It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality? - Revolutionary membrane can keep your heart beating perfectly forever

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

This, when perfected will absolutely save a great many lives.

Looks wonderful, and for anyone with heart problems or at risk of developing them, this will be such a relief to them.

But like anything beneficial, there's always a downside.

The downside of this great little device, is...as it can electrically stimulate the heart to normal sinus rhythm, it can also do the opposite. It can save you from the effects of a heart attack..but could also induce a heart attack...remotely.

The perfect heart related lifesaver, could also be exploited as the perfect weapon.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

MysterX

This, when perfected will absolutely save a great many lives.

Looks wonderful, and for anyone with heart problems or at risk of developing them, this will be such a relief to them.

But like anything beneficial, there's always a downside.

The downside of this great little device, is...as it can electrically stimulate the heart to normal sinus rhythm, it can also do the opposite. It can save you from the effects of a heart attack..but could also induce a heart attack...remotely.

The perfect heart related lifesaver, could also be exploited as the perfect weapon.

Consider the benefits of a Pencil...

1. You can Write with it
2. You can Draw art with it.
3. You can Rub it out if you make a mistake
4. You can Push it in someones eye hard enough to kill them.

Let's Ban pencils because they could be used to Kill.....

Korg.

edit on 5-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Someday, a syringe filled with biologically manufactured liquid "nanobots" will be injected into your arm... and the little suckers will swim around your body at breakneck speeds repairing everything at a cellular level.

Right now, they're still thinking in "mechanical" repair terms (like this heart cover thingy).

But eventually, they'll come to realize that it needs to be biology that fixes a biological lifeform.

Unfortunately, none of us will live long enough to reap the benefits of such advancements... but maybe our kids' kids will.

... I think I watch too many sci-fi movies.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

CranialSponge

Right now, they're still thinking in "mechanical" repair terms (like this heart cover thingy).

But eventually, they'll come to realize that it needs to be biology that fixes a biological lifeform.

I think you'll find there's lots of research going on right now. It's not that they're "still thinking mechanical", to quote Dr. Ben Goldacre "I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that".

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

There is only one way to immortality and it has nothing to do with science!
We can't ever wrap anything around it to preserve it! We can only believe
in the light of our salvation and repent for our sins! I realize many will not
choose to believe in the possibility but truth exist beyond our choices!
Interesting article but it's nothing but a way to preserve the body which
has nothing to do with immortality! Even if it was possible to preserve
our bodies and minds there is no way to prevent our souls departure from
the other two! The soul carries our humanity and without it we are mere
machine!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

Saved from what and for what ?

You do not seem to see or realize that this earth is the LAST experiment on which God can be recreated in a different form.

The age-old quest to be both FULLY FUNCTIONAL energy form and PHYSICAL form is being run faster and faster !

More advanced beings that you can believe are desperately trying to achieve this, while they can see how your SOUL is, and can be created by science!

In fact, the reason this place is so bizarre is because of the constant experimentation that has gone on for billions of years !

And they can see that the original creator force, of all things so scattered itself into its creation that it is almost gone forever, exactly the reality it craved so badly !

Get ready for something entirely new , we LIVE FOR IT!!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If science is going to take death out of the equation for us old folks, what the he11 do we have to look forward to?

I rather look forward to a new and exciting journey on 'the other side' when my work here is done.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

omfg poor rabbit...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Having read the article and given this some thought, the following can be stated:

While this can be used for great good, it can also be used for the exact opposite. The idea of a pace maker like this, where it keeps the heart beating in perfect time for the patient is a godsend to the people who require a pacemaker to keep their heart beating.

And think about it, it would be less invasive, the net would be put into the body, and against the organ, to keep it running. However, there is a point to mortality, as some have stated. While living forever, like immortal, seems like a dream, but is it? The heart is one of many organs in the body, that are required, so we can keep the heart beating, but what do you do with a person who has deminsia? Or if they end up with kidney failure, or cancer, or any number of diseases that seem to hit a person at older age? But don't worry, the heart still beats.

