It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality? - Revolutionary membrane can keep your heart beating perfectly forever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I have had the feeling for a long time that 3d printing will be the absolute future.
If you want to make money invest in it.
Hell HP is getting into the public 3d printing market this year even..
As soon as a reliable, quality, and affordable printer is mass produced for the home it's OVER.
The jobs this industry will take from humans will be insane - so you better get in on it now IMO lol.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

Edit for optimism: Of course it will also give the potential for all kinds of new home business industry as well so it might not be too bad (still - I think human to human mainstream industry will feel the pain and pressure).
edit on 4-3-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Floydshayvious

You're so close to the inevitable truth. It's because you've been taught one way and one quality of "worth" you entire life that you can't make it there without a push from someone else. Don't worry, most if not all of us are just like you. I even feel guilty typing this but...

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."
Psalm 23:2

And though I may not be of the Christian faith, even I must bow to the wisdom of the Ancients. They knew what we will soon discover. "What do you do?" is an inappropriate and worthless set of four words. It holds no meaning or grace, and will only mark a specific point in human history with an embarrassing, yet humorous, blemish.

Maybe, just maybe you'll see what I mean in your lifetime. I don't know how old you are. You're right about one thing, jobs will become scarce and let me tell you...that isn't going to be a trend that ever ends. You know what I'm saying, I simply refuse to say it directly because some of us are continue to be steeped in an ideology that focuses on the sweat of one's brow = worth and character as a human being.

One day, and one day very soon we'll be forced to change our minds about these things. That day is coming, and on it, the world will change. We'll look back and giggle when we realize that for the majority of the human existence that jobs were not a normal thing. They were necessary for one, small period of time. After that, they just...lost meaning and purpose. One day, you'll all see.

BUT TO AVOID T&C offtopicness

This is an amazing discovery that will, undoubtedly, revolutionize the field of cardiology. The implications are mind blowing and translates to other parts of the body as well. To the nay sayers, keep saying nay. Your organs can already be shut down remotely through certain frequencies and vibrations directed at your bodies. Don't pretend that the natural is greater than the mysterious "synthetic". This is our destiny. This is step one in a long term evolutionary plan that transcends myself or any of you. This is the transitioning into the cocoon phase of our existence. We are just now laying down the silk. One day, in thousands of years, we will fly. But today, today we begin to lay down the foundations for our metamorphosis. First comes the physical changes, then the mental, and then the spiritual. Your grand-children's grand-children will be blessed beyond your wildest imaginations. Found solace and comfort in that as the world around you becomes "too frightening" because of the rapid pace of change. Find solace in the future.

Idealism is sometimes our greatest tool. It isn't always a handicap. Remember that.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I'm starring you for typing all that and still relating to the OP topic lol.

And for the record I'm an unemployed 31 year old with art degree debt that won't have kids to see a Utopia.

I'd like it to be something like Huxley's "Island" though.

On topic myself I love the potential of 3D printing - I can't wait to see a nice resolution home printer that isn't MakerBot (they were aquired by a medical something or other company or something). When I was more enthusiastic about art I sculpted a lot - coupled with a digital sculpting program like Pixologic's ZBrush a nice 3D printer is something I would probably kill for (seriously).

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I heard in a movie once, something that stuck with me through my life, not just because it is catchy as heck as a phrase, but because it is true...

"You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."

Death - Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

Without the finite element of life, no one would strive to get anything done. Procrastination would be the international pastime. Also, struggling against the FEELING of futility (I stress, futility is a feeling, not a truth), defines mankind as a species. We would become something utterly different if we never died, and there is no reason to assume that the thing we would become, would be any better than what we are, and has the potential to be a hell of a lot worse.

Immortality is futile. Life is meaningless without its end.

No offense, but that is complete and utter tripe.

