The New "Wow!" Signal - SETI's Recent Close Encounter With An Unidentified Emission

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Blacknight has always been a hot topic in DOD circles. Of course some sites know more than others. I can say from people I trust it is real and is still there. Despite attempts to try and retrieve. Apparently it is still active and some of the stories about it maybe true.

It is a fun subject around the bar on tdy. This was all as of a few years ago so not sure about now. I can say everyone will be surprised in the end at what the military has and can do. Then again, we may never be told lol.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The question about the radial velocity of the star from which the candidate SETI signal came, TYC 1220-91-1, seems a most relevant one. Without this we have the very real possibility that a random bit of terrestrial interference, one of thousands, eventually happened to fall near the 'magic frequency' of 4462.3 MHz.
Given the radial velocity we could confirm that the true frequency, as sent, was essentially identical to the hydrogen times PI magic frequency. The odds of that happening, due to random terrestrial interference, seems very low, and would appear to very much strengthen the true SETI signal hypothesis.
From what I read, determining the radial velocity of a star doesn't seem to be particularly difficult, given the necessary specialized knowledge and access to professional grade equipment. It seems more a problem of taking the trouble to observe the light of this one, obscure star, out of a million or so, at or above its level of brightness, via the spectroscope.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
some huge spacecraft have been detected so why couldn't these signals be coming from them? I read the bit about engines sending out large pulses of energy, and these craft could be miles across. So in fact we could be picking up the signal signatures when they go super luminal or into hyperspeed or whatever they do. Just because there is a star in the area of the signal does not mean that the signal was that far away, does it? Can originating distance be accurately determined with Doppler shift?

I read a paper once which suggested that many of the distance measurements are done using a form of estimation based on 'known' distances of other stars because the full calculation is complicated and takes a while to do. I think the point was made that these 'known' distances are based on estimated calculations and so compound the errors of 'known' star distances.

Crowd funding could provide a way for a bunch of people to buy and set up a dedicated receiving system (discussed at the start of the thread)
edit on 7 Mar 2014 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Doppler shift data can not directly tell us the distance to a signal source. A radio signal emitted by an interstellar space vessel traveling at a substantial fraction of the speed of light would be shifted upward in frequency, on approach, or downward, on departure far more than a signal from any planet we would be at all likely to detect.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Greys already gave you humans designs for their own listening device.

Why does your species persist in using .. oh yeah Money..

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-3-2014 by Gestas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
My Friend, I know that wow signal. Stephen William Hawkings told that the wow signal is came from aliens. WOW Signal

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join