It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Random Thoughts Without a Topic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm a bit bored and the forums are slow today. I thought I'd post my random thoughts without a topic. Feel free to post your own random thoughts or to comment on my random thoughts. Maybe something will morph into a good conversation for a thread ...

- We really are alone. When we go through life, there are billions of people around us and interacting with us, but we are alone inside the shell we call a body. It is only us experiencing that moment in that exact way. When we die, even if we have a dozen family and friends around the our death bed, it's still just our own experience.

- When it comes to the 'god' of the Old Testament, I might have it all wrong. I've been saying that the God portrayed in the Old Testament is a jealous, mean, cruel, murdering S.O.B. and that what is written down as 'coming from God' is really just coming from people. But when I look at the state of the world, and the fact that daddy-God hasn't stepped in and straightened His kids out, I'm wondering if maybe the 'god' of the Old Testament really is God and he's just a P**** (self edited, fill in the blank). Or maybe I had it right the first time and I'm just in a mood today ....

- Bacon is the best food on the planet.

- Best candy = Pixy Stix, Sweet Tarts, Good N Plentys. Oh .. and ol' fashioned basic Hersey Bars. mmm

- I wish I knew then, what I know now. I would have done things differently. When I was 19 I was offered a scholarship to USMAPS, the US Military Academy Prep School (that gets people ready for West Point). I turned it down. Looking back, that was STUPID. I had no proper guidance from people and I just let it go. I wish I had gone. Lesson learned - young people need good guidance.

- I like snow. I know that people are saying they are sick of winter, but by golly I like the snow. I like the clean crisp air. I like the white glitter of snow. I like the pretty blue sky in the winter after it snows. I like seeing bird tracks on the snow. I'd rather it be winter than summer.

- Oct/Nov/Dec = best time of the year. July and August = not so much.

- "My drink" - Gin and tonic with a twist of lime. I used to like OUZO too, and white wine.

- I still think of JSOBECKY (aka Mishigas). RIP

- I read the other day that the average person changes their entire circle of friends once every seven years. I found that interesting. Looking back, I have to say that's true with me. I have a few that have lasted for decades. But the vast majority come and go within seven years. Everything changes.

- My 17 year old daughter has a friend from school who is terminally ill with Midline Cancer. He's just 18 and a really good kid. This is the second friend she has that will have passed away early. Her other friend died at age 16 from epilepsy. I can't imagine the pressure on a kid of that age receiving that kind of news.

- Most everyone looks to others for inspiration when things get hard. When things get tough or difficult I think about the American pioneers ... their trek across the country .. their difficulties .. and how they persevered. I look to them for inspiration. I try to do them proud by how I handle difficult things. (It doesn't always work, but I try)

- Lots of women like to cook and exchange recipes. They have 'cookie parties' and things like that. I just view cooking as a necessity. I like to eat ... but cooking is just a chore that has to get done.

- I wish I could visit the USA a few hundred years ago .. before it became so over crowded. I bet the woodlands were very nice. And I bet the night sky looked great without all the light pollution.

- Every house I've ever lived in has been haunted. Every last one.

- Best place to visit in Philadelphia - the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Man .. awesome place!!

- Best place I've visited - Croatia. Big snow capped mountains. Wild ocean. Steep cliffs. Nice people.

- Worst place I've visited - Caracas. Dirty water. Dirty city. Lots of crime. Loud. People would screw over their own mothers to get something. Hated it.

- Best movie ever - God Father II. Second best movie ever - God Father I.

- Best breakfast cereal - Great Grains. And when in a junk food mood - Captain Crunch.
(I can't eat either of them anymore, but they are still my favorites)

- Why is it that whenever a road is having pot holes being repaired, there are 10 guys standing around with shovels in their hands, but only one is actually doing any work??

- Coke or Pepsi? Can you taste the difference? When I could drink them, I could. I liked Pepsi better.

- Cats rule. Dogs not so much. I'd love to have a bird. But pets have gotten so expensive that, after our beagle dies, we won't be getting any more animals. Their health care is as expensive as human health care. Having a pet nowadays isn't like it was back in the 50's or 60's.

Anyways, that's some of my random thoughts for general 'chit chat'.
Feel free to add your own random thoughts.
Who knows, maybe we'll find a few good topics to discuss ....

edit on 3/4/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Nice idle thoughts. I enjoyed reading them.

