It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study suggests internet trolls may not be mentally healthy in real life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A new study from the University of Manitoba has shockingly claimed to have found that the Internet trolls we all know or love so well may not be very nice -- or particularly mentally healthy -- individuals in real life. The study tried to explore whether or not Internet trolls fell into the so called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others). The study (mostly survey, really) claims to have found:

However what is trolling to one person might be logical disagreement to another. In the political forums I have noticed the trolling tactic of never answering a question but always just pointing to the failings of the opposition, pointing fingers and playing the blame game and never ever taking responsibility for snarky comments.

I have become more tolerant of internet trolls; knowing that in their own mind they are suffering a living hell of anger, distrust, unreasonable hatred of imagined enemy's and psychotic paranoid delusions.

edit on 2-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Isnt there an ATS member named "TROLL"? I doubt they're a troll (on here nor in real life, though!=)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I wonder were Becky Becky is. She could do with reading this

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I didn't think anyone who posted on a conspiracy site was considered mentally healthy by the ones making the rules in society. So why should a troll be considered different.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

rickymouse
I didn't think anyone who posted on a conspiracy site was considered mentally healthy by the ones making the rules in society. So why should a troll be considered different.

That's a good point. I don't consider myself mentally healthy and I take plenty of "medicine" to combat my tendency to wallow in my ego generated world of brown shoes, worship of cartoon characters, tendency to fabricate mental illnesses, and sick infatuation with women who have large breasts.
edit on 2-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

"A new study from the University of Manitoba has shockingly claimed to have found that the Internet trolls we all know or love so well may not be very nice"
reply to post by olaru12

Ah well subjective "study" : now out with the meds and whilst we're at it lets shut down those thousands of Conspiracy sites ....
Pass more legislation, Gotta protect and look out for "the already dumbed down joe public" ...ahem

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I think we need to reaffirm that the internet doesn't constitute real life. Everyone is really just a person sitting in a room at their computers committing no actual crimes. Trolling is a battle of wits, no matter how low one is willing to stoop. Calling someone a troll is condemning someone on the content of their thoughts, a thought crime. Any supposed study into those who are purported to be "trolls" is trying to play thought police. We are not attacked by what shows up on our screens, and saying otherwise is pure superstition and delusion.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Please add your thoughts to this recent thread.

Thread closed

top topics

join