It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is bigotry genetic?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

peter vlar

It's not nearly as disgusting as ignorance. Mostly because being ignorant IS a choice. And an ugly one at that because it is a clear choice to remain ignorant where who you love isn't really a choice at all.

What specifically was ignorant about what he said?

Or do you just designate everyone ignorant if they dont like certain people?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

Well when you put it in that context you're right. Clearly bigot would be a more appropriate adjective. Thanks for clarifying that. Though it's not a very big stretch to get from bigot to ignorant as the two thought processes go hand in hand.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

Not liking certain people for what they do is in no way ignorant.

Where is your tolerance for differing opinions?

The hypocrisy by those who demand tolerance and acceptance is absolutely laughable

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

doubletap

Not liking certain people for what they do is in no way ignorant.

For what they do, no. Not linking them for who they ARE is an entirely different story though.

Where is your tolerance for differing opinions?

I have plenty. Its a discussion forum. One individual wrote of their disgust at the "Gay Scenario", I wrote a reply. That's how these things work. Suddenly though I'm in the wrong for my opinion yet theirs stands as valid. A fantastic segue into your next statement...

The hypocrisy by those who demand tolerance and acceptance is absolutely laughable

See my above reply and then Mr. Pot I'd like to introduce you to my friend Kettle. The person I was responding too was just as entitled to their opinion as you are to yours. However if you publicly post something on a message board with an international membership you can't feign shock and awe if someone else thinks the opinion in question is bigoted or ignorant. It's simply MY opinion and has no relevance whatsoever unless of course you personally echo the opinion I took umbrage with and are personally offended. It's sort of like how I think an organization like the Westboro Baptist Church is one of the most wretched and vile organizations I've ever heard in my lifetime. On a personal level, especially as an Army Veteran, I'd like nothing more than to watch them roast alive. With that said, as much as they nauseate me I fully support their 1st amendment rights to spout their hate filled vitriol whenever they so choose. Not understanding my point of view doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes you ignorant which is your god given right as a red blooded Amurikan.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Perhaps you need to learn the definition of ignorant since your opinion uses it in the wrong context.

There is nothing ignorant about not liking someone because of who they are, what they do, or what demographic they belong to.

Using a word you don't know the definition of makes one ignorant

edit on 14-3-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I would call ignorance a fair word to use. All you have to do to prove ignorance is look at the VERY obviously ignorant reasons people give for there belief system.

Most that have a religious reason as the basis for there "bigotry". Taking a very uneducated view such as " the bible is the perfect word of god". Anyone who did open minded research on the subject would have to conclude belief in that is ignorant to actual history. Those that say it's not natural to be gay should watch my dog try and get on other male dogs lol. Or just look at the fact homosexuality has pretty much been around as long as people have. So IMHO this would be ignorant as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think the better question is why is bigotry wrong? Why is racism wrong? Why is having an opinion on certain issues wrong? I'm honestly really getting tired of politically correct nonsense. Some people don't think the same way as you, get over it.
edit on 15-3-2014 by simsumre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

doubletap

Perhaps you need to learn the definition of ignorant since your opinion uses it in the wrong context.

ig·no·rant
ˈignərənt/
adjective
adjective: ignorant
lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
"he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid"

Synonyms: uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, unread, uninformed, unenlightened

The final synonym is quite appropriate in the context in which I am using the word ignorant but thanks for your delectable concern for my grammar.

There is nothing ignorant about not liking someone because of who they are, what they do, or what demographic they belong to.

There certainly is if your disgust with another individual, their background or lifestyle means you distance yourself entirely from the source of said disgust. The inevitable outcome of that scenario is complete ignorance. Pease see above if you're having difficulty with what it means to be ignorant. I know it's tough to read while wagging your finger at me in contempt but give it a try.

Using a word you don't know the definition of makes one ignorant

edit on 14-3-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

So what is it called when pontificating your pride from atop that soap box only to find that the thing you have been pontificating about turns out to be yourself. I guess I should be pleased that you have decided to attack grammar and not dispute to bigoted nature of what I was initially replying too.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Hi.

I'm a gay dude.

When I was in high school, I didn't talk to straight men because of the way that the general popuation of them acted (arrogant, attention-seeking, fake, machismo-addicted neanderthaals are words that would have been symmeterical with them in my opinion)

Now I'm a big boy and I realize that not all straight men are so bad. Most of them are pretty smelly, ugly, and socially repugnant, but there are lots of great ones, too.

I realized that by allowing my initial and repeated perceptions of straight men to make my decision on the kind of people that they were before I even met them, I was being IGNORANT to the lifestyle, compusure, and good nature of milllions of straight men, whom I didn't know anything about, simply because they belonged to a group that I percieved so repeatedly as being stupid, smelly and obnoxious morons.

Now, tell me, do you see the symmetry between this anecdote and the ignorance against the gay community? Or are you too busy smelling awful and beating your chest?
edit on 17-3-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join