It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality? - Revolutionary membrane can keep your heart beating perfectly forever

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

You're looking at a rabbit's heart beating outside the animal that once hosted it. It's alive, pumping blood on its own thanks to a revolutionary electronic membrane that may save your life by keeping your heart beating at a perfect rate.

The thin, circuit-lined stretchable membrane has been developed by scientists at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Washington University in St. Louis and may arrive to human hearts in 10 to 15 years.

They custom made it to precisely fit the shape of the rabbit's heart: First, while the rabbit was still alive, they scanned it and created a 3D model using computer aided tomography. They manufactured the model in a 3D printer, which they used as a mold to create the membrane. After that they took the heart out, applied the membrane, and kept it beating at a perfect pace.

This is not your average pacemaker!

But this artificial pericardium is instrumented with high quality, man-made devices that can sense and interact with the heart in different ways that are relevant to clinical cardiology.

When it senses such a catastrophic event as a heart attack or arrhythmia, it can also apply a high definition therapy. So it can apply stimuli, electrical stimuli, from different locations on the device in an optimal fashion to stop this arrhythmia and prevent sudden cardiac death.

Source

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

"And death shall flee from them"... (Apocalypse)

Still, nice find! They should find a way to keep te brain from degrading too, though.

S&F from me, mate! This is fascinating.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Elysium...wheres the space station?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

While every thing else decays and you crap yourself
daily? The elites can have at it. But their worst fears
will be realised because, " You can run but you can't hide ".

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

randyvs

While every thing else decays and you crap yourself
daily? The elites can have at it. But their worst fears
will be realised because, " You can run but you can't hide ".

Yeah, the "immortality" was more of a joke. For exactly what you state.

However, the idea of a much more effective pacemaker is what makes this so great!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I spotted this earlier today. it's fantastic news...

There will always be the doom and gloomers... people saying stuff like the above or that be careful it could be hacked by an android device kind of rubbish.

But the truth is The governments of the world NEED us to live longer... they need us to be paying our taxes and do away with welfare in old age.

This is the single reason why our longevity is indeed going to be extended by a significant value.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 4-3-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Why does everyone want to live forever? Don't you people ever get tired?

I don't want to live forever. It's not natural or normal.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Spruce

I don't understand people that don't want to live forever... just like I don't understand people that say they are bored!

Fine wither and die... I couldn't give a monkeys.... I Intend to live and love living for hundreds of years if technology will allow.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

God complex much?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Spruce

God complex much?

Why are you alive now?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Once they find out people can live for 200 years with technology like this, salary will be cut in half and you will have to work until you are 170 to retire!! NO EFFING THANK YOU!! LOL....

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I heard in a movie once, something that stuck with me through my life, not just because it is catchy as heck as a phrase, but because it is true...

"You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."

Death - Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

Without the finite element of life, no one would strive to get anything done. Procrastination would be the international pastime. Also, struggling against the FEELING of futility (I stress, futility is a feeling, not a truth), defines mankind as a species. We would become something utterly different if we never died, and there is no reason to assume that the thing we would become, would be any better than what we are, and has the potential to be a hell of a lot worse.

Immortality is futile. Life is meaningless without its end.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Any animal that uses this membrane thingy is vulnerable to remote termination.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Very wise. Star.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I figured that went without saying, but maybe its not as obvious as it seems.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm sure this would make a good pace maker in the future, though it stands no chance to stab/puncture related injuries.

I'm certain that further along in medical technology, we'll have the capability to infuse nano circuitry into our cells that will be able to do many tasks. Maintain, repair/heal, cleanse... you get the gist of it.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Except now that devil, Dick Cheney will live longer. Do they make directional EMP devices?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

Except now that devil, Dick Cheney will live longer. Do they make directional EMP devices?

Thanks for the guffaw. Star.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Korg Trinity

Spruce

I don't understand people that don't want to live forever... just like I don't understand people that say they are bored!

Fine wither and die... I couldn't give a monkeys.... I Intend to live and love living for hundreds of years if technology will allow.

Peace,

Korg.

Lol me too, given the choice I really don't wanna die and would die to be immortal.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

doorhandle

Lol me too, given the choice I really don't wanna die and would die to be immortal.

This makes my head hurt a lil.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join