It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought experiment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Come on all you great philosophers and deep tinkers we need your input

A guy is going to be executed at 12midnight. All his appeals have been exhausted. The state is determined to execute him for murder. Though there is, according to many, reliable possibilities of his innocence, yet the state is adamant he will die midnight. Yet there is doubt of his guilt.

Question. How are we to think? What subjective attitude do we take?
Should we desire him to be innocent or desire him to be guilty

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Perhaps not very deep but..

Proof Beyond A Reasonable Doubt:

Highest burden of proof in a criminal case, placed normally on the prosecution. Because under common law the defendant is presumed innocent, his or her guilt must be proven to the entire satisfaction of the judge or jury. This term, however, does not imply 'beyond a shadow of a doubt.' If the evidence is so strong that there is only a remote possibility (and no probability) of an extenuating circumstance, the guilt is then deemed to have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Not perfect. I think it's moral. Bearing in mind the moral ramifications of the criminal injuring more innocent lives upon release should be factored in.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Maybe if you actually gave us a clue to the actual situation or a link we can look the case over a little bit we might get a little further here.

Or, is this suppose to be hypothetical?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

In the American system, if 'all appeals have been exhausted' then there is no recourse; your (hopefully) hypothetical person will be executed as ordained by the State.

We should not "feel" this way or that, but continue to seek the truth about the case, because in that way, the person executed can make their mark, regardless of the outcome of the investigations.

I believe in the death penalty for certain crimes. I also believe there have been those who were wrongfully executed. If we care about the constructs of humanity, we must explore the reasoning behind these cases and hope to tweak the legislation and the system into one that is less fallible.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

As of 12:01 tomorrow it won't matter how we desire his innocence or guilt. Since it was left up to, I'm assuming, 12 jurors ,1 judge and 1 Governor (who isn't giving a stay of execution) there's not much more to it.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

neither, I think id just like him to have a fair trial. Also you said a lot of people have doubts about his guilt, don't u use the term unsafe in the US? Because this sounds unsafe to me. also I love to know thee reason the state are so determined to prosecute.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

You’re missing the point of the thought experiment
It’s not about what’s legal for the man is going to be executed without a doubt.
There is a degree of doubt in reality not legally for he has been convicted in a court of law and sentenced.

This thought experiment is about the inner subjective thinking mind:

For example thinking may go like this over the matter:

“For if he is innocent it really sucks”

“It’s best he be guilty so another crime won’t be enacted when he is executed.”

“It’s best he be innocent for his own good”

I want peoples TRUE inner subjective feelings and thoughts NOT LINEAR LEGAL OR PHILOSOPHICAL IDEAS.
Its a thought experiment

edit on 4-3-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Yes. its a thought experiment

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Too many innocent people have been killed by mistake!!!
Capital punishment is also unfair on the relatives, for example, imagine YOUR child being told that daddy is going to be killed tonight.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

It doesn't matter that it doesn't matter. How does you mind and heart feel about him being guilty or innocent.

Is it better or worse in the great scheme of things whether he is innocent or guilty?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Do you think its better whether he was guilty or innocent?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Should we desire him to be innocent:

That is emotionally healthy for us, IMO. It means we have empathy for our fellow man,including convicted killers. Unfortunately, it also implies that the real killer is still out there. This is a bad situation, because an innocent man is being put to death while the threat of murder remains outside the prison walls.

Should we desire him to be guilty:

It's a dark part of human nature that secretly (or even openly) wants our enemies to fry. It's better to teach love and be loved than enforce eye-for-an-eye justice in this way. However, some kind of justice is actually taking place. The real killer is being removed permanently from society, guaranteed to never kill again.

edit: I should learn to type faster
edit on 4-3-2014 by DeadGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

It's worse if he's innocent and it's better if he's guilty.

Maybe I can't think deep enough but I'm not really getting the point of this experiment.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
There is little room for thought in your thought experiment.

In olden days they would just say something like, "May God have mercy on his soul… proceed."

Its a kind of catchall… just in case.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadGhost

You get an a+

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Excellent, I like the analytical

The deepness will come

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Laugh at the hypocrisy. Murdering a man for murder.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

This thought experiment is about the inner subjective thinking mind:

For example thinking may go like this over the matter:

“For if he is innocent it really sucks”

“It’s best he be guilty so another crime won’t be enacted when he is executed.”

“It’s best he be innocent for his own good”

Refer to my last sentence in my first post. That's your answer.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

He’s not going to be released…he’s going to die!

Right before his excucution and with the knowledge that he may be innocent possibly, yet a legal jury sent him to the gas chamber

Do you want him to be innocent or guilty?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

What to think? Conviction by a jury of his peers. Thats enough. There have been untold 100's of thousands of people executed whom either may or may not have been guilty beyond doubt...even WITH some doubt.

And we have appeals in the system. But, we do have a system.....though flawed at times.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join