There are many problems and that is just the tip of the iceberg. If anything I can see this being a good thing for say a child or a young adult, who could be saved by this device, but for the older, not so much. Every person has their time and death is a part of life. I think of my own father, he died of a heart attack. While some would say that this would have saved his life, what kind of life would it be, as he was also dying of emphysema as well. And that is no way to live, to just exist.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Immortality.
Just because something someday can be done, doesn't mean it should.
Our planet is full enough already. And, if the doom and gloomers are correct about rising seas, we will probably run out of room before we can get TF off it.
Personally, I don't want to have to swim for the rest of eternity.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

reject

omfg poor rabbit...

Don't worry though.. they didn't waste it... It went into a stew!

Naaaa whatz up doc?

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Not so long ago people fantasized about finding the “Fountain of Youth”. Books were written about it, movies were made about it, etc. Just think what it would be like to stay young, strong and in your prime virtually forever. All the things you could experience and accomplish, if only you had the time. But, it was only a dream; a safe one and fun to think about, but not one that anyone believed would actually ever happen.

Well, here we are in 2014, and guess what? Presto! It’s about to happen!! This may be old news for many folks, but not for others. In any case, I doubt most of us realize just how close to becoming a reality it is. We are now definitely knocking on the door, and extended logevity (1,000+ years for the “Chosen Ones”) has become inevitable. And when the big announcement is finally made, I have a feeling it will be a reality altering, paradigm changing event. Humanity will never again be the same, and our evolution will then be solely in our own hands. It could potentially create a firestorm, though, as it would be a true gamechanger. Everything we have come to know socially, politically, philosophically, religiously, etc. would completely change. We will be forced to reassess our whole belief system and notions about what it is to be Human. I can imagine the governments of the world may even try to suppress public awareness of the breakthrough for a time in order to avoid discord among the masses.

Aubrey de Grey, the Chief Science Officer of the SENS Research Foundation and renowned authority on the aging process, has been out front in the scientific endeavour to achieve human longevity for quite some time now. Something he once said has stuck with me for years. He said that, “the first human beings who will live to 1,000 years old have already been born.”. It seemed to bring things into perspective for me. You can read the Wiki about him at Aubrey de Grey, or just Bing/Google him.

I’m not sure I want to live “forever”, but a couple thousand years might not be bad
Especially if I could retain my youth (physically and mentally) the entire time. Hmmm...

The whole issue of longevity/immortality, though, is just one of a number of life/reality/paradigm changing technological revolutions about to break. IMHO Humanity is quickly approaching a crossroads. I just hope we have the wisdom to make the right choices and take the high road. Things could get interesting...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Its just a dead rabbits heart in a solution beating for a while due to electrical stimulus on the membrane.
Its sick,the dead heart will stop beating soon, it will not beat forever.
Its a type of insane human intelligence at work.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I would like to know where all these immortals will be housed, fed and sustained?
We can't get clean water nor food for one third of our population now so how do
you people purpose we make room for those being born on top of those not dying?
The world is crowded enough now with massive pollutants, run away greenhouse
gases, greed and crime! If we can't manage the already seven billion people that
are here now, then how will we manage double or triple that amount? Immortality
sounds good in theory but in practice it will cause total chaos or a dystopian night-
mare, possibly something like that movie "In Time" where the people age till they
are 25 and then are given a year of time! Time is used to pay your rent and buy
your groceries but when you run out you die! All employment is paid in time!
I know the premise is a bit ridiculous but there would need to be some kind of
mechanism in place IRL to prevent overpopulation situations should the reality
of immortality ever present itself to the general population! Not that I could ever
believe that it would. Even if this were to be made possible the general population
would never become aware of this invention and only the super rich and powerful
would be able to make use of such technology! Death is a necessary aspect of
life and not just for the reasons listed above but for far more nefarious reasons
which I don't want to go into at this time! I believe our mortality is what brings
us the zeal for life. Without this we would become mere machines without much of the
qualities that make us human! it's our mortality — and not necessarily the dearth of
novelty — that contributes to a life worth living. Our lives would become boring and
mundane without the possibility of our end! We might even become morbid and evil
looking to inflict pain or death on others because it excites something in us which used
to be satisfied by thrill seeking! So to those of you not convinced be careful what you
wish for in life cause sometimes our anticipation is more rewarding then the prize we
seek! God Bless and may your life be prosperous, diverse and on the edge of calamity~

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Religion is not for those who are afraid of death. On the contrary, religion actually humbles you and prepares you for the inevitable.

