It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online gaming advice needed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I suggest you find a game you enjoy then join that games forums, there you will find lots for people to add to your friends list, I play PS3 and PS4 myself and have amased around 60 friends since joining psn in 2008 that way.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

aLLeKs
hehe for me it is the same, 0 people on my friends list and when I tried WOW or GW I lost interested after playing alone.
I am really communicative and not shy in reallife, but socially awkward when it come to online games.
I only play league of legends and only alone or with my real life friends.
Basically I just dont want to play with people online that I dont know personally since it feels totally strange for me

EXACTLY! It just feels strange to me. It is infuriating when someone talks smack to or about me and I can't simply look them in the face and say, "What the hell did you just say to me?" lol

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

NeoSpace
I suggest you find a game you enjoy then join that games forums, there you will find lots for people to add to your friends list, I play PS3 and PS4 myself and have amased around 60 friends since joining psn in 2008 that way.

Great advice, thank you NeoSpace. I will do that.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Holographicmeat
That is AWFUL news that you did the beta and it wasn't great. Everyone else I have talked to loved it. Truth is I wouldn't know an terrible mmo from an amazing one. I will remain hopeful on this one, although your 1300 hours of Skyrim experience does give you alot more credit as an expert on the whole thing. So, immediately find a small guild of people and leave if it gets more than 30 members. Got it. Thank you.

I wanted to like it...I guess I sort of knew however it was unlikely considering how polished and good the singleplayer games by Bethesda/zenimax are. Its a goodish game if you love mmo's, don't care for graphics much, and erm....honestly I don't know why people say its great...its..ok...ish.
incidentally, you know you can stick a controller (xbox) into your pc and use that, right?

I do understand some people simply want the no fuss aspect of consoles though. sit back on the couch and etc...casual gamers. Well, I still recommend focusing more on multiplayer games and avoiding mmo's overall...but yeah. find a guild if going mmo...with guilds: you will have fun. without..you will end up playing a sub-par game and get bored rapidly.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

SaturnFX

Holographicmeat
That is AWFUL news that you did the beta and it wasn't great. Everyone else I have talked to loved it. Truth is I wouldn't know an terrible mmo from an amazing one. I will remain hopeful on this one, although your 1300 hours of Skyrim experience does give you alot more credit as an expert on the whole thing. So, immediately find a small guild of people and leave if it gets more than 30 members. Got it. Thank you.

I wanted to like it...I guess I sort of knew however it was unlikely considering how polished and good the singleplayer games by Bethesda/zenimax are. Its a goodish game if you love mmo's, don't care for graphics much, and erm....honestly I don't know why people say its great...its..ok...ish.
incidentally, you know you can stick a controller (xbox) into your pc and use that, right?

I do understand some people simply want the no fuss aspect of consoles though. sit back on the couch and etc...casual gamers. Well, I still recommend focusing more on multiplayer games and avoiding mmo's overall...but yeah. find a guild if going mmo...with guilds: you will have fun. without..you will end up playing a sub-par game and get bored rapidly.

Actually, after talking with you and a few other people......I may have changed my mind. IDK. I was envisioning kind of a Morrowind/Skyrim type game but with real people running around with you. I think I may have had a misconception about what it actually is. Am I way off base lol?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
people are evil, especially online, and even more so while playing video games. So if you feel like it's necessary to play online video games, don't get mad at anyone in the game. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Jarring
people are evil, especially online, and even more so while playing video games. So if you feel like it's necessary to play online video games, don't get mad at anyone in the game. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I don't feel it necessary. The opposite actually. I don't get social gaming in general. I have always used it to isolate myself from people, especially after having to deal with all these donkeyholes out there everyday. It allows me a little while everyday where I can just forget about them and the constant drama. Clear my head. That was really the point of this thread. It is just THIS ONE game (ESO) that I was hopeful for because I love Elder Scrolls so much and wanted some input from people that like these online/mmo/multiplayer kind of games so I could make it as enjoyable an experience as possible. Tips on avoiding the shartarshes, ect.
edit on 332014 by Holographicmeat because: added

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Holographicmeat

well, i'm sure you will be able to solo in the game. but i doubt you will be able to have access everything. i'm sure a big portion of the game will be for parties of players doing the same quest, and difficult if not impossible for someone to solo it.

if you find you want to play in these parties, i'd suggest looking real hard for the right guild/clan for you. the right guild can be your savior from all the other players you're wanting to avoid.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Jarring

well, i'm sure you will be able to solo in the game. but i doubt you will be able to have access everything. i'm sure a big portion of the game will be for parties of players doing the same quest, and difficult if not impossible for someone to solo it.

if you find you want to play in these parties, i'd suggest looking real hard for the right guild/clan for you. the right guild can be your savior from all the other players you're wanting to avoid.

