It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is bigotry genetic?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

Really!?! You sound like one of those " we can fix the gays".

YIPES! Not at all. Some of my best friends are gay or black, yellow or red. I myself am a part Ojibway mongrel and I do not throw stones.

I simply view it as my job to stick my finger in the dike of returning-expanding Eugenics-Genetic policies.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well I can see if you think being gay is genetic then you will automatically believed that being a bigot is generic too.

However I am living proof being the "B" in LGBT is not genetic but based on my choice, environment and feelings.

Read my comment on Page one of this thread.

I am wondering why no one is replying to my earlier post in this thread. Maybe you know being gay or a bigot is not genetic but a choice after all?

edit on 4-3-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

boncho

Not entirely genetic because idiocy seems contagious.

So people are idiots because their opinions differ from yours?

Or is it you are just the perfect example of intellectualism at its peak and you know best?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

ArtemisE
However it bothers me to see gay sexuality. Even tho logically I have no problem with it. That leads me to believe that heterosexual males might be genetically geared to have the stomach turn reaction.

It makes your stomach turn? Hm, I wouldn't know how I'd react. I've never looked into that kind of stuff!

Joking aside, I think it actually has more to do with culture and environment. I've seen very bigoted people change over time. I think it's a bit like people's political leanings. If someone grows up in a conservative home, they tend to lean conservative. I think the same applies for bigotry and racism.

It also seems that bigotry is more prevalent among the uneducated. People with low IQ's or a sub-par education seem to be more bigoted. Obviously that's a generalization, but having more knowledge about another social group tends to reduce feelings of hatred.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

I think because you are the exception not the rule. I think most gays were attracted to the same sex first. I have known 2 five year olds that you can tell are most likely gay. Different families. All family members in both are straight. I think someone who can turn it off and on is an " anomaly".

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Both being gay and the aversion to homosexuality are environmental? Or just the aversion? I don't see how one could be wiring and the other not.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

doubletap

boncho

Not entirely genetic because idiocy seems contagious.

So people are idiots because their opinions differ from yours?

Or is it you are just the perfect example of intellectualism at its peak and you know best?

Trying to make a point for me?

So in context of the thread, I was referring to bigots and racists. Since the thread was talking about genetic predisposition or traits and positing whether genes also cause some people to be ignorant or indifferent towards these people.

Given that many places in the world there are cultures of hatred directed at certain types of people, learned behaviours. Sometimes by family or peers. Simple as a group of kids picking on someone because they are black, asian, brown, etc. Or perhaps because their father makes fun of homos, they do it themselves among their schoolmates.

Similar to the "monkeys in a box".

I think that was the point I was making. Yours was?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think the aversion to homosexuality could be wiring. Then from there lead to bigotry.

I don't think other forms of bigotry would fall into the same category. When talking about homosexuality. A lot of our wiring has to do with sexuality. So I could see sexual attraction and aversion having way more to do with wiring then racial or social bigotry.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I would just like to thank everyone for keeping this topic intellectual. I really wanted to avoid morality and discuss the science of it all.
edit on 4-3-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by ChesterJohn

I think because you are the exception not the rule. I think most gays were attracted to the same sex first. I have known 2 five year olds that you can tell are most likely gay. Different families. All family members in both are straight. I think someone who can turn it off and on is an " anomaly".

I didn't just turn off I could at any time go back to that lifestyle if I chose too. But it just doesn't interest me any more or turn me on as it did in my younger days.

Actually I have met quite a few ex-gay men who like me have changed. They too are no longer attracted as they were when they were younger. they are now living hetero lives with mates of the opposite sex.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Lots of straight men and women like anal, I don't think sexual acts give any indication of being gay there are gay women who don't like oral.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by boncho

I think the aversion to homosexuality could be wiring. Then from there lead to bigotry.

I don't think other forms of bigotry would fall into the same category. When talking about homosexuality. A lot of our wiring has to do with sexuality. So I could see sexual attraction and aversion having way more to do with wiring then racial or social bigotry.