A trans humanism believer has more beef with death than a religious fellow.

Balance is the key to life. Trans humanism ignores this balance and wants to artificially tip it and keep it there. I am sure it is possible, but is it good though? I have my doubts and reservations.

I will keep my faith in God and when I die my soul will live on. Sounds a lot simpler and elegant in my perspective.

Defiant humans (those who don't want to die) will keep scavenging earth or the cosmos (if we ever get somewhere of value) for resources. Perhaps, they will suck one planet after another dry, becoming an abomination or perhaps nourish them? The prevalent trend so far is sucking it dry. My path leads to mystery and perhaps a greater reward. Perhaps. I will take my chances as it seems you will.

We both have faith. In different things.

Except, I don't fear death... As light becomes darkness, life becomes death. Good luck!
edit on 6-3-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Very interesting, but I'd like to keep my mortality, thanks. I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck on this planet indefinitely. I'm more than happy to shed off my mortal coil and evaporate into the ether of the eternal energy of cosmic consciousness when the time comes. Jesus, imagine being alive forever. That sounds like a nightmare to me! But maybe I'm just not interested enough in materialism and longevity to care about eternal life. Each to their own, I suppose.

Plus, let's not forget who will really be living forever in the best conditions and positions of infinite influential power. The psychopathic elite. The scum of humanity. Another reason I'm more than happy to die a natural death when my time comes! Good riddance to those swine. That really does sound like hell on earth to me. Imagine keeping prisoners alive forever to torture them? Dissidents? Revolutionaries? Spiritual masters & cultural rebels? I get goosebumps just thinking of the horrors this technology could introduce.

You can keep your creepy undead rabbit heart, science! I want nothing to do with this crap. Good luck to those who do.

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
To be fair...
This will hopefully be perfect for children born with all the different types of heart problems!

To people more fortunate it's not exactly that important, unless it's your family who suffer from such problems, in which case it is another blessing!

People want to live forever?
Scared of Death? The Goddess will make you twice as afraid of Life!!!

So when you reach seventy, eighty, ninety...
And your Eye sight worsens...
Your Hearing becomes more & more impaired...
Bladder & Intestinal control wains...
Bones become more fragile and less manoeuvrable...
Your Brain deteriorates and becomes more at risk of Dementia, Alzheimer's etc...
But your Heart still has a good 50 years of life left in it???

Whatever floats your Boat!

Great news for children with Heart problems though!!!
Hopefully they will live a long life just like we "normal people" do now instead of suffering Cardiac Arrest in their late teens or early twenties!!!

It's for them!!!!!

Not you jerk offs that want to survive for a couple of centuries sh**ing yourselves for a good 100 years while nurses wipe your self-centred, senile Ar**s!!!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What of the mind/brain though.

You could have the heart beating till the end of time, but the brain. Could have a whole bunch of factors?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

You make some good points that I touched on before I happened to read this.
Good to see like minded people thinking of those a little more infirm rather than themselves! :

However I can't help but wonder why would somebody design something to fix someone's heart, only to want to cause problems for their heart?
Surely, on the behalf of the hypothetical malevolent, that would be a waste of resources & money!

Peace!
edit on 7-3-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

This is what Scientists should be working on... things like this that help mankind, not things which can destroy us.

I'm no Scientist but I applaud them on this and many other things.

This will help many millions of people who suffer from dodgy hearts and potential cardiac arrests!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join