From what I am getting from everyone here, immediately join a guild once I start playing. A small one to keep it personal. Look in the game forums ahead of time to find like minded players. Correct?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Holographicmeat

Jarring

From what I am getting from everyone here, immediately join a guild once I start playing. A small one to keep it personal. Look in the game forums ahead of time to find like minded players. Correct?

forums could be a great place to start for looking for your guild.. if i were you though, i would probably jump around guilds.. or wait for the right one.. you could be missing out on opportunities to play with players closer to your level and/or mind by sticking to the same old one..

small ones can be a lot of fun, especially if most of the people in it are close to your level and play it religiously at the same time as you.
otherwise, they can be a complete waste of time.

a larger, more respected guild may be more useful. however, a lot of people end up having to dedicate their lives to the guild, so it stops being fun, and becomes workplace.

i wouldn't pass up a larger guild though, most of them don't require dedication. It's just that some advanced parts of mmos are only conquered by the dedication of a large group of people.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Jarring

Holographicmeat

Jarring

forums could be a great place to start for looking for your guild.. if i were you though, i would probably jump around guilds.. or wait for the right one.. you could be missing out on opportunities to play with players closer to your level and/or mind by sticking to the same old one..

small ones can be a lot of fun, especially if most of the people in it are close to your level and play it religiously at the same time as you.
otherwise, they can be a complete waste of time.

a larger, more respected guild may be more useful. however, a lot of people end up having to dedicate their lives to the guild, so it stops being fun, and becomes workplace.

i wouldn't pass up a larger guild though, most of them don't require dedication. It's just that some advanced parts of mmos are only conquered by the dedication of a large group of people.

Cool cool. Thank you for your advice Jarring.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

np, i bet the community of elder scrolls online will be considerably more mature than most mmos, so you probably won't have it too tough comparatively. elder scrolls always appealed to a slightly older generation.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I just wanted to thank everyone for your input here. I know it probably is equivalent to teaching a 2 year old the alphabet and that 2 year old being a grown adult lol, that can be frustrating. I really appreciate all of your patience and advice. You have to crawl before you can walk. Cheers
edit on 332014 by Holographicmeat because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I have had some of the most fun and hilarious moments in my life on various online games, in the online world its a hit and miss thing concerning games and the people you meet. I even know and am friends with some dudes who's sole mission is to be the biggest duchebags they can be and completely mess and destroy peoples fragile egos in the online world, the type of dudes who would insult your mother and your cat if they thought it would give them a thrill, and give them an opportunity to teabag you in the game. And others are pretty cool and you wished they lived closer so you could go share a drink with them.

So ya there all kinds of people online the least worst being the annoying little kids, I even made one shut up once back in the original gears of war for the 360 years ago by saying if he does not shut his ass up I will find his IP address and track his ass down and put the beat down on him, just because he would not stop talking # and he had a screechy voice. The guy was really annoying and worse he just sucked at the game. Not like I was going to waste my time doing that, but you know most of them are idiots and just there to annoy the hell out of people, you got to roll with the punches and have thick skin. That or just avoid them all together. They can talk all they want, but you do have a mute option in most games.

To tell the truth I am pretty much right now done with online games, all MMO's I played in the past years just do not interest me that much, and while The Elder Scrolls Online looks promising I probably would not get into it. To tell the truth nothing holds my attention all that much anymore and there are very few games I am looking forward to, none of them so far are online games, some are cooperative online games and I like those better then most strictly online games like MMO's, I tried WOW back when it came out and could not stand the game either, it just seemed lame to me. But everybody has there thing, so cant really tell you what to play. Even the newer games like Skyrim which everyone liked did not hold my attention all the way to the end of the game, there was a time when I would beat the game and try to get everything and do everything in it, now a days I just beat it as fast as I can, and lob it in the closet.

