It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Russia Crisis Raises Space Station Questions, NASA Has Options"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Xeven
reply to post by snypwsd

Only Russia and China have space capsules right now that can carry humans. US has some that have never been tested with humans before. US?West has no "Proven" means to fly humans into space at this time.

If you believe that I have some land i want to sell you. Our military has been in space for quite some time now.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

JadeStar

Destinyone
reply to post by JimOberg

We can personally thank Obama for scrapping our space program to funnel more funds into the important stuff, like giving a free ride to illegal aliens, and buying votes.

Again with this myth? No matter how many times this lie is told it does not make it any truer.

You talk as if you ingest nothing but Fox News.

Shouldn't you change Obama to Bush?

The Shuttle was cancelled under Bush,as well as a bunch of other NASA programs:

One party, the one which Bush belonged to was openly hostile towards science. That's a matter of public record not revisionist history.

IF you want to play that game shouldn't you take it to the US Political Madness forum to prevent thread drift?
edit on 3-3-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

TY JadeStar. Saved me all the work.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
LOL, I can see it now. The American's beaten to a pulp, gagged and strapped down with good ole gaffer tape. It ends much like the Movie Gravity. There is the Door! Que the sequel.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

13th Zodiac
LOL, I can see it now. The American's beaten to a pulp, gagged and strapped down with good ole gaffer tape. It ends much like the Movie Gravity. There is the Door! Que the sequel.

Not giving Russian cosmonauts too much credit are we? I'm glad people like you aren't chosen for any country's space program.

I seriously doubt Russia is going to play middle school tactics and take their shuttles and go home. They don't need to be punitive brats, they are making themselves look like they have the the moral high ground and are world leader. Their tactic is to expose the US government for the whiny impotent spoiled brat it is, stranding innocent astronauts in space would be the last thing they'd do right now, if for no other reason, they don't have to.

People should stop thinking of Putin as Dr Evil, he's an intelligent leader who knows what he is doing. He isn't a Kim Jong Un, he doesn't need to be.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Lighten up John Wayne. It's just a bit of humor. Nothing more. An America,Australian and a Scott walk into a bar....... . I am one of these 3. I can take a joke about my country.How about you? What if I'm American? Biased much. When I Think of this post, my first thought was Gravity due to the saturation on the Oscars last night. There is no need to be so sensitive.Ps , I still Think it's funny.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In other news, China are to launch first "space shuttle bus" this year. www.globaltimes.cn...
Yuanzheng-1 will play an important role in future moon and Mars exploration as well as orbital transfer and space debris clearing. The article doesn't mention manned flight, but I think it's a possibility.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

MysterX

Xeven
Right now if Russia choses to do so, it can strand the NASA Engineers that are up there now. The can also take complete control of the ISS and not allow US astronauts to fly up there. US should tread lightly. If I were an American up there I would be poopin my pants about now. Only Russia and possibly China could move humans to and from ISS or even space itself.
#

Nah..we British could do it if we had a shoelace, some chewing gum and a spare garden shed to work in.

And the funding...which has always been our achillies heel regarding space.

If Skylon was developed in the US it would already be flying right now. Sad but true.

By the way, amid all this gloom and doom, there's some optimism that this year will be a big one for private crewed space flight:

All three of the main contenders competing to return domestic crew launch capability to the United States are making good progress via the latest progress reports to the Commercial Crew Program (CCP). Boeing’s CST-100 and SNC’s Dream Chaser both passed new milestones recently, while SpaceX prepare for a pad abort test for the crewed version of their Dragon spacecraft.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
i'm i just mistaken or isn't there a long list of other countries,and private companies that could convert a vehicle to dock with the iss,
and do it pretty quick.
here are a couple of wiki's.

List Of Government Space Agencies

List Of Private SpaceFlight Companies

also i'm sure that there is a plan somewhere in nasa, to get to the iss if necessary.

as Harry Stamper said in Armageddon.

i mean, you-you're NASA for cryin' out loud, you put a man on the moon, you're geniuses! You-you're the guys that think this sh@@ up! I'm sure you got a team of men sitting around somewhere right now just thinking sh@@ up and somebody backing them up!

then there was the astrospies, they say they killed that one, but do you honestly think that the military doesn't have manned space capabilities.
for some reason, i can't get pbs pages to load. i was gonna link that page. well here is a youtube clip. maybe if you want to watch it go to pbs and watch it. it was on nova.
Astrospies
call them up.

edit on 4-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Hoaxster
NASA & the Russians cooperated even back in the Apollo Coldwar days ,,
edit on 3-3-2014 by Hoaxster because: (no reason given)

I was gonna say...