When it comes to the 'god' of the Old Testament, I might have it all wrong. I've been saying that the God portrayed in the Old Testament is a jealous, mean, cruel, murdering S.O.B. and that what is written down as 'coming from God' is really just coming from people. But when I look at the state of the world, and the fact that daddy-God hasn't stepped in and straightened His kids out, I'm wondering if maybe the 'god' of the Old Testament really is God and he's just a P**** (self edited, fill in the blank). Or maybe I had it right the first time and I'm just in a mood today

At least the Old Testament was an interesting read, and that God was a more interesting God. It was the better of the two as far as fables go.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Can you help my friend? I'm reaching out on behalf of a friend of mine who needs some help who wishes to remain anonymous. His wife told him to go out and get some of those pills that would help him get an erection. When he came back, he handed her diet pills. Anyway, he's looking for a place to live. Can you help him?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

You can have some of my snow!

I am one of those who can't wait for winter to end..lol

It started in October,and has not let up since. That picture is of the parking garage at my building, under a 15 foot drift!
Yuck, but still kind of cool...chilly in fact!
( 14 f here today, which is much better than the months of -25,almost a heat wave)
*babbles to himself about shnosticles and snow blowers*

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I can help with that one. Teach him to fantasize while with mama.....

Hmmm, God. Seems to me that when He finished on the "seventh day". He dusted his hands off and left the premises. Everyone has been trying to write the sequel ever since...

Put a coke machine beside a pepsi machine and the coke sells out first every time.

I miss the smell of leaded gasoline exhaust...

S... doesn't "happen" it's manufactured....
edit on 4-3-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Sure ... ship it over. I love snow. I love winter. I can't deal with summer anymore.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
-Good N Plenty? Yes! I still sometimes try to nibble off the candy shell before I eat the licorice inside. Either that or eat them in small handfuls (I'm a man of extremes). Speaking of which, you likely have to be of a certain age to remember this:

-I used to work for a municipal public works dpt. We were told that if we didn't have anything useful to do, to at least lean on a shovel so as not to look so bad.

-Whatever happened to blocula? I miss his crazy self.

-A bit of armchair philosophy: My entire life (of 51 years), from birth until now, has led up to what I am doing this very moment. I think of this sometimes to take stock of myself. Is it something positive? Sometimes this inspires me to do something better. Or at least lay off the sauce. Just kidding, I haven't had a drink for 13 years, it was just causing too much trouble.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I can totally taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Coke kind of tastes like what fizzy urine might taste like (I don't know what urine tastes like for sure so shush peanut gallery!). I can't do regular Pepsi anymore at all though as it tastes wretched to me. Pepsi Throwback all the way. I know I've got that gene that makes aspartame taste terrible. Sometimes I wonder if there's a similar effect with high fructose corn syrup as I actually like Mexican Coke (sounds like a drug lol) and they use sugar too.

As far as your daughter goes, it's really very rough to lose friends at any time but in high school, it just seems even more poignant. Maybe because the kids are all supposed to be really starting out in life soon and it's nipped at the bud. Two of my friends in high school died in separate auto accidents due to drunk drivers. Even though it's been 20 some years since then, I never forget them and I was the designated driver for years and years til I settled down. She'll miss them. She'll never forget them. She'll survive it though. Just give her lots of hugs and support, which I'm betting you're already doing.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Huh, I spent my morning proofreading. I've been moved to the retail accounts. I now proofread for a large bookstore. After this morning, I can spell The Pigeon Needs a Bath! and It's an Orange Aardvark! in my sleep. I also added about 15 books to my Amazon wish list ... I think I better look into getting a Kindle or else I will have way more books than wall space.

I hate driving when the snow is melting. I always get water thrown up on my windshield that dries into horrid, streaky stuff that I can't see through. At least it was warm enough that my windshield wiper fluid was thawed.

When going to pick up a new flat screen TV stand, don't put off buying the one you want because by the time you go back in two weeks, it will have been put on clearance and every single one in the entire city will be sold out. I guess everyone else wanted that one too, but not enough to pay full price.

Why is it so hard to find a good source for basic Chinese mythology, including what they call demons, on the Internet?