To tell the truth bro, everybody is sort of stuck in there own niche so the people who like the elder scroll games will buy the new MMO even if it sucks. I know I bought the newest castelevania game even thought its not really all that great just because I used to play the old castlevania games back when I was a kid and loved it, more for the nostalgic feeling then anything else. So ya, this is coming from a pretty antisocial person, online games can be loads of fun, but if you dont have thick skin or take things to serious your not gonna like it.

The only games now a days I am looking forward to are more single player experience ones with a bit of co op thrown in, games like dark souls 2, or the new infamous coming out, or the new Witcher game which is supposed to come out in some months time, or Watch Dogs, so if you have a PS4 like you said or the newer systems there are actually a bunch of game coming out in the next few months, more then enough to keep most people busy for a while.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

galadofwarthethird

I have had some of the most fun and hilarious moments in my life on various online games, in the online world its a hit and miss thing concerning games and the people you meet. I even know and am friends with some dudes who's sole mission is to be the biggest duchebags they can be and completely mess and destroy peoples fragile egos in the online world, the type of dudes who would insult your mother and your cat if they thought it would give them a thrill, and give them an opportunity to teabag you in the game. And others are pretty cool and you wished they lived closer so you could go share a drink with them.

So ya there all kinds of people online the least worst being the annoying little kids, I even made one shut up once back in the original gears of war for the 360 years ago by saying if he does not shut his ass up I will find his IP address and track his ass down and put the beat down on him, just because he would not stop talking # and he had a screechy voice. The guy was really annoying and worse he just sucked at the game. Not like I was going to waste my time doing that, but you know most of them are idiots and just there to annoy the hell out of people, you got to roll with the punches and have thick skin. That or just avoid them all together. They can talk all they want, but you do have a mute option in most games.

To tell the truth I am pretty much right now done with online games, all MMO's I played in the past years just do not interest me that much, and while The Elder Scrolls Online looks promising I probably would not get into it. To tell the truth nothing holds my attention all that much anymore and there are very few games I am looking forward to, none of them so far are online games, some are cooperative online games and I like those better then most strictly online games like MMO's, I tried WOW back when it came out and could not stand the game either, it just seemed lame to me. But everybody has there thing, so cant really tell you what to play. Even the newer games like Skyrim which everyone liked did not hold my attention all the way to the end of the game, there was a time when I would beat the game and try to get everything and do everything in it, now a days I just beat it as fast as I can, and lob it in the closet.

To tell the truth bro, everybody is sort of stuck in there own niche so the people who like the elder scroll games will buy the new MMO even if it sucks. I know I bought the newest castelevania game even thought its not really all that great just because I used to play the old castlevania games back when I was a kid and loved it, more for the nostalgic feeling then anything else. So ya, this is coming from a pretty antisocial person, online games can be loads of fun, but if you dont have thick skin or take things to serious your not gonna like it.

The only games now a days I am looking forward to are more single player experience ones with a bit of co op thrown in, games like dark souls 2, or the new infamous coming out, or the new Witcher game which is supposed to come out in some months time, or Watch Dogs, so if you have a PS4 like you said or the newer systems there are actually a bunch of game coming out in the next few months, more then enough to keep most people busy for a while.

Infamous Second Son......Yes. The Witcher 3.....Yes. I really hope they decide to release Dark Souls 2 and South Park: The Stick Of Truth on PS4. Dark Souls was incredible, until some jackhole would randomly pop up and slaughter me. I had to keep that one offline too lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Oh I am looking forward to Dark Souls 2, in fact I was one of the few people back when nobody even heard of the first game Demons Souls that played it. There was barely anybody who bought that game, none of my friends knew about it till I told them to get it, and got them hooked. I knew even then it was going to be bigger then it was then and if they had the backup and technical power some main games have that it was going to be extremely popular. Seems it took off now. So cant wait for Dark Souls 2, they even improved the invasion and co-op play, you can actually chat with players now and they redid the invasions into other players worlds as well, so it should be more fun and interesting on the PVP side. And since the game is coming out next week its going to be a blast.

