It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry to visit Ukraine on Tuesday in show of support following Russian seizure

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I see what you are talking about.

I think it most likely has to do with justification for either side.

If one side or the other can claim the "legal high ground" then the UN pretty much becomes a moot point. Since Russia / US are on the security council any attempt to use the UN against each other is pointless since they can veto.

That leaves us with the major players making their case to the world to justify actions.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The reason Putin is so arrogant is because of weakness.....Not his. The leaders of the US and the EU are weak and apathetic. Not a single strong leader can be found in the west today. This is what progressive rule brings dear readers.

Historians will laugh at this presidents weakness. Just like good old Neville Chamberlain. Maybe we need a man like Churchill again. At least he had a set. What do ya say UK any Churchill's hiding out?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Xcathdra
reply to post by darkbake

I see what you are talking about.

I think it most likely has to do with justification for either side.

If one side or the other can claim the "legal high ground" then the UN pretty much becomes a moot point. Since Russia / US are on the security council any attempt to use the UN against each other is pointless since they can veto.

That leaves us with the major players making their case to the world to justify actions.

I think you are correct. It is a legal battle, and kind of like a legal game of chess because each side has to make sure any steps they take are legal, as they go, but still effective

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Russia Massing Military Forces Near Border With Ukraine

MOSCOW — Russia’s Defense Ministry announced new military operations in several regions near the Ukrainian border on Thursday, even as Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany warned the Kremlin to abandon the politics of the 19th and 20th centuries or face diplomatic and economic retaliation from a united Europe.

In Moscow, the military acknowledged significant operations involving armored and airborne troops in the Belgorod, Kursk and Rostov regions abutting eastern Ukraine, where many ethnic Russians have protested against the new interim government in Ukraine’s capital, Kiev, and appealed to Moscow for protection.

A day after a deputy minister denied any military buildup on the border, the Defense Ministry released a series of statements beginning early Thursday that appeared to contradict that. They outlined what was described as intensive training of units involving artillery batteries, assault helicopters and at least 10,000 soldiers.

Im going to guess that once the "vote" in Crimea is done we will see Russia invading E. Ukraine.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join