It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bands that transcend eras

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I may have posted something like this before but I don't think so.

Anyway I got in this discussion with a good friend, bands that transcend era's, generations, ages. By that we meant that peopled loved them when they came out, people listen to them now and feel the same joy and some young kid in 20 years will put on that band and get it then. We wanted to use bands that had or have long expansive careers , multiple albums that are timeless and a unique sound.

Right now our list consists of the following, not in any order:

Queen
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
U2
The Cure
Led Zepplin
The Who
Jimi Hendrix (obviously he died young but we put him on this list just based off his version of All Along the Watchtower as we could imagine a kid in 100 years hearing that song and feeling something

Who else should be on that list?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

opethPA
we could imagine a kid in 100 years hearing that song and feeling something

That could be just about anything.

If we're only naming classic rock:

Allman Brothers
America
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
CCR
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead
Jimi Hendrix
Led zeppelin
Lynard Skynard
Neil Young
Pink Floyd
Rush
The Doors
The Eagles
The Rolling Stones

That's about 1/2 of my short list from a quick glance.

Newer Music:

Alice In Chains
Bush
Daft Punk
Muse
Nirvana
Oasis
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Sublime
The Cure
The Smashing Pumpkins
Tool

It's hard for me to exclude so much stuff that isn't mainstream. It wouldn't help the thread to name something that 0.5% of people have heard

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

RUSH
That's just me, but I think that they should last a long time .
Your choices are all correct in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

The Doors.

edit on 2-3-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

You are also forgetting The Animals.en.wikipedia.org...
They bridged the gap into modern rock , but also transended it in many ways, but ya I guess that they do not really have the huge body of work that your going for here (its a good topic tho)

edit on 2-3-2014 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Aerosmith
GFR"Grand funk railroad"
CCR"Creedance clear water revival"
Judas priest
Lynard Skynard
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
GNR

edit on 2-3-2014 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Steely Dan
Jefferson Airplane

Bo Diddly
Janis Joplin

James Brown
Stepenwolf

and how could you forget Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis

edit on 2-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The Moody Blues one of favorites!
Charlie Daniels band
Chicago
edit on 2-3-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The Beach Boys
The Temptations
The Rolling Stones
Electric Light Orchestra
Earth, Wind and Fire

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

great list....although not sure about the Cure.

My additions:

Bob Dylan
David Bowie
Boz Skaggs
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young

The Rolling Stones
Yes

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Metallica anyone?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Oh definitely AC/DC.

Take, "It's a Long Way to the Top (if you wanna rock'n roll)". It was released in 1975...I was a kid. Now nearly 40 years later...it's still edgy and rock! (Bagpipes....it's got freakin' bagpipes!!)

Also Black Sabbath!!

jacygirl

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Skinny Puppy! They pressed their first vinyl in 1978. A very prolific band, and lyrically they are as valid then as they were 2 decades ago. I also noticed no one has yet mentioned THE RAMONES!

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

opethPA

Jimi Hendrix (obviously he died young but we put him on this list just based off his version of All Along the Watchtower as we could imagine a kid in 100 years hearing that song and feeling something

Did you really mean to say that you put Jimi on this list strictly for that? That one song. Just that one cover song and no other reason, was why you put him on this list?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

StarlightNine

opethPA

Did you really mean to say that you put Jimi on this list strictly for that? That one song. Just that one cover song and no other reason, was why you put him on this list?

Hendrix is included because he was and still is the iconic guitar player, copied, revered and even worshiped for his mastery of the guitar. He set the stage for today's contemporary rock.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

olaru12

StarlightNine

opethPA

Hendrix is included because he was and still is the iconic guitar player, copied, revered and even worshiped for his mastery of the guitar. He set the stage for today's contemporary rock.

Indeed. And therefore, my confusion in why the post was worded to say that he is included strictly for that one song. Albeit, his own vision of it--which Dylan himself says he adores. However, his own creative body of work should be the reason he is included on that list, not solely for "one song" and that is what caused me to comment at all.
In saying that, his nature wasn't to be 'worshipped.' So though I know Americans do that, they truly shouldn't. 'Getting it' would be more along the lines of how he would more than likely want people to view his work. The way it was worded, was what caused me to question.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Bo Diddley may have done more by the strings than Jimi, imho Bo could shred far better than Jimi. And I like Jimi

and maybe even BB King, Chuck Berry too
edit on 2-3-2014 by HanzHenry because: bb

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
AC/DC
INXS
The Chemical Brothers
Midnight Oil
Crowded House

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I had the good fortune to meet Bo when his career had tanked and he was making a living working on cars in New Mexico.
And his iconic "shave and a haircut" rhythm lick is a staple in all guitar players arsenal.

Thankfully his comeback was a resounding success.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
uhhhh....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join