It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t drink the water: Translated travel tips for coming to America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This article is a fairly amusing read from an American viewpoint. I was going to put this in the Chit Chat forum, but since it is advice and opinions from others who visit the U.S., I figured that it would be best to put it here. I did look around the forums/threads and did quite a few searches and was amazed that it hadn't been posted.

travel.yahoo.com...

This comment was funny IMO;

From Australia: Did we mention the violence of U.S. toilets? “A veritable swimming pool of water greets you when you open the toilet lid and when you flush, it all goes down the drain in a huge rotating whirlpool.”

I traveled a lot until recently, most times as a tourist seeking adventure. I never took the tourist packages though. I wanted to see people for who they are and them me. I always came away from my travels with a pretty good vibe.

The first time I went to Europe, I really learned a lot. Such as in Germany, it was not considered rude to cut in line in many cases while waiting to order a popsicle at the Schwimmbad. And I was told not to tip, though I'm sure the waiters/waitress never minded it.

I've always tried to fit in wherever I went, though it is impossible sometimes. But I can at least try to leave others with a favorable impression.

Please don't turn this into another country bashing/political thread though. We are all individuals with our own thoughts.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

The violence of US toilets? Hahahahahahahaha! OMG that cracked me up!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
After reading that article I was proud to be an American...

No urinating on the street, lol

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Love the article! My daughter has a Russian exchange student staying with her, a lovely girl. She said her first impression of America was how people are "always" smiling. Her other impression is how fantastic our food is, she arrived model skin and bones and is now a healthy looking girl, 20 lbs.

I am always fascinated by what other countries think of Americans since I have traveled the world. I had Koreans tell me once that American's smell like cows.

edit on 2-3-2014 by grandmakdw because: spelling

edit on 2-3-2014 by grandmakdw because: oh my spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Did this come in from an Aussie?

...Nobody is impressed by how much you can drink.“In the U.S., they do not have a sense of pride if they drink a large amount. Rather, if you drink a lot, there is a sense that you cannot manage yourself, and you can lose respect from those around you...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
California water is the worst...I went to Disneyland and got horribly sick...sicker than I've ever been in my life! Just from drinking the water.

Or maybe it was the repetition of "It's a small world" over and over...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It is interesting how other cultures see our country.

I didn't understand where some of the comments came though.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I've had numerous friends come over to Australia from the US and Canada expecting to see the water in the toilet going the other way round. When they get here it's just disappointing to see it just kind of flush in some great gurgle and rush with no clockwise or counter clockwise motion.

The one thing that gets me outside of Australia is the lack of dual flush toilets. Most places either just have a button or a chain.

For those who have never seen or heard of this, for years we have had a half flush and full flush function on our toilets.

This made me laugh though;

Nobody is impressed by how much you can drink.“In the U.S., they do not have a sense of pride if they drink a large amount. Rather, if you drink a lot, there is a sense that you cannot manage yourself, and you can lose respect from those around you. Being drunk doesn't excuse your actions, and to drink alcohol habitually is a sign of alcoholism. Alcoholics are seen as mentally weak, and are ostracized by society due to their inability to have self control."

I would have thought having a few (or a few too many) with one's mates would be a source of pride no matter the country....

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

LOL, Violent Toilets? I love it. I am guessing that they have lower flow toilets in Australia.

new topics

top topics

join