It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Who Won the Lottery?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Imagine being $44,000 in debt, only having 78 cents in your savings account, and taking the only Dollar you have to buy a lottery ticket and end up winning. A story like this would make for great fiction, yet it is 100% true. 49 year old parking attendant Juan Rodriguez is now the sole winner of the New York Mega Millions lottery and will now be able to add $88,500,000 to his 78 cent savings account.

MSNBC.com Full Article

NEW YORK - With just 78 cents in his savings account and $44,000 owed to creditors, parking attendant Juan Rodriguez plunked down $1 on a lottery ticket.

Good thing he wasnt pinching pennies: He won the $88.5 million jackpot.

Rodriguez, 49, of Queens, bought his New York state Mega Millions lottery ticket about one month after filing for bankruptcy.

He stepped forward over the weekend to claim his prize, proving to be a man of many dollars but few words. At a news conference, he wore dark glasses and said he was excited. Asked what he planned to do with his millions, he said, I have no idea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Rodriguez opted for the "lump-sum payment of $88.5 million instead of 26 annual installments that would have totaled $149 million."

I had to post this, sometimes its really nice to see someone who really, REALLY needs it win.

And he only bought one ticket!

What would you do with $88.5 Million?

In case you miss it.. Here he is with his wife..

I am sure these two are going shopping very soon!

After they pay off a few bills.

I'd say best of luck to them.. but why bother?

[edit on 23-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Another pact with the devil?

Wonder what his demise will be? OUCH!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is great!!! And I am very happy for that guy.

Btw.. Before clicking on this thread I thought that some ATS member won it..

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I would buy ATS a server farm. Hell, I'd buy them an entire secure site with redundant T3s. I'd definitely hire staff so SO can enjoy the fruits of his (and others') labor.

Next I would throw the largest ATS party ever and throw a few millions towards Simon so he makes an appearance. I think I might even be able to afford flying him and his family first class. Shoot, maybe I'd even bring the Concorde out of retirement for his flights.

Of course I'd pay off my house, retire, go to medical school, donate to charity, buy a bigger boat, set up school funds for all children in my extended family (both sides).

And I'd definitely buy a few cases of Crown Royal Reserve.

And yes, it is really nice to see someone who could use it win. Hopefully he has someone he can trust to advise him. Maybe I should call and introduce myself?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ever since that millionaire down in West Virginia (i think) won it, I felt there was no cosmic justice. How wonderful that someone truly needing of the money won it.

Although you have to wonder what someone so broke was doing playing the lottery to begin with, eh?

WTG Mr Rodriguez

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Good for him. What an incredibly lucky person!

I would give every member a new state of the art puter will all the bells and whistles on ATS.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is almost as good as the stroy of the guy in Florida who walked out of Jail bought a ticket and won something like $180 Million in cash. When is my turn up?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Good for him. What an incredibly lucky person!

I would give every member a new state of the art puter will all the bells and whistles on ATS.

What would you do with the other $82 million then? Can I have two computers?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You know what's annoying??

When you win the lottery, suddenly everybody is your relative or friend.
This guy you've never seen before knocks at your door.. When you open it, the guy says: "Heeeey buddy ol' pal, remember me??? Two years and 14 days ago we were in the same subway. We looked at each other for two seconds!!! "
Or "My wife is your first cousin's second cousin...... We're related!!!"

When my mom's godmother won the lottery years ago, there were more than one hundred people standing in front of her door asking for money.

Btw, no one in my family was standing in front of her door.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll try hard not to get my picture and my name in the newspaper. I mean, of course I will share the wealth and support other people, but that will come from my part and out of my own decisions. Don't try to force me into it for your selfish reasons.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
You know we've had so much bad news these days I hope you don't mind me posting some good news for a change.

I can't imagine what it feels like for this person.. but the story was too amazing to pass up.

Good for him!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian

Originally posted by dgtempe

What would you do with the other $82 million then? Can I have two computers?
Take it easy, what am I, a millionaire?????

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe there are fools that play the lottery... However this guy only spent one dollar... Think of the odds.. Can you call him a fool?

Perhaps.. But he won!

Don't be so down on it... If we are going to have such a thing.. It is sure good to see someone like this win.

There are some out there who go way too far with this lottery stuff.. I read once where a man spent his life savings on tickets... about $55,000 if I remember correct... He lost it all.

The lottery may be for fools... But in this case you can say for sure the guy who won is one very happy fool.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Moved to original report.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Is it just me or does he resemble Richard Petty?

[edit on 11/23/2004 by titian]

LL1

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Now that's luck, hope he manages it well.

kix

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I work for the national lottery in Mexico (as a service provider)

let me say some things:

First CONGRATULATIONS.........ENJOY...

Second I wonder how a pennyless person can be 44 thosand in the RED are their creditors mad???
I really cant believe it..... anyways good that now he can go out of debt and buy as much as 88 million can..

First mistake accepting the whole ammount....people with no money or no prevoius money management will make even bigger mistakes with larger ammounts.
He will be molested by everyone trying to get some $$$$.
HE could have taken the prize in installments and make a will, that if he dies before the time to collect the money goes to some fund for charities.

I hope I am wrong but in my experience and my work I have seen it all and even winner killed by relatives for the $$$$ inherited...

I really hope I am wrong

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
As a lottery winner myself I know it can seem daunting at first, hel it can seem like the end of the world when you thought all your dreams had come true. But bear in mind, if he has just ONE great day that he would never have had before the win,it was worth it. Let me tell you, money don't bring anything but opportunity. There is no extra love, luck,happiness. Just a doorway to open up to what you want. I am sick and tired of hearing about lotto winners complain thier lives are worse, easy give it away, give it to charity.I did that with nearly half of my money only because I was doing the same thing for causes I beleived in when I had nothing. Money is not good, or bad, or evil,but people with or people who know people with it can be.
Enjoy it befor eit goes or before you die, is what one advisor told me.I have done plenty of spending in the enjoyment part of it. If I woke up pennyless tomorrow, I would still have my wife and family and boy some memories to boot.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
This is great!!! And I am very happy for that guy.

Btw.. Before clicking on this thread I thought that some ATS member won it..

Same here, I thought some ATSian (wow...new word) won the lottery and came here to brag about it. Guess not.

Surf

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I am happy for the guy,

at least someone has good luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join