This is the kind of deathist crap that's being force-fed to us from infancy, regurgitated in every single movie, television series or book that ever tackled the issue of immortality. Every. Goddamn. Single. One. No exception. I have never seen another point of view represented or even suggested, anywhere. This is social conditioning taken to absurd levels. No thanks, I like thinking for myself.

Without the finite element of life, we would strive to get everything done. At least, that's what I would do. There would be no arbitrary limit to the things you could see, the things you could do, the things you could achieve, heck you could visit the entire world if you wanted to.

Yes, procrastination would be the international pastime...precisely because there would be plenty of time for everything. No stress. Everything gets done in due time. Sounds like paradise to me. Yes, I would procrastinate like hell. Society is way too stressful right now anyway, it's driving people crazy, and if it keeps speeding up, I don't think we can hold much longer. I want my peace of mind back.

Yes, immortality is meaningless. Life is meaningless, with or without an end. The universe is meaningless. There is no meaning. Meaning is a human idea. It's an abstract concept, a construct, which holds no basis in reality. Existence simply is, for better or worse. Trying to find "meaning" in this is like trying to fit the entire world into a fiction scenario. I don't need meaning. I don't mind futility, never did. I'd rather spend my days having fun (call it "futile good times", I don't care, it's still good times regardless) rather than strive for some phantom ideal that will lead me nowhere.

Yes, eternal life will change the nature of mankind, that's for sure. It has both good and bad potential, depending on how we use it. One short-term good effect is that it will stop anyone from considering forced euthanasia on elderly people for economic reasons, as will probably happen if we don't reach immortality fast enough. But that's another topic.

If technology permits, I will gladly live forever. It's my life, I do what I want with it.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Very nice find. I want one and I don't even have heart problems.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Spruce

You just get to see so little in 80 - 110 years....I mean we've had MASSIVE developments....but it's still a tiny scratch on the surface that is this Universe and Technology...

I want to see it all too....I would like to trust that after I die I get to do it all over again BUT if that is the case there's the fact that I can't remember my previous life VIVIDLY which then means I have nothing to compare what I've experienced now to what I will experience then....and therefore it'll be just more of the same..

It's not a God Complex....it's a desire to see and experience it all in one lifetime. Yes it is unnatural....but doesn't mean we can't want it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Except now that devil, Dick Cheney will live longer. Do they make directional EMP devices?

Good news, actually they do!
EMP/HERF/Shock Pulse Generators - Removes Persistent Devils Now!

OP - I think this is a great thing and maybe even the poor people will see a benefit to life with this technology. As far as other more extensive (expensive) life extension technologies I think we're already seeing them being available to the rich mainly.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Horrible idea. Who would want to stick around this crap-hole longer than they have to?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Korg Trinity

Spruce
Why does everyone want to live forever? Don't you people ever get tired?

I don't want to live forever. It's not natural or normal.

I don't understand people that don't want to live forever... just like I don't understand people that say they are bored!

Fine wither and die... I couldn't give a monkeys.... I Intend to live and love living for hundreds of years if technology will allow.

Peace,

Korg.

Can't say as I understand that either. Maybe when I was younger, I might have wanted immortality.
I don' t want to die, but rather that than live forever.
You can have your high tech, non human world.

This is only good for people with heart problems, which usually isn't determined until you have a problem.
Or I suppose you could pay for it to be wrapped around your heart just in case.

So your heart still beats but your brain is gone?

edit on 5-3-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Spruce

God complex much?

Not God complex... Human complex!

Religion is for people with a fear of death.... I wonder how many people will turn away from their bibles when they realize eternal life can be had right here on earth!

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by freakjive

Once they find out people can live for 200 years with technology like this, salary will be cut in half and you will have to work until you are 170 to retire!! NO EFFING THANK YOU!! LOL....

It won't work like this at all... What you will find is things initially will move on pretty much as they are.... until technology is sufficient to move us to a resource based economy.

At that point our civilization is only but a stone throw away from utopia and the stars.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

TrueBrit

I heard in a movie once, something that stuck with me through my life, not just because it is catchy as heck as a phrase, but because it is true...

