It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Claw

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by SLAYER69

Where have I seen something similar? Claws don't match though!

The one on the left seems to know italian body language.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
All I can say is Slayer....Very Very Cool Post!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Thats One Huge Chicken LOL
I Bet That Fed A Bunch Of Cavemen & Cavewomen

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

havok

Excellent find, Slayer.

I especially enjoyed reading about all the different findings that were previously unknown. But there was one in general that caught my attention from my focus lately on the Roman/Byzantine times. It is named the "Baby Disposal".

One thing you will realize by the end of this list is that people, at least in the past, were very fond of cannibalism, sacrifice, and torture. As a case in point, not long ago as several archaeologists were searching through the sewers beneath a Roman/Byzantine bathhouse in Israel when they came across something terrifying…baby bones, and lots of them. For whatever reason someone in the bathhouse above apparently felt compelled to dispose of hundreds of babies in the sewer below.

I just recently finished reading about the tragic slaying of children at the hands of King Herod because he was trying to kill the child who was fulfilling the prophecies of the coming Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth. Maybe this was a place where they rid of the bodies of some of those children? It is a bathhouse found in Israel, and from the same era...just pondering. I'm sure there would have to be much more evidence to prove such a theory.

In Roman times, there really weren't any maternity care or even hospitals. Your town or village would be really lucky if it has a physician who had been trained by the Greeks and ran his own medical business. The closest to maternity care were the temples run by worshippers of Athena. They took care of women about to give birth. Perhaps the bath-house was used as a way of relaxing and socializing? I'd imagine if there were a lot of mothers there, having a private bathing pool would be a desirable feature.
With a mortality rate of 40%, they would have the unfortunate duty of dealing with the unlucky ones.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Very Kewl !1
Only you come up with teh good stuff
S&F

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Harte

Indeed Harte, I did use 'ancient' loosely, I stand corrected. Maybe I had the term fossil on my mind during the researching/posting and it affected my wording.
May I add this too, regarding their extinction:

Humans first came in contact with the upland moa around 1250 to 1300 AD, when the Māori people arrived in New Zealand from Polynesia. Moa, a docile animal, were an easy source of food for the Māori and were eventually hunted to extinction in 1500

en.wikipedia.org...

Your quote pretty much shows we would have nothing at all to fear from these tasty critters, had they survived.

Think of the changes in the Thanksgiving tradition, had these birds not gone extinct.

Harte

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

My brother is foreman for a well known construction company that bores new tunnels, fixes old ones, and I don't know
the complete extent of it, but technically he is a miner spending most of his time in both types of sewers.

Anyhow, when he first started about 8 years ago he was always telling me about the baby skeletons he was finding every day. It
bothered him a great deal, though some could be miscarriages I don't know how you would flush a newborn size fetus down a toilet
so it remains quite a mystery as to where a great deal came from or how they ended up where he found them. But what was he to do? He was told by the others on his crew that it's quite common and there's no answers or remedies. He would also tell me about the condoms that were at least ten feet long from being in the water for so long. Yuck!

Now it doesn't really bother him anymore, at least on the level that it did as a very young man. He does his best to be good to people and just accepts it as part of reality that he can't change.

Pretty creepy stuff to deal with on your first year underground, though.
BTW, we live in the st.paul/minneapolis metro area if anyone's curious.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bangoli

Satanic cults may be responsible for the infant skeletons in said sewers.

edit on 4-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Amazing! thanks for the post..... s&f

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Think of the changes in the Thanksgiving tradition, had these birds not gone extinct.

Oh gosh it takes forever for a turkey to cook we'd have to start the bird two days ahead. Who has that much spare time these days?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by Harte

Oh gosh it takes forever for a turkey to cook we'd have to start the bird two days ahead. Who has that much spare time these days?

Imagine stuffing that bird!

I'd use this recipe:

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chicken, medium size
60 eggs
12 kg rice
2 kg pine nuts
2 kg almonds
1 kg pistachio nut
110 gallons water
5 lbs black pepper
salt
Directions:
1 Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken.
2 Boil until tender.
3 Cook rice until fluffy.
4 Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice.
5 Hard boil eggs and peel.
6 Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice.
7 Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens.
8 Add more rice.
9 Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice.
10 Broil over large charcoal pit until brown.
11 Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice.
12 Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts.
13 Serves a friendly crowd of 80-100.

Read more: www.food.com...

Substitute a whole moa for the camel (obviously.)

Harte

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Imagine the omelettes

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by Harte

Imagine the omelettes

Way ahead of you. Think of the pan size needed for a frittata.

I've thought about it long enough that I hope they do clone these walking feasts. Perhaps an ostrich egg could be used - though it would probably be too small.

Maybe a hybrid could be created, then use it's larger egg to clone a full-blooded moa.

Harte

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I just wanted to thank everybody for participating. It's been an interesting read.

Thank you

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Awesome find OP! Thank you for sharing!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

another bird.

edit on 123131p://bWednesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't know if Uli really wants traffic from this direction, but his "live CD coldclone" is called MOA, and has a pic of the bird's skeleton as the background. Check out sanbarrow.com... if you're interested. I've been using it for years and it's very cool, you may have to do some googling to gather up all the DL's to build it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

That's beautiful.

I helped out on a 'Moa dig' at Bell Hill, near Pyramid Valley in North Canterbury and it was one of the first times that a census was taken of all the flora and fauna recovered. I held Moa claws as well as a femur of what turned out to be one of the largest Moa ever found. I will try to hunt out my photos of my time there.
I was a lowly Geology student at the time and was in awe of the expertise of Richard Holdaway and Trevor Worthy. What they didn't know wasn't worth knowing, quite frankly.
We also found Tuatara bones and Haast Eagle bones. Exciting as!

Bell Hill

More Moa

More Moa, more

At the moment, in one of the Labs I manage, Moa bones are being 'dissolved' to extract their DNA from the resulting gel. It's well cool.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I knew it! The Claw is real!!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Surdenly is an interesting find Slayer. Thanks for the info

top topics

<< 1   >>

join