In my opinion I don't think Space exploration / Scientific missions should be factored into politics on the ground. I would not mind seeing some type of contingency program where if space cooperation is threatened because space partners are not the same on the ground, that a 3rd nation could essentially assume command until the situation on earth stabilizes.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Xeven
Right now if Russia choses to do so, it can strand the NASA Engineers that are up there now. The can also take complete control of the ISS and not allow US astronauts to fly up there. US should tread lightly. If I were an American up there I would be poopin my pants about now. Only Russia and possibly China could move humans to and from ISS or even space itself.

Hide.
There are probably people searching the hospital grounds as we speak. Quick behind that tree.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Xeven
reply to post by snypwsd

Only Russia and China have space capsules right now that can carry humans. US has some that have never been tested with humans before. US?West has no "Proven" means to fly humans into space at this time.

The space shuttles can be called back into service if need be. They were put on display the weren't destroyed.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

If that were true the program would have ended with Challenger and Columbia never would have blown up. Remember we lost two shuttles.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Xeven

No they can't take complete control of the ISS. It's intrinsic to the design whereby the ISS is made up of several modules made by different nations. If the Russians wanted to stop giving us rides that's one thing. But a complete takeover of the station is not very likely because all the power comes from one of the American modules. It's pretty easy to cut
the power off from Houston making the station useless to Putin.

There are several options, though none are optimal, that could get Americans to and from the ISS. It wouldnt be pretty and we might not be able to get off in an emergency depending on how long they had to escape but it's not entirely implausible to use alternative delivery
Methods to send and retrieve our astronauts as well as what other foreign countries have crew there. I believe that currently it's a crew consisting of 3 Russians, 2 Americans and 1 Japanese. The one sticky issue that I didn't realize
Until earlier today is that part of the deal we made is that the Russians are the only humans in space allowed to possess firearms. I'm not sure how thick the hull is and what the chances if explosive decompression are if someone took a shot and it went through but it's not an event if be thrilled about entertaining the notion of.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

Even when the shuttle was operational, the planned emergency lifeboat craft to get crew members off of the ISS were the Russian Soyuz capsules that are permanently docked there -- and are docked there for that specific purpose (and are sent back to earth on a rotation schedule to keep them "fresh").

Granted, when the shuttle was docked to the ISS, the Shuttle also served as a way off of the ISS in case of an emergency, but it was only a small percentage of the time that a Shuttle was ever docked with the ISS. That's why the Russian Soyuz has always been the #1 escape plan for ALL crew members of the ISS (no matter what country they are from), even when the Shuttle fleet was still in operation. And that's why a Soyuz (or two) is always there.

edit on 3/4/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Not based in reality at all. The code that runs the station is from the states, as is the computers. You really don't know what you are talking about. The switch to private companies for space flight was a very smart one. Quickly you will see the united states surge back to the lead.

This was very smart. Private companies will do it cheaper and better than nasa. It should also be safer.

If Russia tried anything with the station we would blast it into a million pieces. Oh you did not know we could do that Hmmmmm.

Self destruct is built into the station for if and when the time comes it needs to be in pieces.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
if you want to blame anyone for the lack of US access to space blame congress (both parties); they're underfunding commercial crew and focusing on the dead-end SLS.

BTW: it's important to point out that commercial crew is still a government funded program, NASA still is involved heavily on what is launched and when and etc. (in addition to providing technological assistance/test-grounds), however the ultimate design and operation of the spacecraft is carried out under a private company, in a series of fixed-costs milestones. (they get a portion of funding every time they can show they're making progress).

I doubt there will be much of anything in regards to space-policy changing.
edit on 16-3-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: Forgot some information.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

where did you hear there was a self-destruct device?
I think you're making that up.
I mean they could shoot a missle at it, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.
Unless you're talking about the self-destruct device/flight-termination system on the rockets, but that's a different system and not on the space-station.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join