It's a good and sort of scary moment to discover for the first time that your 3-year-old can understand that you and your husband are talking about your respective days enough that he suddenly interjects into your conversation that he had fun at daycare.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I love reading these random thoughts without a topic.
I hope more people post theirs. It's fun.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I also used to be able to tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Pepsi was much sweeter on first bite and always made my teeth feel gritty a lot faster (like they'd been etched with acid). Coke had a bit more bite and was less initially sweet and didn't make my teeth feel funky as fast.

I can't drink them anymore thanks to medication making them both taste craptastic which is all to the good. I'm healthier for it. Although I will admit there was nothing better for clearing out a gunky throat than Coke when you had a cold and everything was draining down your throat.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Bacon~ is the best food...I agree... But I had to switch to turkey bacon because I don't eat pork anymore. It's not the same...but it still tastes yummy to my taste buds, and it seems like it's healthy...

Mmm...candy... Skittles.

Cats~~ I have two black ones. One is named Bob Dylan and the other is Charlie Chaplin.
I don't ever want a dog... I feel they are great pets and I like my friends dogs in all...I just don't want one of my own. My cats are enough.

Life~~ I've questioned life so much.. Said "life's not fair" so many times. It's confusing and heartbreaking at times. I try to look at the beauty and sometimes it's just hard to see.. I've almost met my end three times now... I gotta be here for a reason. My last incident where I should've died...left me with traumatic brain injury that won't let me rest.

Music~ I'm so glad we have music to listen to. I really like to dance. It keeps me in shape and when I'm angry it helps me dance my frustrations out

Death~ does not come easy. I feel I'm still struggling with my moms passing. Which was may29, 2011. She was an alcoholic. I know and feel everything happens for a reason.. I just sometimes don't see that reason.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Good thread.

I'm confused about religion. I feel like I need one, perhaps just because I was raised in an environment that pushed Southern Baptist views on me, but I can't find one that feels "right". I am too science minded to feel comfortable with many of the claims made by religion, so maybe it's best if I leave it alone. But still, it feels like something is missing.

I like October. The temperature, the smell of pumpkin muffins and faded leaves, wearing scarves. I also wish Halloween was a week long celebration instead of just one night. I love Halloween.

I am torn on issues like gun control and the death penalty and that bothers me. I wish I could pick a side and stay put, but I waiver.

I also agree that Pepsi is better, though now I have cut all sodas from my diet, so I enjoy green tea.

I wish I had a better memory. I take pictures often. Some people may think it's intrusive or silly when I want to snap a picture at a seemingly unimportant moment, but the truth is, if I don't, I likely won't remember we were there together.

I like yoga, but I probably need to focus more on cardio.

I know that many people don't agree with taking anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medication, but since I started taking mine I feel normal again. I don't feel that sickening sadness and emptiness that used to be there. I can function. I wouldn't get rid of them for any amount of money.

Now that I mentioned pumpkin muffins...I really, really want one.

I'm really, really excited that Cosmos is coming back.

Sometimes I think about the 52 hertz whale with the call at a different frequency than other whales and I feel so sad for it. Everyone should have someone.

I just discovered how big an eagle's talon is..and it's terrifying.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I like the smell of BBQ cooking outside on an early summer evening, and the distant few barks of a large dog from down the street that echoes in the otherwise silence. While backpacking up in the mountains, The sounds of squabbling Blue Jays and the strong smell of pine in the morning when I unzip my tent touches my soul.

I can feel that my bladder has been full for the last hour and a half while tossing and turning in bed, why didn't I just get up and pee back when first felt it? Sounds like the garbage trucks are here, did I put the cans out last night? Ok, who deleted the last most recent episode of Walking Dead off the DVR? I don't care if we already watched it, cause I will fall asleep to it 5 more times until next weeks episode!

Dogs licking me are not my thing. After all, they do lick their behinds. Why do I have to save that bee that is drowning in my pool? I guess maybe I would hope that he would do the same for me if our roles were reversed. A cold glass of ice tea w/lemon prior to bed will only make it more difficult to sleep, yet I still do it all the time.

I really like A-1 sauce on my fried or poached eggs, but maybe that is just me. I really, really hate using a straw when I drink something. I prefer to feel the beverage enter my mouth, mixing with the oxygen, and feeling it swish around as it quenches my thirst. I just can't seem to taste anything as well with a straw. Again, Maybe that is just me though.

I really ought to give up midnight snacks, but I don't really see that happening anytime soon. Well, That is about it for now. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I love the thread. I would like to comment on a couple thoughts.