"You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."

Death - Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

Immortality is futile. Life is meaningless without its end.

I couldn't disagree more...

Look around you... other than religion itself... can you honestly say that people do things because they know they will die?

That's not the reason people feel a sense of achievement.... trust me I have seen it... death brings nothing but loss... we do not gain a thing from it except available geometric space.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

doorhandle

Korg Trinity

Spruce

I don't understand people that don't want to live forever... just like I don't understand people that say they are bored!

Fine wither and die... I couldn't give a monkeys.... I Intend to live and love living for hundreds of years if technology will allow.

Peace,

Korg.

Lol me too, given the choice I really don't wanna die and would die to be immortal.

It is people like us that the future is meant for... the Meek shall not inherit the earth... Trans-humanists will!!

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Malynn
Horrible idea. Who would want to stick around this crap-hole longer than they have to?

If you are in a crap hole with the inability to climb out in 80 years.... what more reason could you have to live longer?

If I was in a bad situation.. I would want the opportunity to better my situation... with expanded lifetimes we could all better ourselves regardless of our situations.

Roll with the punches.... don't sob when you get hit!

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

violet

Korg Trinity

Spruce

Peace,

Korg.

Can't say as I understand that either. Maybe when I was younger, I might have wanted immortality.

This is only good for people with heart problems, which usually isn't determined until you have a problem.

This is just one piece of the puzzle.

and a big one...

Cardiovascular diseases is the Number one killer of humans!

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Korg Trinity

violet

Korg Trinity

Spruce

Peace,

Korg.

and a big one...

Peace,

Korg.

Yes it is, I know that. My point is what's the point of a good working heart if other organs and functions have failed?

Would you like to have diabetes or severe MS, Alzheimers or any other crippling illness that you would suffer from while this perfect heart ticks away?

You could be injured in an accident and not in good shape.

If you want to sit in your wheelchair with a urine bag strapped to your leg, being spoon fed, then I suppose that's your choice.

The human body isn't designed to last that long.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

violet

Korg Trinity

violet

Korg Trinity

Spruce

Peace,

Korg.

and a big one...

Peace,

Korg.

Yes it is, I know that. My point is what's the point of a good working heart if other organs and functions have failed?

Would you like to have diabetes or severe MS, Alzheimers or any other crippling illness that you would suffer from while this perfect heart ticks away?

You could be injured in an accident and not in good shape.

If you want to sit in your wheelchair with a urine bag strapped to your leg, being spoon fed, then I suppose that's your choice.

The human body isn't designed to last that long.

As I said this is just one piece of the puzzle.

The road to immortality and trans-humanism isn't one we can take overnight as some are predicting..in the immediate future there is not going to be a single magic bullet.

I predict that immortality will be based upon modular biotech upgrades that deal with the various issues the human body has.

In the mid future however, the multiple issues that we have with our bodies will be treated automatically internally by employing nanobots.

Do you follow?

Korg.

edit on 5-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Yes I get what you're saying. Eventually much more can be done. Medical Breakthroughs happen all the time.
People will be living longer.

I still don't want to live forever though!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

violet

Yes I get what you're saying. Eventually much more can be done. Medical Breakthroughs happen all the time.
People will be living longer.

I still don't want to live forever though!

Well that's your choice to make.

I just don't want anyone getting in my way when it comes to the point where I can tick a box and say yes to immortality.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Great for the heart but to truly prolong life you have to slow cell metabolisms down so they clone less often. Cells weaken with each replication and eventually stop producing new. When you limit them out the next time they need to regenerate they die instead. People who exercise to much actually are killing themselves and expediting their aging process because they are putting their cells in fast forward by making them super healthy and using them up faster. It's why nearly starving yourself makes you live longer, the cells simply slow down and last longer and age slower.

Eventually the heart tissues will fail though so this wont make hearts last forever but certainly seems like a great way to extend life some years if the heart is the only thing going bad.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join