involved in discovering NEO threats because ... the % of NEO's discovered remains very low.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join