It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 10 Americans think HTML is an STD, study finds

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

kx12x
Older folks aside, I personally tend to be the jack of all trades type. Not an expert on anything really, but try to learn a little bit about everything if possible, e.g. fixing my own PC, vehicles, things around the house, etc.. I think most people rely too much on other people to do these things for them and in the process, lose their drive to learn anything.

I wouldn't call myself a jack of all trades, I'm pretty bad at a whole load of things but something I've always made a point of understanding is that technology is not magic. It all operates on physical laws. And I've made sure that I do atleast understand the basics of how anything I use works, even if I'm not skilled enough to make certain repairs (I'm real bad with cars for example).

The programming language I'm not too worried about. I would think that people should be able to identify HTML as the primary web language but I don't expect them to know what it means or how to write it. Maybe even that is a bit much though... I equate that to knowing that something like airbags are a main safety technology in cars.

The only other technical term I would expect someone to have some concept of is gigabyte because storage capacity is one of the primary marketing techniques on virtually any electronic device. Expecting people to understand the scale between kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, and terabyte is probably a bit much (or maybe not so much with gigabyte-terabyte... terabyte hard drives are common these days) but I do think they should be able to identify what it is, even if they can't quantify just how much storage something is relative to their file sizes.

Having a background that's very computer based though, maybe I'm still expecting too much from people.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

crazyewok

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm confused. What's so bad about a bunch of people not knowing jargon for a certain industry? I'm going to throw some military jargon at you, let me know if you understand them all without using Google:
MLRS
FA
latrine
foxtrot
parade rest
double time

Not to say that Americans in large part aren't uniformed, I just think that technical terms for computers isn't a good judge of that uninformedness.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

Ok il try. Non military here.
MLRS: rocket system
Latrine: toliet.
Foxtrot: class of submarine or call sign
Double time: a form of quick martch
Dont know:
Parade rest or FA
Though fa il guess as field artillary?
edit on 6-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

-Multiple Lunch Rocket System
-Field Artillery
-toilet
-Military alphabet for the letter F
-A more relaxed position to stand at then standing at attention. Feet are spread shoulder width apart and hands are clasped behind your back right above your waist
-running or moving at 180 steps per minute

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I got 5/6 then
What do I win?

Like Wrabbit though its form reading lots and lots of books.
edit on 6-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

You win SOS until you cry for mercy and admit you're SOL.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by crazyewok

You win SOS until you cry for mercy and admit you're SOL.

Haha now you lost me. You win the Acronym battle

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
1 in 10 think HTML is an area code?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
And these people have guns

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join