It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Real-Life 'Gravity' Images Will Blow You Away (PICTURES).

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is it, and this is the thing, while we can look at these pictures of awe and frankly rather fragile beauty, thanks to a few brave souls who are already 'up there', on Earth we are making a mess in wars and conflict of rather dubious at times interests..another kind of clever. I know what pictures I like to look at, and by looking I know what is really brave. Thanks to all for the replies.
edit on 2-3-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

smurfy
A new series of breathtaking ISS pictures from the outside.

This one of Bruce McCandless...quite a distance from the ISS, look, no strings. More pictures from the Huffington post at the link.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Is it just me or did anyone else think with the held misconception that astronauts were always tethered during spacewalks. After watching gravity recently and seeing Mr Clooney flying around without one i had forgotten to look up if it was actually real. This picture i guess has certainly answered that question. Its amazing to think the kind of fear that you would have to numb inside of you and to posses such confidence as to be up in outer space free from any tethers and just roam around the place. Brave men indeed.

edit on 2-3-2014 by soul44 because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadGhost

I love that pic.I'm using it as my desktop background.Awesome...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Good lord the clarity of those images are freaky...stunning

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Amazing. We have a beautiful home.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

soul44

Is it just me or did anyone else think with the held misconception that astronauts were always tethered during spacewalks. After watching gravity recently and seeing Mr Clooney flying around without one i had forgotten to look up if it was actually real. This picture i guess has certainly answered that question. Its amazing to think the kind of fear that you would have to numb inside of you and to posses such confidence as to be up in outer space free from any tethers and just roam around the place. Brave men indeed.

edit on 2-3-2014 by soul44 because: typo

If ever you are in Ireland, visit the Armagh planetarium. They have a 3D show outside of the ISS, Shuttle and you are the working astronaut, it's quite something, in fact for some it is scary.

www.discovernorthernireland.com...
edit on 3-3-2014 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

rival
That first photo needs a caption with an arrow that reads:

YOU ARE HERE!

...i'd give a star, three kudos, a high five, and a fifty percent
discount coupon to Ling's House of Chinese to anyone who would
make on for

Here you go!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I WISH I was there!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

soul44

This untethered flight was a one-off. The spacewalkers are tethered almost all the time, or using foot restraints, or their hands to grab onto the hand rails. In the photo, you see the mobility unit, which isn't being used for regular spacewalks. Instead, their suits have a small propulsion pack in case of emergency. I never heard of a time when anyone had to use it.

So the footage of Clooney flying around (and using up precious propellant) is ficticious.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

smurfy
A new series of breathtaking ISS pictures from the outside.

This one of Bruce McCandless...quite a distance from the ISS, look, no strings. More pictures from the Huffington post at the link.

This was taken in 1984; well before the ISS.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

JackSparrow17

This was taken in 1984; well before the ISS.

I know, but I lost my connection for a couple of hours right after making the first post, (I mentioned that somewhere) too late to correct the error. We, or at least me in this part of the world, don't get a four hour window to make changes, it's more like an hour-hour and a half. By that time, people would have seen the pictures at the huffington Post with the headings.

BTW, a link to the Flickr mobile album, It nay take a while to load.

www.flickr.com...
edit on 4-3-2014 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Gotcha.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

You would have to check date of pictures but it is probably one of the over thirty-five meteorites that have hit over the past few days alone. We are going through a comet debris field in may. The time fame seems to be fluxing and changing but you have to depend on amateur because nasa saying nothing.

Few days ago there was big blast on sun, it was huge and an object flew past the earth captured on satellites watching sun. They said nothing lol.

Nice pics, what a jewel earth is.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JackSparrow17

He is irish, got to give him a pass. That ale makes you little silly you know lol.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

dlbott
reply to post by JackSparrow17

He is irish, got to give him a pass. That ale makes you little silly you know lol.

The Bot

Yup, I see that in your reply to HomerinNC... I like the whisky meself, a lot of English people do.

edit on 4-3-2014 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Saint Exupery
reply to post by smurfy

I WISH I was there!

So do I, but I would need all the gear to stay connected, would I what! McCandless is one brave man.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Oh how tiny we seem....

Then I think about the scales of size for known stars and those stars likely have planets too. All things in balance and scale, I'm betting. It's mind boggling. He kinda looks like a child moving from the crib to the first tentative moves out into the world for a peak.

Great Pics and Share!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Oh how tiny we seem....

Then I think about the scales of size for known stars and those stars likely have planets too. All things in balance and scale, I'm betting. It's mind boggling. He kinda looks like a child moving from the crib to the first tentative moves out into the world for a peak.

Great Pics and Share!

I know what you say, is it any wonder then why people so often make synoptic comparisons between the universe out there and the inner universe of us. McCandless could be a neuron of the universal body for all I know, while somewhere out there, there are other McCandless neurons all excited and the need to be purposeful.
You have it right.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

onebigmonkey

HomerinNC

What's that in the upper center.????
edit on 3/2/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

Lens flare - if you download it and zoom in you can see it better.

Lens flare? Doesn't look like it....

See that hole in the center?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The McCandless EVA was on STS-41-B (aka STS-10). During the first part of the flight, the Shuttle launched 2 satellites (WESTAR VI & PALAPA-2B). As it turned-out, both of the rocket motors that were supposed to boost these satellites into geosynchronous orbit failed (identical units with identical flaws). At any rate, with the cargo bay clear, Bruce McCandless & Robert Stuart conducted their EVA

Video from the STS-41-B post-flight press conference:

The EVA was to test procedures for the next mission STS-41-C (aka STS-11), which was to rendezvous & repair a broken science satellite called the Solar Maximum Mission. At 8 minutes into the above video you can see McCandless testing the docking mechanism by which the MMU would latch onto Solar Max and bring it into the Shuttle bay. The latch was automatic - once the pin got far enough into the hole, it would trigger the spring-loaded lock.

During the actual mission, it didn't work. The satellite was built with a wire running past the base of the pin, under the insulation. By just a fraction of an inch, the docking mechanism couldn't get quite onto the pin far enough to trigger the latch, and (much to everyone's embarrassment) the latch wasn't built with a manual-backup trigger! The astronaut returned to the Shuttle. The next day, with an extremely deft & tricky move, the Shuttle was able to snag the now-tumbling Solar Max with the robot arm and bring it into the bay for repair.

Video from the STS-41-C post-flight press conference:

The MMU redeemed itself on mission STS-51-A (aka STS-14), when they were able to retrieve both the WESTAR VI & PALAPA-2B satellites that had failed earlier:

Very cool video of the satellite rescue:

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join