U.S. President Barack Obama has more than 19.5 million fake Twitter followers.

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
www.hoaxorfact.com...

It is a common practice for celebrities, politicians, start-up companies, aspiring rock stars, and anybody looking for fame and much social media presence to buy large blocks of Twitter followers. There are many websites and services that sell Twitter followers by the thousands, and even Facebook likes and YouTube views.
This practice has become so widespread that StatusPeople.com, a social media management company has a Web tool called the 'Fake Follower Check' that it says can show up how many fake followers you and your friends have. In a related article on The New York Times published in August 2012, it was reported that the Fake Follower Check web tool had shown that 70 percent of President Obama’s nearly 19 million followers are fake. Again, in September 2013, mail Online (dailymail.co.uk) talked about the same tool saying 53 per cent of Obama's 36.9 million Twitter followers – or 19.5 million – are fake. It also published a list of U.S. politicians with many fake followers, which you can see in Image Gallery. As of this writing, when we checked using the same tool, President Barack Obama had 59% fake, 31% inactive and only 10% good Twitter followers.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NotSoAnonymous

What's the going rate for a fake twitter follower?
I just want to have an idea how many tax dollars that attention whore spent on them.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

He may not have bought them.

This vid was posted a couple of weeks ago (can't remember who by sorry) about Facebook likes. The same applies for Twitter followers.

Click farms click for free too so as not to get caught.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Likes, followers, hits and voters. All BS. Just like BO's reign up at the house.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I do not post on twitter, dont follow anyone on twitter and don't know anyone that uses it either.

So I have to ask.....so what? Obama has fake followers. Why does that matter?

And I'm not trying to be an ass, it's a serious question.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

So, fake followers to cheer him on in his fake leadership.

Sounds about right to me...

Des

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
I do not post on twitter, dont follow anyone on twitter and don't know anyone that uses it either.

So I have to ask.....so what? Obama has fake followers. Why does that matter?

And I'm not trying to be an ass, it's a serious question.

Yes it's Important when trying to understand a person's mentality. Not to mention a person who happens to be president of the United States. He is Pretending to have a strong following of folks who want to hear what he is sharing. Why would a president want people to believe he has 20 million more people actually following him then there really are? It shows his real character.

If you met somebody on Facebook, started to get to know that person, and then find out he bought most of his friends to portray himself as important. Would you continue to talk to that person? Would a Red flag go up? Or does that seem like normal behavior for a grown man?

I the real world, people who buy Facebook likes, twitter followers, ect. are called Narcissistic. They are called Losers. When possibly the most powerful politician in the world does it we make Excuses for him and pretend it shouldn't matter.

Unless you feel this country is a Lost Hope. and any president is going to Lie, Pretend to be something there not, do the exact opposite of what they promise. Then I guess it doesn't matter.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

That video is from veritasium. Its a science channel on youtube. Good stuff the guys name is derrick.

Its a great video and a channel i subscribe to.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)
edit on 9-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Well if one actually looks into the hoax fact, that part in numbers (19.? million) might be true, to get to the bottom of it how many of those accounts are real or spam generated/created ? but let me tell you I never paid a dime for follower on twitter but I will tell you this, I have a ton of fake followers I did not ask for nor know who they are, guess what they are ? x-rated or spam type accounts , dumb auto quoting followers etc, which yes we know twitter does possibly do some maintenance on them and delete, but anyone that understands spam, that is basically what I would put money on, is the bulk, I do not have tons of followers but if this is a percentage based number then you have to take that into account, you have to physically block an unwanted follower, so I just say use a little common sense when you read a headline like that.

But we all know that this is not new news even if he did buy them, which I really doubt but remember this ?
Romney and others allegedly purchased droves of fake followers

I mean it really makes it look like the president or whoever runs his twitter has gone and purposefully created fake users, I think that's a little stretch if you ask me just from my own experiences with this irritating feature, I get fake followers daily and I am not even anywhere near as popular/unpopular worldwide.

Take a look at the numbers to get to the real answer, it's the only way if you ask me, but honestly I can't imagine where this even matters, people have started using social media in official capacities (employers looking at facebook , twitter and linked in which honestly I think should be banned as any type of informal background investigation or measure of anything to be taken seriously, best thing though is to not even use them)for some reason when they are owned by private companies, and even more suspect, is it's on the internet
edit on 9-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Everyone has fave twitter followers. The more popular you are the more you have. This is no suprise to anyone the uses twitter. Of course anyone who thinks any President has any clue about his twitter account is fooling themselves.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
well he does have to create the illusion for himself that he is liked so he can sleep soundly at night

new topics
top topics

join