It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-Russian forces fire warning shots in Ukraine as as Kerry heads to Kiev / RT Announcer speaks out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Pro-Russian forces fire warning shots in Ukraine as as Kerry heads to Kiev

Pro-Russian troops fired warning shots at around 300 Ukrainian soldiers protesting at a military airfield in the Crimea, as Secretary of State John Kerry was on his way to Kiev in an expression of support for Ukraine's sovereignty.

About a dozen Russian soldiers at the Belbek air base stood guarding the airfield and warned the Ukrainians on Tuesday, who were marching unarmed, not to approach. They fired several warning shots into the air and said they would shoot the Ukrainians if they continued to march toward them.

The shots were apparently the first fired since pro-Russian troops -- estimated by Ukrainian authorities to be 16,000 strong --tightened their grip on the Crimea Peninsula over the weekend.

The development came as Kerry was on his way to Kiev to meet with the new Ukrainian leadership that deposed a pro-Russian president, and has accused Moscow of a military invasion. The Kremlin, which does not recognize the new Ukrainian leadership, insists it made the move in order to protest millions of Russians living there.

Click link for remainder of article...

Courtesy of Xavi1000 - Skynews - Video

A brave RT commentator takes Russia / West / Media to task. Apparently RT censored the segment.

edit on 4-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Additional developments -

Meanwhile, pro-Russian authorities in Crimea said they’ll cut off water and electricity to Ukrainian soldiers in bases surrounded by Russian forces Monday night, a former Russian lawmaker said, Reuters reported.

Earlier Monday, armed men seized a Ukrainian border checkpoint at a ferry terminal between Russia and Crimea, Reuters reported.

Russians had been surrounding the ferry terminal for days, but had not taken control of Ukraine's border guard station until now, Reuters said, citing Ukrainian border guards.

The troops seized the checkpoint after guards tried to stop two buses carrying seven armed men, and the next ferry brought three truckloads of soldiers across, a border guard spokesman said, Reuters reported.

Those developments came after heated exchanges at an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security meeting on Monday, in which the U.S. ambassador said there was no justification for Russia’s military intervention in Ukraine, while her Russian counterpart said the ousted Ukrainian president had asked Russia to use troops.

Russia is really wanting to spark a war.

Should hostilities break out I wonder what the chances are of Russian forces seizing the East Ukraine area.

The shots fired were directed at unarmed Ukrainian soldiers, who apparently were told by Russian forces that if they advanced closer the would be shot.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Simon Shuster,reporter in Moscow for TIME is following this situation.

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Russia is really wanting to spark a war.

Should hostilities break out I wonder what the chances are of Russian forces seizing the East Ukraine area.

The shots fired were directed at unarmed Ukrainian soldiers, who apparently were told by Russian forces that if they advanced closer the would be shot.

Its calm now

Ukraine column has reached Russian checkpoint. Russians begin firing in the air. Ukrainians keep marching.

Russians call commander to negotiate. Troops have RPGs and machine guns trained on the column of unarmed Ukrainian soldiers.

Russians back down, allow 10 Ukraine soldiers to take up positions at occupied base, but still awaiting orders from Moscow.

Ukraine commander demands to guard the base jointly with Russians, who pledge to give their commanders' response by 12:00, in 2 hours.

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Thanks for the twitter link / updates.

Russia starts process of Annexing Crimea.

In Russian
In the Duma have registered project for Crimea

Parliament reminded Putin that only she can ask for troops

Poland believes that Russia is threatening it and initiates a meeting NATO

In the Duma have registered project for Crimea
Monday, March 3, 2014, 14:17

In the State Duma of Russia registered the Bill concerning the annexation of the Crimea.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The shots fired were directed at unarmed Ukrainian soldiers

No they were not! They were fired into the air as a warning!

P

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

pheonix358

The shots fired were directed at unarmed Ukrainian soldiers

No they were not! They were fired into the air as a warning!

P

Because of the unarmed Ukrainian soldiers. Just before they were told if they continue to advance they would be shot at.

But by all means, split hairs.

Simon Shuster ‏@shustry · 8m
Marching along with the Ukraine brigade were the wives of four of the officers, all standing surrounded by Russian snipers at Belbek

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

In the Duma have registered project for Crimea Monday, March 3, 2014, 14:17 In the State Duma of Russia registered the Bill concerning the annexation of the Crimea.

Stupid IMO. I don't get the people there being cool with their country no longer existing where they live. Being independent is one thing.. Whatever tho, if they want to now be in Russia, let them.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Belbek" again the Ukrainian, the occupiers controlled runway

Looks like Ukrainian forces took control of the airport.

however, its coming from a Russian translation.. Any Russian speakers that can translate for more accurate account?

Wookiep
Stupid IMO. I don't get the people there being cool with their country no longer existing where they live. Being independent is one thing.. Whatever tho, if they want to now be in Russia, let them.

I don't think that is it. First of the media output in Crimea is low since the Ukrainian stations are off the air. Media accounts are coming from foreign based on the ground.

Pro Ukraine protestors are being attacked by pro Russian (the irony abounds).

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

I was not trying to split hairs. In this situation it is critical to say what we mean and mean what we say. 'Directed at' means fired at, but missed. 'Fired in the air as a warning to the approaching unarmed troops' is what happened.

There are enough of these communication problems in this thread without making it worse.

No offense intended, none at all. It is just an important distinction to make.

P

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

pheonix358

I was not trying to split hairs. In this situation it is critical to say what we mean and mean what we say. 'Directed at' means fired at, but missed. 'Fired in the air as a warning to the approaching unarmed troops' is what happened.

There are enough of these communication problems in this thread without making it worse.

P

Its cool.. I just don't agree.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Yeah I guess.. Who knows what is going on with all the propaganda. All I know is the pro-Russian sentiment that I have seen in videos etc from that region is ridiculous and ignorant. Like I said, being independent from Ukraine is one thing, disagreeing with western Ukraine is also understandable..But to let Russia come in and blatantly take over and choose what happens to their whole region voluntarily is insanity.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Shots were fired, the guys negociated their entrance to the airfield.

The Ukraines gained entrance and their planes...

Old news now. WW3 hasnt started just yet.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

@Abby Martin speaks out against the russian invasion of Crimea on RT.

Wow. That was courageous and she is absolutely right.

...and I thought the staff at RT are all vetted by FSB lol.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Here is the video of situation.Brave Ukrainians!!

news.sky.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

xavi1000
Here is the video of situation.Brave Ukrainians!!

news.sky.com...

The way he was setting up the pecheneg wasn't very friendly...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

ColCurious

@Abby Martin speaks out against the russian invasion of Crimea on RT.

Wow. That was courageous and she is absolutely right.

...and I thought the staff at RT are all vetted by FSB lol.

I 100% agree... I am not a fan of RT news, however she just earned my respect.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   

pheonix358

P

I was not trying to come across as an ass, however after re-reading my posts I can see it came across that way.

It was not intended and I apologize.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
IF RT didn't air the segment, how did someone record it?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

khimbar
IF RT didn't air the segment, how did someone record it?

RT recorded it.. Was the segment replayed during non live hours? Is there a delay between speaking and broadcasting (US media does that, adding in a time delay in order to head of foul language (giving time to be able to bleep it etc). Did someone at RT who saw it post it so it could get out?

I don't have an answer, just possibilities. I pulled it from one of the twitter feeds from xavi1000's initial twitter link. I typed crimea in on the search and it popped.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join