All houses you lived in have been haunted. Well of course all houses have been occupied by people. As an amature ghost hunter I have to say that every house I have hunted has in fact produced some very good evidence. I am convinced all houses have some level of activity.

Coke or Pepsi: I can taste the difference and for my nickel COKE is better.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WesternIowaParanormal

Well Pepsi I believe has 3 more grams of sugar than Coke does. I am a coke guy myself too. Course, RC cola through the fountain dominates them all.
~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm a coke guy, when I partake. Personally I like Seagram's Ginger Ale but that is probably because I like it with Seagram's 7!

I love the smell of mesquite smoked brisket on a warm summer evening. I take a lot of pictures. I try to find beauty in everything. Even rust looks awesome when shot in a closeup.

God and the bible...a way for a primitive, goat herding society to explain their existence. No different than any other civilizations stories. We are born, we live, we die. We created god in our image, god did not create us. We reason therefore we are insecure. Being insecure makes us long for something more. We search for a purpose. Our purpose is to reproduce and perpetuate the species, same as any other.

We are blatantly arrogant to think there could not possibly be life outside of our planet. As the movie Jurassic Park says, "life will find a way". All the ingredients that created us came from the universe. It stands to reason that another planet can create life using these same ingredients.

I'm glad I don't have breasts. I would be playing with them constantly!

I study the faces of those we and society find beautiful. I try to find what it is about their features that makes them so appealing to us.

I admire those who challenge the norm, who challenge authority and make them responsible for their actions.

I believe in long, deep kisses and extended foreplay. After all, the act doesn't last as long as one would wish, so the prequel may as well be a show stopper!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

WesternIowaParanormal
All houses you lived in have been haunted. Well of course all houses have been occupied by people. As an amature ghost hunter I have to say that every house I have hunted has in fact produced some very good evidence. I am convinced all houses have some level of activity.

First house I lived in .... 200 year old house in Connecticut that has been in the family almost the entire time. Lots of spooks. I assume they were all relatives. My mother still lives in the house. We'd hear the footsteps and the creaking and the rapping .. and we'd see spooks RUN through the rooms. They were human size dark smudges and blurs.

Second house I lived in .... I'm gussing 25 years old or so (at the time) in Agawam, Massachusetts. Some man with heavy feet would stop through. And you'd get the feeling of not being alone. And a cool temp drop ...

Third house I lived in .... Alabama. We built the house. No one had lived in it before us. It was built by a creek on an old cotton field. Black golf ball size spooks would zip through the house and when they ran into things they'd make a snapping and popping sound. And they'd play with the dresser drawers.

Fourth House I lived in ... also Alabama. Only there a year. Doors would open and close. The house would 'wake up' at the same time every morning. You could hear lots of activity like someone was getting ready to go to work. Then the house settled down until dinner time when the spook would come home from work ..

Fifth house ... I live in it now ... VERY active. Lots of footsteps. Lots of things moving. The spook will play with the dogs toys at night (while the dog was asleep in my bed). The spook played with my daughters toys at night while she was asleep. We'd hear the viewmaster clicking off. It plays with things on my dresser at night, you can hear it moving things. The kitchen cabinets and drawers will open and close during the day, etc etc ....

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WesternIowaParanormal

The funny thing is if you look at the contents printed on the label of both Coke and Pepsi, they have the same amount of sugar. This is one of the longer debates ongoing in truckstops over the decades.

Now it's Canada Dry Ginger Ale for me less sugar and surprisingly refreshing. Coke is far and away the best when mixed with booze...

Anyone see the 2015 'vette prototype? Wow! A minimum of 625 HP, a minimum of 635 FPs of torque, either a 7 speed manual or and EIGHT speed automatic. It outperforms the ZR-1 "vettes and will cost around 50-60K. (The ZR-1s were in the 100-120K range)....I wish I was younger and had a bit more cash...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

FlyersFan

- Every house I've ever lived in has been haunted. Every last one.

Has it ever occurred to you,that it might be you who is 'haunted' ?

Spirits or guides follow us throughout our whole life - speaking from experience-

Sometimes even when I'm alone, I can feel my late grandfather's presence,he check's in on me from time to time, which is very comforting. He'd make tiny white feathers appear out of thin air, or sometimes visits me in my dreams, and we discuss how things are going ....

Oh, and Snow&Cats Rock!!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I also agree about the part about bacon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join