It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artistic Autistic Savant Will Absolutely Amaze You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The artist you see here is Stephen Wiltshire. He is an artistic autistic savant. If you haven't heard of him... his art will leave you in awe.

Wiltshire was born in London, England, in 1974 to West Indian parents.[2] Wiltshire was mute when young. At the age of three, he was diagnosed as autistic. The same year, his father died in a motorbike accident.

At the age of five, Stephen was sent to Queensmill School in London where he expressed interest in drawing. He began to communicate through his art. His teachers encouraged his drawing, and with their aid Wiltshire learned to speak at the age of five. At the age of eight, he started drawing imaginary post-earthquake cityscapes and cars.

Wiltshire can look at a subject once and then draw an accurate and detailed picture of it. He frequently draws entire cities from memory, based on double, brief helicopter rides. For example, he produced a detailed drawing of four square miles of London after a single helicopter ride above that city. His nineteen-foot-long drawing of 305 square miles of New York City is based on a single twenty-minute helicopter ride.

This 18 ft. drawing you see him doing below, was done after a 20 minute helicopter ride... all from memory.

I could take 2,000 helicopter rides and not even begin to remember what Stephen has done here.

In May 2005, Stephen produced his longest ever panoramic memory drawing of Tokyo on a 52-foot canvas within seven days following a short helicopter ride over the city.
Since then he has drawn Rome, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Madrid, Dubai, Jerusalem and London on giant canvasses.
When Wiltshire took the helicopter ride over Rome, he drew it in such great detail that he drew the exact number of columns in the Pantheon.

This is his Tokyo Panoramic:

Here you can see a short video of Stephen in Rome. It's worth the watch IMO!

He always seems to remember even the smallest details down to roads, columns, etc. after just seeing it for a short time. It's unreal the way the human mind works sometimes. I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did. It does go to show that we all have gifts regardless of labels.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 3/3/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Artistic Autist Absolutely Amazes!

I suppose this is proof that our brains take in all of that info, but most of us are unable to access it.
edit on 3/3/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Amazing! It has been said that the subconsious mind records every detail of our experience, but the trouble is the conscious mind sometimes (often) getting in the way of our remembering. We must pursue greater investigation into the mental characteristics and habits of such gifted people that we can get a better understanding of the workings of the splendid machine that is the Mind.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I remember this guy when he was a kid, he drew big ben and the houses of parliament when he was younger, it was stunning, this is even more impressive.

I wonder how much a drawing of his is worth, i would love a landscape in my front room.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Biigs
I remember this guy when he was a kid, he drew big ben and the houses of parliament when he was younger, it was stunning, this is even more impressive.

I wonder how much a drawing of his is worth, i would love a landscape in my front room.

He has a gallery/website here: www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk...

You may be able to find something you like!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I saw this guy when I was a kid,back in the 80's on a TV program and was amazed at his talent.
I still am.
A good friend of my Mum's actually bought one of his drawings at an exhibition for approx £500 .
Its now worth somewhere in the region of £20 000 !

Wouldn't it be amazing if one day we could figure out how to unlock that potential in our own brains?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Great thread!

Savants give us a window to the amazing human brain and it's true potential.

As I understand it, 99% of people use the same part of their brains for the same thing. If you're hooked to an fMRI machine for example, and the technician says "solve 35 x 19 + 7", a very specific (and predictable) brain area will light up as you try to do the mental math. There is a math savant however, that uses the part of his brain that is responsible for rapid eye movements instead. He's one of the fastest mathematicians alive. Could we all unlock these powers? Yes.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
He flew, watch and remember, Ok
Later bring up the canvas and start drawing, Ok
Hes drawing what he remember, Ok
Hes watching and remembering what is hes currently drawing from what he watch and remember, spooky echo

wouldn't that have same effect as camera recording the tv which is showing what is being recorded on itself etc etc ?
but now its inside his mind, cue twilight zone theme

edit on 3-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Here's a link to the playlist for the entire program of the bottom video: www.youtube.com...

It's really a very interesting series.

new topics

top topics

join