It's a cultural thing though. In many places of the world and throughout history it's just another fact of life…

Throughout history too. In rome, not so taboo. In medieval times, not the hottest topic.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
My feelings about gay sex I explain this way: I love my parents, but the very last thing I want to do is think about them having sex. In fact, if I try to do it, I feel the same level or type of revulsion/discomfort I experience when I see/think about two men or two women going at it. The feelings are identical.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

ChesterJohn
Well I can see if you think being gay is genetic then you will automatically believed that being a bigot is generic too.

However I am living proof being the "B" in LGBT is not genetic but based on my choice, environment and feelings.

Read my comment on Page one of this thread.

I am wondering why no one is replying to my earlier post in this thread. Maybe you know being gay or a bigot is not genetic but a choice after all?

Or maybe we're just aware that it's a waste of time addressing someone who thinks that their personal anecdote is "PROOF".

I was bisexual back in the day as well; now I am married to a member of the same sex. I don't find attraction to anyone else but my husband anymore, either. I guess I "chose" to be gay because I was attracted to someone and married him? I sure could've saved myself from a lot of trouble if I had "chosen" otherwise!

I used to hate lasagna when I was younger. I would put it in my mouth and literally gag and not be able to swallow it. Now I'm older and my tastebuds have changed and I quite enjoy lasagna. Guess I had a point in my life where I just realized that liking lasagna was a "choice"?

I'm sorry, but your train of thought is just ridiculous.
edit on 4-3-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

Let me know when they identify the bigot gene that way I can refer you to have it removed.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

Yes, well, I'll raise you an anecdote. My sister went through her own "lesbian" phase ... and then she met her husband and married him and now has three kids.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I find the gay scenario quite disgusting.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Nochzwei
I find the gay scenario quite disgusting.

It's not nearly as disgusting as ignorance. Mostly because being ignorant IS a choice. And an ugly one at that because it is a clear choice to remain ignorant where who you love isn't really a choice at all.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I am a firm believer in homosexuality being genetic.

I disagree:
Though, not intentionally, I've spent an awful lot of time, throughout my life, contemplating homosexuality, and trying to understand "Why?" (As in: Why does it exist?). Instead of "What?" (As in: What is it?, What's wrong with it?, What's right with it? What should we do about it, What shouldn't we do about?, ...?).

This is what I've decided:
1) Homosexuality is, driven by an urge, that wasn't present at birth.

2) Because it's an urge, it can't be, entirely, dependent upon learned behavior.

3) Because it's not, entirely, dependent upon learned behavior, I can't imagine why, ANYONE, SHOULD EVER, BELIEVE THAT IT'S WRONG.

4) So, my conclusion is: It's JUST, a matter of, "Different strokes, for different folks".

Question FOR ALL thread participants:
WHAT, in the Hell, could possibly, BE WRONG WITH THAT? (Don't worry about that question derailing your thread. Nobody, EVER... , bothers to answer my silly ass questions, anyway.)

I'm also a supporter of LGBT rights and gay marriage.

That's cool... Everyone should have a cause, TO BELIEVE IN.

I am a devout athiest progressive.

I am, STRICTLY, agnostic (Though, many atheists love to tell me, that I'm not.) in regard to God, politics, and pretty much, every other damn thing.

Thank you, for affording me this chance to express my current thoughts, on "homosexuality".

See ya buddy, (Just, so you know: I consider "buddy", to be a gender neutral term)
Milt
edit on 097America/Chicago3RAmerica/Chicago2014-03-05T19:19:54-06:00Wednesday00000054America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

ArtemisE

I am a firm believer in homosexuality being genetic. I'm also a supporter of LGBT rights and gay marriage.

Here's my point. If people are born wired to be gay, could the aversion to homosexuality by straight men, be genetic as well?

I don't think so.
Homosexuality is found in many species including humans; homophobia however is only found in humans. So I don't know where this genetic would come from and why.

reply to post by BenReclused

1) Homosexuality is, driven by an urge, that wasn't present at birth.

Nobody has sexual urges at birth. It takes till puberty for sexuality to develop and there are people who knew they were attract to their own gender as young as that.
edit on 14-3-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join