It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Causes Girl To Get Frost Bite

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
How has it happened that people NEED to follow rules so strictly, that they lack the ability to stray away from them and use some common sense? Where has initiative gone?

Apparently a school in Minnesota lost all common sense and forced a 14 year old girl to stand outside in... wait for it -

It was 5 degrees below zero in St. Paul that day. With the windchill, it was 25 degrees below zero.

Furious wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole IMO. SOMEBODY could have spared a thought to how painful this must have been for this girl. BUT EVERYBODY stood by and just let it happen. That seems to be happening a lot lately.

A Minnesota public high school was so committed to obeying its fire drill policy to the exact letter of the law that it forced a female student–dressed only in a swimsuit, and sopping wet–to stand outside in the freezing cold for ten minutes. As a result, she suffered frostbite.

Who would have thought she would have suffered frostbite? C'mon guys.... you are supposed to be educators here.

Hagen-Tietz asked to wait inside an employee’s car, or at the elementary school across the street. But administrators believed that this would violate official policy, and could get the school in trouble, so they opted to simply let the girl freeze.

Her fellow classmates, at least, huddled around her to try to keep her warm. And one teacher did eventually lend her a coat.

Still, Hagen-Tietz came down with frostbite on her feet, according to her mother, Eva Tietz, who took her to the doctor as soon as she found out what had happened.

So the classmates had common sense and compassion... BUT a teacher did EVENTUALLY lend her a coat. Eventually? What adult would not lend a freezing child their coat to begin with?

The mother had this to say:

“If I had a fire and brought my children out in that condition, you know, I’m sure I would be charged in some way or another if I didn’t instantly bring them into a neighbor’s house or someplace else,” she said, according to WCCO. “The ultimate goal is to keep them safe and protect your children, and, in this instance, they did a really poor job.”

She gets it. She's dead on the money. It seems there is acceptable abuse and non acceptable abuse going on. The difference? If it's your child it's unacceptable. Anybody else seems to get off with a "oops... we will try to do better in the future".

The school district issued a statement saying only that it routinely reviews such policies.

Principal Dan Mesick did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I don't suppose the principle will respond at all. I figure he is at least intelligent enough to let his lawyer handle all further communication.

Nobody ever used to worry about sending their kids to school. To say this was a bad decision... grossly underestimates the entire situation IMO.

Source:
There is video as well.
dailycaller.com...

edit on 3/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow. Just... wow. The lunatics truly are running the asylum. I have no hope for the future of this country.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
damn her toes, we must follow protocol, it's for the children's safety.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
But if they dont follow the rules then what's the point of having them?
/sarc off

I think a big part of the problem is the staff at the schools these days are so damn scared of losing their jobs that they'll just obey any rule thats placed in front of them.
Common sense has no place in schools these days, just obey the rules.
edit on 4-3-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Above -40 c (or f, I think it is the same)? too bad. Get outside. Cold? Start running.

What is with people these days? I got frost bite once. It happens. So does cold weather.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Atrax72
Wow. Just... wow. The lunatics truly are running the asylum. I have no hope for the future of this country.

It seems that way more and more lately. I agree.

hounddoghowlie

I read that as, damn the torpedoes at first.
I think this line of thinking is exactly what they are doing. It's like they have blinders on and can't see any other action/reaction than what has "been written". It's a tad scary really.

MALBOSIA
Above -40 c (or f, I think it is the same)? too bad. Get outside. Cold? Start running.

What is with people these days? I got frost bite once. It happens. So does cold weather.

That's ludicrous. I don't know if you are a parent or not, but I would not be happy to have my daughter come home from school with frost bite. Damn the reason for it. Period.

I don't know "What is with people these days?" that expect for public schools not to inflict pain upon our children and risk their safety by simply refusing to use some common sense. Weird.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The purpose of a rule is for safety. If the rule makes for an unsafe condition, it's a bad rule. An adjustment is in order.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

You'd think that, but if they are part of the teachers' union, they have excellent protection from being fired.

This is just blind obedience combined with a general lack of compassion.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
this is quite sad .. but i see t his type of 'stupidity' in people all around me .. apparently smart people, that not only do extremely stupid things .. but look through me like im making a deal out of nothing, when i point out their stupidity ..

call it TV .. or something in the water or food or whatever .. i have no idea .. but .. its not a case of 'being dumbed down' .. so much as ... we have 'BEEN' dumbed down ..

personally .. i think since the brain is like a muscle .. and different areas of the brain, get better at what they do, the more they do it .. and as we all know, are constantly rewiring themselves, with regards to their experience or our thoughts etc ...

but when you have a television that can tell you what to think, to save you having to work things out for yourself .. and no need to question things for yourself anymore, and make the brain work .. no .. let us switch that part of the brain off, it will get weaker since you wont be using it much anymore ... we will do your thinking for you ..

i suspect a lot of people arent as good at 'common sense reasoning' as we once were, when we were more accustomed of using our brains to 'THINK FOR OUR SELVES' .. rather than have whatever part of the brain it is we use for this type of reasoning, zombified ...

thats my 2 pence worth .. and worth every penny ...
edit on 4-3-2014 by Segenam because: wheeeeEEEEeeeee......

