It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP created gay marriage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In my humble opinion, gay marriage was created by conservatives.

I'm 32 and remember a time ,not very long ago, When the LGBT community's would have have killed for civil unions. We have all watched gay rights go warp speed! Some think it's the beginning of the end of discrimination. Some think it's the beginning of the apocalypse.

What would have happened if 20 years ago the conservatives had been willing to vote for civil unions? If back then the GOP and been cool with "equal but separate. ". Would yall still be fighting the gay marriage lobby? Or would the lgbt's have created there own institution legally equal with marriage but some thing gays and lesbians could make there own.

So in my opinion, conservatives brought it on themselves by being stubborn and history will remember.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
What you resist persists.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well the argument here in the UK that I really got behind was that the government has no right to tell gay people they couldn't get married in church. Surely itcs a matter of religious freedom.
My church is willing to marry us, but the government says no, is a ridiculous circumstance.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This presumes that the issue is about gay marriage in the first place. For some people, it will never be enough. Look at the Civil Rights fight. Now, we can't talk about black holes or chocolate or brown bag lunches. Those things are racist.

Never enough. You could have had those things then, and it would not have been enough.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

GOP created gay marriage.

Well that's a good thing for the GOP then isn't it?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The gop did not create gay marriages, but did give it free advertisment.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
For the GOP to support gay marriage you would have to go back at least 50 or 60 years. The GOP 20 years ago was not much different than they are now because many of the top GOP candidates back then are still in office now.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The GOP needs issues. Republicans will latch on to any lame issue to pander to the Christian Right wing that pulls the RNC's strings and brow beats any steering committee into single issue territory.
As the conservative GOP moderate base slips away; they have nothing left except abortion, gay rights and psychotic hatred of the left to rally the faithful.

I doubt if it's enough to win any big national races. With the Conservatives splintered and fractured among the t party, gop faithful and the Independents and Libertarians; it will prove difficult to mount any effective campaign for much of anything.

It's going to take a lot more than "we're not Obama"

As a one time Goldwater republican, I watched the GOP chew off it's own arm.....the thinking moderates.

The Republicans have degenerated into the minority party and more than comfortable with the crybaby whining of the radio conservatives. It's past time for the GOP to man up, take responsibility for past mistakes and actually come up with a platform that might appeal to the American working man.

The GOP didn't create gay marriage but they tried to make it an issue and it blew up in their faces. Most people don't care.

www.pewresearch.org...
edit on 2-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
As a card carrying member of the evil GOP, have been for my entire life, I will gladly take credit for creating gay marriage. No issue there.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
arrrrgh....
edit on 2-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

(post by olaru12 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In an odd way, you may be right. The hardcore right wingers made such a mockery of themselves on this issue. Comparing incest, beastiality, polygamy and other heinous things to gay marriage. Arguments that made them look like zany, inarticulate and so far out of context to civil rights that people shied away from them. Who wants to be associated with people who can't have a civil and cogent discourse? The went bat trap crazy over this. I wouldn't want a leader that refuses to use logic and uses divisive social issues as a means to win a seat in politics. Its old, its stale and we want to confront other important issues like our economy, jobs, our ever eroding constitutional rights, the police state, corporate corruption, etc. People have woken up and know they use diversion tactics because they are not bright enough to come up with solutions to what else truly ails our country. Thank you extremist GOPers for expediting the civil rights of the LGBT folks.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

The G.O.P. didn't create gay marriage that is just silly.

Homosexuals created gay marriage. Without homosexuals there would be no gay marriage.

I.M.H.O. We need to stop blaming people for everything.

Let the gays be gay.

Let the blacks be black.

Let the Hispanics be Hispanic.

Let the Christians be Christians.

People need to just leave people alone. Let them have whatever life style they choose. Let them be who they were born to be.

Just don't infringe upon my right to be who I want to be and I won't infringe upon your right to be who you want to be.

The real enemy is any government telling us how to behave. Passing laws forbidding our right to freedom of choice

Telling us how to behave and locking us up if we don't follow the rules that they created. The more people raise their voices

the more laws imposed. Slowly stripping away at whatever rights we have. Where does it end?

The idea of the G.O.P. blaming the Dems and the Dems blaming the G.O.P. is delusional. We elected these idiots

regardless we are all to blame. Question is how do we tame the beast that we created!
edit on 2-3-2014 by Diisenchanted because: edit to add

edit on 2-3-2014 by Diisenchanted because: spelling error

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

I always thought the whole thing was hypocritical and silly since marriage is kind an ancient, square tradition anyway. Not too "progressive" to want to be married.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Why did GOP create gay marriage?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Not all change comes easily.

Some things are a huge social taboo, as is the case with Gay marriage

but

Christopher Colombus proved everyone wrong when he didn't sail off the edge of the 'flat' earth. Gay people will prove the naysayers wrong when it doesn't spell the end of the civilised world.

And one day people will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about over gay unions. Pockets of reistance will remain, but that is pure human nature.

So don't go blaming political parties and factions. The power to make a change on this sort of thing starts with every individual in their own hearts.
edit on 3-3-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Clearly, some posters here are clueless and repeating the same question...

GOP created Gay Marriage(not in a literal sense) by going against it.

If 30-40 yrs ago, they said "hmm okay" to gay marriages.. it would not be this huge issue now.

As a member above stated...

What you resist persists.

GOP is nothing but a religious organization. Plain and Simple.

Just by saying the words "i believe in God", they will get about 30% vote instantly, even go far as invading other countries under the guise of "god told me to".
edit on 3/3/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

top topics

join