It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Demonstrate New Type of Holographic Memory Device

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Researchers Demonstrate New Type of Holographic Memory Device

Researchers have now created a new type of holographic memory device that can store a large amount of datausing spin waves.

The device developed by researchers at the University of California, Riverside Bourns College of Engineering and Russian Academy of Science paves way for new kind of memory storage devices that can store large amount of data in three dimensions.

"The results open a new field of research, which may have tremendous impact on the development of new logic and memory devices," said Alexander Khitun, the lead researcher, who is a research professor at UC Riverside, according to a news release.

The device exploits spin wave interference or collective oscillations of spins in magnets. Currently, storage devices use optical beams. Holography is a technique that captures light scattered by an object, and then presents it in such a way that the observer sees it as a three-dimensional image. The technique, also called "lens-less" photography, captures interference pattern at the film, which makes the image more detailed than a conventional photograph. Holograms seen in driver's licenses and currency notes are just few examples of the technique at work.

Holographic memory, the first time I ever heard of Holographic memory was back in 1984 in the movie 2010 when it was explained that the HAL9000 uses holographic memory.

I wondered then what that would really look and act like. Well this development means we are just about there with that type of technology used in our daily lives. Obviously our reality is lagging behind the described tech in the movies 2001 and 2010 but hey, I think it's close enough. I'll leave this for those who are less than familiar with the topic. It's a bit dated but explains it fairly well.

edit on 3-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I feel that technology will eventually leave hardware behind completely. I can't be sure exactly what that means, or else I would be at the patent office right now. All I can imagine is that perhaps permanent magnetic fields could be manipulated to store data, including software and the whole works. One day I will have a poker chip sized computer. When activated, it will generate a soft-screen keyboard and monitor on my desk. It will have almost nothing inside but projectors and stored energy. Everything else will be in the 'field'.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nice, thanks. What I've enjoyed are the many related and unrelated technologies being both discovered and used in computer-type tech, and lots of smart lads and lasses will take all of them into a room one day and come out with something that will give a quantum leap to the field. And then the next week some other folks, next tech-lab over, will make that one obsolete. Much on the way, and it seems to all build on the "new things" before it, with just the right twist and a few add-ons of the next new things.
edit on 3-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Woohoo!, were almost in the Golden Age of Technology.

1 future please!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadGhost

I truly feel that over the next decade alone we will *If we don't blow ourselves up* some remarkable advancements in many fields.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

There is a demand for an innovative storage method for storing large volumes of data at ultra-high recording density and at ultra-high speed. Magnetic-holographic memory meets this demand. This new technology enables more than 1 TB worth of data (equivalent to the total capacity of 40 Blu-ray discs, each with a typical capacity of 25 GB) to be recorded in a disc the size of a DVD or Blu-ray disc.

The research group led by Yuichi Nakamura, Associate professor at Toyohashi University of Technology, has applied this magnetic assist recording technology to magnetic-holographic memory and, for the first time in the world, succeeded in reducing recording energy consumption and achieving non-error data reconstruction.

Until now it has been difficult to obtain a clear reconstruction image with a magnetic hologram, due to strict requirements for material characteristics, optical conditions, and so on. Using magnetic assist recording, we have relaxed these requirements and also improved the reconstruction performance of recording media. This technology is promising for the future application of magnetic-holographic memory,"
-Zen Shirakashi

ScienceDaily.com, Dec. 5, 2017 - First step toward practical application of holographic memory with magnetic assist.

I know it is not the same as SLAYER69's team but it is still a major step forward!

Using the same interference patterns the Japanese team has reduce power usage, the need for error correction, and reduced the limitations on the recording medium.

Not bad for 3 years!

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadGhost

I also believe that our use of 'non-hard-hardware' will supersede our use of machine-like hardware in the near future. I feel that our use of 'energetics' will enable us to engineer 'up' in a spiral of 'layers' beyond the tangible, using magnetospheric fields, for example, to manipulate wave states, photons, or other quanta, etc. Eventually we will move into the realms of virtual particles within virtual topographical spaces, and it will be at that stage when we can truly start to engineer 'Matrix' environments, which we can start to access by direct brain interfacing.

It's this idea of engineering 'up' in evermore subtle layers of energetic field manipulation/particle control/virtual topology, which we seem to be awakening to these days - this is where # gets real... Or is that 'unreal'..?

top topics

join