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

hounddoghowlie

I read that as, damn the torpedoes at first.
I think this line of thinking is exactly what they are doing. It's like they have blinders on and can't see any other action/reaction than what has "been written". It's a tad scary really.

that's what happens when people stop using common sense and follow rules as written. no questions asked.
this is exactly what the government wants, non thinkers that do as instructed. then when a problem arises, let the government figure out how to fix it.

in my day, some teacher would have taken care of the young lady and there would have been no problem.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm not in anyway sticking up for the school, but several of us in this thread have mentioned common sense, so I have to wonder why the girl didn't use her common sense. Why didn't she run for the nearest warm place?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

VoidHawk
I'm not in anyway sticking up for the school, but several of us in this thread have mentioned common sense, so I have to wonder why the girl didn't use her common sense. Why didn't she run for the nearest warm place?

sad fact is that good kids, that follow rules, think that the non thinkers are working for their own good.
which is another thing the government wants.

dumb us all down.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

VoidHawk

I actually did wonder the same thing. I would have done it back in my day and not cared about the consequences. However, maybe she was scared of being suspended and having that on her permanent record if/when she applied for scholarships/colleges and didn't want that to affect her future in a detrimental way?

I am not sure if stuff like that shows up when you apply for those things so I am just guessing at this point.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Because she's the beginning of the process that leads to the outcome of her frostbitten feet. The adults who were supposed to be looking out for her are the end product. That she stood there and let her feet freeze shows how far under the sway of the lack of thought regime she has fallen.

Maybe after this she will wake up and stop being so trusting of authority.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

VoidHawk

I actually did wonder the same thing. I would have done it back in my day and not cared about the consequences. However, maybe she was scared of being suspended and having that on her permanent record if/when she applied for scholarships/colleges and didn't want that to affect her future in a detrimental way?

I am not sure if stuff like that shows up when you apply for those things so I am just guessing at this point.

Me too. But as you say, she's got a permanent reord to be worried about, and what a nasty idea that is eh?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Actually, she did the polite and expected thing--she asked to go to the nearby elementary school and was denied. Both schools are within a neighborhood so unless she was going to run to some total stranger's house in a bathing suit (a whole other security issue in and of itself), then there was nowhere to go after she was denied the elementary school.

goo.gl...

See? Nada there. Not even a 7-11.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

VoidHawk

Actually, she did the polite and expected thing--she asked to go to the nearby elementary school and was denied. Both schools are within a neighborhood so unless she was going to run to some total stranger's house in a bathing suit (a whole other security issue in and of itself), then there was nowhere to go after she was denied the elementary school.

goo.gl...

See? Nada there. Not even a 7-11.

In that case, had I been her, I would have run back into the school, after all, it was just a practice! But as discussed above, what happened really does show just how conditioned the kids are these days.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Schools locally are run in a more "security conscious" fashion these days. All external doors locked and, during the drills, it requires a staff member to open a door. We just had our own little puzzled fire drill logic at my house as my youngest's school opted to have a fire drill during a severe wind alert. Made me kind of wonder why they didn't, I don't know, reschedule for the next day when the storm would have passed? Nah, more fun to watch kids get buffeted by high powered winds.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Schools locally are run in a more "security conscious" fashion these days. All external doors locked and, during the drills, it requires a staff member to open a door. We just had our own little puzzled fire drill logic at my house as my youngest's school opted to have a fire drill during a severe wind alert. Made me kind of wonder why they didn't, I don't know, reschedule for the next day when the storm would have passed? Nah, more fun to watch kids get buffeted by high powered winds.

They lock the doors when there's a fire? or just when its a practice? What if someone was slow to evacuate, how will they get out if all the doors are locked? That just seems insane to me!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

The doors can be opened from the inside but automatically lock when closed from the outside. They are safety fire doors. My guess is that most schools have doors like this now. I know that my youngest, when in elementary school, made the mistake of running back to grab her coat and was locked out of the school for 20 minutes before somebody noticed her tapping on the glass. Her teacher didn't even notice her being missing...The level of impressed I was with that one was zero.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join