It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Deep Web

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
source

IF YOU think you are accessing the whole internet through browsers such as Chrome and Firefox, you are completely wrong.

interesting read. The issue for me is propaganda; if the general public are only accessing 4% of the information... ???
Why can't we access the other 96%?
bit of a worry.

thing that bugs me is the fact that the other information not easily accessible is then branded as 'illegal'...or a haven for illegal purposes.

I feel that is more propaganda...to prevent People using fear tactics from freeing themselves and finding out other truths.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
from what I understand of the deep web, it is the non web-crawled pages that have no entry on a www web browser, and also you need to take into account that your computer, like all computers have 2 operating systems, one that you don't see often, but runs in the backgroud all the same, the DOS background from which all of our pretty interfaces are made in, much of what is our see able internet has been made into html/http language for visual ease, but many web sites still run in dos format in the background or if they have no rendering then they are not accessible. A lot of the background internet is our worldwide financial transactions.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
we can always consult a more educated view

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
also another thought I just had about "access" is that there is the vast number of websites and internet that is just not in English, barring use of a translator, how much does a person not speaking the same language really interact with not only a foreign language but also not understanding culture and customs.. take into account that the US has 238 million internet users and China has 420 million. royal.pingdom.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

yeah I read that before. I am not convinced that that information is entirely accurate though. A ratio of 96/4 % is a huge margin. To be fair and incorporate banking and defence/govt etc that could explain 50% of unavailable data but what about the rest?

when I read it, it just reminded me of the statistics about wealth distribution around the World. What is wealth? = power.
Maybe I should ignore George Orwell's book I read years ago 1984 and Animal Farm?

Throughout history, Govts have relied on propaganda as a tool to control the majority and who are the majority? Typically, People who are poor.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

good point about the language barriers, however, the information still comes up on many search engines, even if it is in another language. It is still available and that is more than likely, included in the 4%.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

The deep web is very interesting, you can access it through TOR and also there is another web that can be accessed through MIRC. What TOR does, is it accesses web sites that can only be accessed through the TOR browser. There are places on there like the Silk Road, where you can buy contraband -

I'm not sure what else is on the TOR-accessible web. I haven't accessed it before, but my friend has, and even with his advanced security systems on his desktop, he had it melt down twice from being hit by massive hacks wanting to zombify it.

MIRC is a lot more friendly, basically a text-based internet with a lot of forums. When I went on there years ago, there were places I could download anime ran by bots, kind of like shops.

"Press 1 to download Bleach 190, 2 for Naruto 156..."

There are also a lot of cool forums.

Download MIRC

I would recommend IRC.

Tor Project

Tor also allows for anonymous web browsing of regular websites, although there has been talk of it being compromised and back-doored.

Tor Web Directory and Deep Web News

Access this site using Tor.

Search IRC

This is what you want to use in order to search for the correct IRC channel.

If you go on the Deep Web through TOR, run heavy security.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

also you need to take into account that your computer, like all computers have 2 operating systems, one that you don't see often, but runs in the backgroud all the same, the DOS background from which all of our pretty interfaces are made in,

Don't mean to correct you but you are giving incorrect information. NT based OS (WinNT, XP, Win7 & 8) are not running on top of any DOS based OS. Actually it's the other way around. The NT kernal handles all executive OS functions and runs a MS DOS environment within a separate address space. The last MS OS to run with an MSDOS kernal was WinME, then Win 98, etc.

OP download TOR to browse the deep web.

TOR

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Ok Thanks Bro. I'm not very knowledgeable in computers myself, like my car I take it to a technician rather than mess under the hood myself

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
If everyone could see what goes through the internet it would create chaos, most of the data is encrypted or hidden for public view or else everyone would have acces to your bank account and other data that you wouldn't want anyone to know about.

What you can see is what is supposed to be seen, the rest and the majority is hidden for security and data that are not directly visible in the way it's just data but still traffic.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

The deep web is very interesting, you can access it through TOR

People in this thread seem to be confusing the "deep web" with the "darknet". The deep web is simply parts of the internet which have not or cannot be indexed by search engines, for example a members only section of a website. The darknet includes hidden services and other networks which require special protocols and software to access, for example Freenet, I2P and Tor.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
As other posters have said, it's the parts of the internet you won't see on a search engine, only while running tor or another such program. You have to know the URL of the website you're trying to access as there's no search engines for hidden services.

There's everything from unindexed academic websites, private websites for science labs, companies, but most of these you need to have a username and password and be a part of it to get access.

But if you do go, I beg you to spend alot of time researching it first, the worst things you could imagine someone would set up a website for, are on there due to the anonymous nature of the services (not that you're truly anonymous while accessing it).

A google search for "deep web" should bring up a few forums with stories on people's experiences on there.

ATS thread on the deep web: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4-3-2014 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

Edit: It's somewhat similar to what the internet used to be in it's early days, there is a vast amount of illegal and questionable content on there, it's not all bad by any means, but a case could be made for calling it the wild west of the internet.
edit on 4-3-2014 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The vast majority of the deep web is internal to governments, companies, and individuals. To get into those sites, you have to be within the firewall. Very little of what is available inside a firewall is exposed to browsers on the outside. Only a tiny fraction of this type of data is ever compiled and released to the WWW. The visible web could easily be less than 1% of the entire web.

TOR gets you more into the "dark web" rather than the "deep web" per se. The dark web might be thought of as a dark corner of the usual (visible) www web, but it definitely doesn't cover but a very tiny fraction of entire web. The dark web is really the content you could get to if you knew the generally unpublished address. The deep web, in contrast, would remain inaccessible even if you did know the addresses.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
So... you guys forgot/dont know about the huge chunk of the internet ?

With some server data retention up to 3 years or more and birth since VAX still roam the earth and before internet was born and it still working hard - Usenet.
Google try to index it but even they drop the effort.
Remember, nobody talk about usenet and those who use it dont talk about it.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

MIRC is nothing like TOR network.

MIRC well IRC as its known is just a really complex chat system.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

take that article with a grain of salt. because who ever wrote it doesn't technically understand how TOR works.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Books often contain web addresses that can't be found with normal search engines.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Mianeye
If everyone could see what goes through the internet it would create chaos, most of the data is encrypted or hidden for public view or else everyone would have acces to your bank account and other data that you wouldn't want anyone to know about.

What you can see is what is supposed to be seen, the rest and the majority is hidden for security and data that are not directly visible in the way it's just data but still traffic.

Its not completely hidden only from the honest.

Not to sure about the fiber optic sniffing video I just posted so I removed it. didn't seem plausible to me on what they were showing.. But I do believe fiber optic sniffing can be done.

Then they can also sniff WiFi packets.

On my server I had Smoothwall installed this was a Linux firewall, anyone on my network who was chatting on MSN, Yahoo it was logging their conversations. Also logging their web activity.
This is going back to 2007 round about.
edit on 4/3/2014 by amraks because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/3/2014 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
IRC has absolutely nothing to do with the deep web. IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, and is used for just that, chatting and file transfer. I have been using IRC since 1996 thereabouts. MIRC is a client to chat with, there are literally hundreds of clients out there, MIRC seems to be the most popular for windows based operating systems

If you want to access the deep web, download TOR, then try and find the hidden wiki. Be aware that it is really, and I mean really slow. And protect yourself, the deep web is not a safe place to be if you don't know what you are doing.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The portion of the internet commonly accessible to search engines such as Google or Bing comprises about 19k terabytes of the internet. There's 100+k terabytes beyond that which you have never laid eyes on and likely never will. Be grateful - the deep web is host to numerous businesses and organizations you're better off knowing nothing about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join