It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Pulls Back Troops, Says No Need for Military Action in Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Putin Pulls Back Troops, Says No Need for Military Action in Ukraine

In a small press conference on Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed there were no Russian troops in Ukraine. However, he maintained that he reserves the right to use military action if needed, and he will do so according to international law.

As far as reports of Russian troops on the ground in the Crimea region, which several journalists have confirmed, Putin denied they were part of his regime, citing the fact that their uniforms were unmarked. According to the Washington Post

“Look at former Soviet republics,” he said, according to the Washington Post's translation. “You can go to a store and buy a uniform. Were these Russian soldiers? No, they’re very well-trained self-defense forces.”

The Russian president claimed that he is not trying to make Crimea a part of Russia, saying that only people who live in Crimea can determine their future.

Putin did, however, say Ukraine's interim president, who replaced the ousted Viktor Yanukovych after he fled the country, unlawfully came into power. In his own news conference last week, Yanukovych expressed a similar sentiment, saying, "I am president of Ukraine, elected by the people of Ukraine [...] and I remain the legitimate president of Ukraine."

Earlier today, Putin pulled back thousands of troops that have been amassing along the Russia-Ukraine border over the past few days, Russian news agency Interfax reported, citing the Kremlin’s press secretary.

edit on 4-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Is this just one long bad dream?

So now that this whole mess has blown up in his face, he is trying to walk it back.

Good luck with that...

If there are no Russian troops in Crimea, then why are military units in Crimea stating they have to get directions from Moscow?
edit on 4-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
He is now claiming that there are no Russian troops in the Ukraine? Really?
I saw pictures of them yesterday. Hundreds of them.
None had the Russian flag on their uniforms ... but they were Russian.
So I'm not believing him. He did a great job with Syria, but on this he's still KGB ... untrustworthy.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Wth? I watched the Q&A of Putin on RT, He never said he was pulling back his troops, he said the troops who where on the surprise exercise are coming back.

I read tweets of people saying the translation from CNN was misinterpreting the real deal. Guess its true.

So for all members reading, he was talking about the troops on military exercise.
edit on thAmerica/Chicago304uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
So it's over now? wtf? I really thought this was going to blow up into at the very least a regional conflict.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
May I ask the OP how many Ukranian threads he is going to start with slightly different 'angles' that could have all been said just in one thread?

Thank you
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

MessageforAll
Wth? I watched the Q&A of Putin on RT, He never said he was pulling back his troops, he said the troops who where on the surprise exercise are coming back.

I read tweets of people saying the translation from CNN was misinterpreting the real deal. Guess its true.

So for all members reading, he was talking about the troops on military exercise.
edit on thAmerica/Chicago304uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

Might want to read it again. This comment is in reference to Russian military forces inside Crimea, which has been confirmed. Putin is stating there are no Russian military forces in Crimea. He has stated the units without insignias are "Ukrainian militia".

I was not aware the "self defense militia" had access to Russian Helicopters, Russian Black Sea military vehicles or Russian Black Sea Naval vessels.

Putin estimated the total number of "self defense forces" in Crimea at 6k.. The number of Russian forces deployed.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

angelchemuel
May I ask the OP how many Ukranian threads he is going to start with slightly different 'angles' that could have all been said just in one thread?

Thank you
Rainbows
Jane

There are a lot of angles to this incident. I got a bit tired of trying to sort through pages of multiple topics. I made an attempt to create a resource thread and that got shot down. Since my topics are on different areas of the Ukraine mess, I thought I would just break them down and post. That way if one thread gets locked down, it only affects that one topic.

May I ask what issue you have with me doing this?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I don't need to re-read the article, if your thread is called " Putin Pulls Back Troops, Says No Need for Military Action in Ukraine" than that is misleading to say the least.

I don't get what the title has to do with Putin saying there are no troops in Crimea, honestly.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If this true..so they already get something they want..

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

MessageforAll

I don't need to re-read the article, if your thread is called " Putin Pulls Back Troops, Says No Need for Military Action in Ukraine" than that is misleading to say the least.

I don't get what the title has to do with Putin saying there are no troops in Crimea, honestly.

Then take that issue up with the media source. T and C requires we use the title given to the article cited, which is what I did.

Secondly, if you read the article you would answer your own question on Putin's comments.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

MessageforAll

You believe him?

That is

This was all just a surprise exercise?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Not picking a fight with you, but it is what it is, even if its a violation of the T&C this title is just sensationalism at best. Not your fault as you are following T&C. It just p*** me off lol.

Again no beef with you

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
From the ops link

if you would have read the entire article you linked it states .......

"To be clear," Kyiv Post editor and Mashable correspondent Christopher Miller tweeted moments after the announcement hit, "Putin pulling troops conducting exercises in western Russia, but none of the 1000s of Russian troops who are already in #Crimea."

Riouz

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't believe either sides, I try to stay as neutral as I can, until the right propaganda gets to me.

That said, misleading title/information is what it is.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

MessageforAll

Not picking a fight with you, but it is what it is, even if its a violation of the T&C this title is just sensationalism at best. Not your fault as you are following T&C. It just p*** me off lol.

Again no beef with you

Fair enough and no worries. I have had the same issues as well on other topics.

Its a tense topic so its understandable.

I wonder if there is way to create special sub forums for incidents like this, yet be a bit more structured than normal topic posting. A thread for resources / links followed up with debate / discussion threads on the different aspects topics. I know it might be a pain in the butt however It might help cut down on the number of new topics / threads. My irritation comes into play when multiple topics are in one thread that then get buried when the debates on other areas kick in.

Just a personal opinion / observations.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

FlyersFan

None had the Russian flag on their uniforms ... but they were Russian.

And you know this how by the way?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Cylent773
So it's over now? wtf? I really thought this was going to blow up into at the very least a regional conflict.

You sound disppointed that it didn't turn into something bigger where thousands die, including civilians and maybe turning nuclear. Be careful what you wish for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join