It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

98-foot asteroid flashes between moon and Earth within 24 hours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Didn't see this posted anywhere!

rt.com...

An Apollo class asteroid is expected to whizz between the Earth and the moon on March 5. The 98-foot-wide space rock is expected to come within 218,000 miles of earth (0.9 lunar distances), creating quite the site for stargazers.

The asteroid, named 2014 DX110, is expected to make its closest approach at 21:07 GMT on Wednesday at a blistering speed of 14.85 km/s (32,076 mph). Although the space rock poses no threat to earth, it highlights the earth’s susceptibility to near-Earth asteroids.

For amateur astronomers interested in watching the flyby as it happens, the virtual telescope project will offer live coverage via Slooh, which allows viewers to peer through a telescope via the web.

Get the popcorn ready, might be a good show!

Here's a good movie to watch as we wait...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

You do realize even with a really good telescope this object is going to be nearly impossible to see right?? Its 98 ft across. Thats teeny tiny. The moon is 36,960,000 feet across and even it doesnt look that big from here. Keep in mind its going to be 218 000 miles from us. 5280 feet in a mile.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I know that.

Now let me get back to the movie

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Another one!!!

Maybe those mayans weren't as wrong as people think!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
it seems as if the earth is protected from real impacts..
just like the lack of earth directed solar flares..
..hmm
I realize it wont hit us,. but just a reminder to some..
the one that hit Arizona was not big either.. and that was a Mile wide crator

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Did the Mayans predict that asteroids would fly by the Earth at pretty far distances?
218,000 miles is still 218,000 miles away from the planet.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

opethPA

VoidHawk

Did the Mayans predict that asteroids would fly by the Earth at pretty far distances?
218,000 miles is still 218,000 miles away from the planet.

Well, I wasn't being 100% serious, however, in astronomical terms 218,000 miles is a knats whisker

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Well, I wasn't being 100% serious, however, in astronomical terms 218,000 miles is a knats whisker

As a side note I am watching Armageddon for the 800th time right now so we have nothing to worry about!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

The moon is 36,960,000 feet across and even it doesnt look that big from here.

It looks to be about 11.3 million feet across. I could be wrong.

Although, that doesn't change the fact that no one will see the rock shooting past.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yea really active. There have been over thirty-five recent fireballs and there are three asteroids incoming. One is a strike with a code of Deven to nine meaning they really don't know where it is going to hit.

Listen this is just beginning, going to be severe comet debris field in may. We will start getting hit this month with strays. Look for possible more earthquake activity tomorrow into Thursday.

This is going to be big event, have your hole dug before may. Watch where the one percent are going, follow them and crash the party. We are going to need shelters for this one I think lol....

Let's pray things change but don't look for info from nasa, they only give it to the one percent club.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Zarniwoop
reply to post by Hijinx

The moon is 36,960,000 feet across and even it doesnt look that big from here.

It looks to be about 11.3 million feet across. I could be wrong.

Although, that doesn't change the fact that no one will see the rock shooting past.

Did you see the blast on the sun couple days ago. One of the sechi satellites and there was a blast, explosion like something hit it. The blast was huge and something huge, as big or bigger than the earth blasted out and went shooting past the earth. It was very close but yet no one talked about it. This was a planet killer and at the least they should have told us about it.

Who do they think they are, they work for us and we pay their salary. We should be first not the one percent.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
COOL!!!!

BUT...here is my question: I read on another article, that the asteroid will pass 9/10 the distance from earth to the moon. SO....how close will it be to the MOON? I know its had a couple of big impacts lately, what if this asteroid is part of whatever group has been hitting it? Now THAT would be a good show!!
edit on 4-3-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So....

our scientist so unprepared for this event ?

They should create a satellite to attach to the asteroid already with the money we gave them, but nope, they did not, and we have to wait until who knows when to attach a satellite to a passing rock.

Probably it will go further than voyager or a new different path altogether and 6 billion people miss it ?, at guess we should satified having "hi def close snapshot of the asteroid", if that achievable at all.
Cmon people, free hike on the asteroid! Free ride to the stars and beyond and we miss it, duh.

Disclaimer: I agree, how to attach to the satellite is a big part of the problem, but I know it can be done, but the problem remain, why its not there ?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Did you see the blast on the sun couple days ago

Nope.

Not really related to this thread.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

and 98 ft across is non existant.....

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Good catch, I took 7000 miles which is roughly how far around the moon it is. So I was wrong, 11 million miles is still huge compared to 98 ft. Was using my mobile when I grabbed stats and did math.

Still the point is/was 98 ft is less than the pimple on a flies ass compared to the moon, and even smaller compare to the earth.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Uh, huh. Something the size of Earth went blasting out of the sun, and managed to pass us with out anyone of the millions of amateur astronomers taking note....

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This is another warning.This miss is a flea's whisker in space distance.When I think one strike would send us back to the stone age without even attempting some kind of planetary defense troubles me.Remember the dinosaurs?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

It applies to the thread because it launched one or more asteroids at us at high speed. As for astronomers, it was an amateur watching the sun on satellites that saw the object. But I doubt anyone would have picked it up at the rate of speed it was traveling. I am sure the smart people can figure out how far away it was. Course the angle made it look very close but it could have been really far.

For me the point is more that the people whose salaries we pay does not tell of any of these things. They are not acknowledging the large radiation plume swallowing Hawaii and the West coast, they don't bother to tell us of dangerous pollution now hitting us from China, you don't here about leaks at two nuclear plants and one being threatened by failing damn, shall we go on and on......

These asteroids are another possible catastrophe they don't want to discuss. Ask them why they took down the sky fence which would have found all of these asteroids with much more time to track them. Very cheap technology that we know works very well but they just decided they did not need it even though they had no replacement.

Bad stuff here guys, gets me very angry... Anyone wants link to video shows that object let me know.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

westcoast
COOL!!!!

BUT...here is my question: I read on another article, that the asteroid will pass 9/10 the distance from earth to the moon. SO....how close will it be to the MOON? I know its had a couple of big impacts lately, what if this asteroid is part of whatever group has been hitting it? Now THAT would be a good show!!
edit on 4-3-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Because of where the moon is right now and the path of the asteroid, 2014 DX110 will only get within 231,000 miles of the moon.

So it's actually passing by us closer then it will the moon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join