I really hope they decide to release Dark Souls 2 and South Park: The Stick Of Truth on PS4.

Not sure about the south park game. But I think they are making another souls game for the ps4 as we speak. Its supposed to be the follow up or along the lines and story of the original demon souls game I heard. Basically think Dark Souls now only with a new generation game engine and everything, it wont be out for a while yet years maybe. But it should be awesome when it does come out. The current game engine there using on Dark Souls is improved, in fact its new compared to the old engine the first two games were on, but its still the old engines they had for years on the PS3. If you think of something that would look at least in graphics department along the lines of the Witcher 3 and try to apply it to dark souls, i think it would be something like that. Its all speculation and rumor at this point, but seeing as the original and part 2 is selling like hot cakes, they would be practically shooting themselfs in the foot not to do a new and improved souls game for the new much more powerful systems somewhere down the line.

Dark Souls was incredible, until some jackhole would randomly pop up and slaughter me. I had to keep that one offline too lol.

The first game was a bit harder and you had more random phantoms or phantom NPCs coming into you world. The games are nowhere near as hard as most people make them out to be. In fact there to easy, I heard that in the second Dark Souls you start out or they give you an option of burning an item into your bonfire which makes all the enemies harder. I dont know how it will work but hopefully since the game went mainstream wont be nerfing it like they do all games when they go mainstream.

The only real reason why people say its hard is just because there used to games were there practically invincibly and do not have to worry about things, so they run around without any worries attacking anything and everything they see. When they take that attitude to this game, well it just does not work as usually everything can kill you pretty fast and in a few hits. And part of the fun is getting invaded by other players, I mean the game has its surprises but it all adds up when you get a real life player suddenly invade your world somewhere and you dont know were, as well as the other baddies in the game world which can kill you at any time, it just ads to the suspense and fun of the overall game.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

galadofwarthethird

The games are nowhere near as hard as most people make them out to be.

With Dark Souls the only thing I thought was difficult was the damn giant skeletons in the dark. For some reason those gave me a bit of frustration.

edit on 332014 by Holographicmeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Holographicmeat

SaturnFX

Holographicmeat

Actually, after talking with you and a few other people......I may have changed my mind. IDK. I was envisioning kind of a Morrowind/Skyrim type game but with real people running around with you. I think I may have had a misconception about what it actually is. Am I way off base lol?

I would have loved it if that's what it was. but..
Well, its erm...not...not that completely.
ok, so, Skyrim is a grand opera...ESO is, a few people humming a opera in a subway..it is hints, flavors of kinda feel, but ultimately its a bunch of low graphic fetch and grind quests that much to my disappointment is no fun.
Its not bad..its good, but skyrim was great..awesome..so, ultimately for it to go from good to great for you, you probably have to already be a mmo lover with no concerns about money or value for dollar (with soo many titles out there in the mmo community, just holding the title of some major name is not enough to justify absurd charges).

But there may be one or two more open betas left to check out for PC. I recommend trying it. End of the day, its a game, and where I may simply shrug and move on, you may find it amazing and totally worth it...just best to do research in what is ultimately a hobby in itself (mmo's take commitment)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Oh the tomb of the giants? That's actually one of the first places I went to when I started the game for the first time and was low level. I only went half way in at the first bonfire were you meet patches the hyena, I knew who he was and what was going to happen because he was in the first game Demons Souls and he pulls the same trick on you. You know kicks you down the hole were you end up trapped till you beat the hollows and phantoms there, or at least that was in the first game, in dark souls you had those weird bone tower with hands things keeping up at you and the two hollowed warriors.

I went up to him and talked to him and ya it was him, so I stood there thinking of should I kill him or not, I then tried to kick him off the ledge, that didn't work so he ended up attacking me, I didn't really want to kill him because you know in this game it saves everything and when you kill any NPC there not going to be there for the rest of the game, and most of them give you good items or are in the side quests later in the game. So I just backed up from him just to get him to stop attacking me, I backed up right into one of those crawling giant skeletons and got killed as I ran off a cliff trying to avoid both of them. After that I just avoided Patches because he still kept attacking me and made my way back up I think. I eventually came back there when I had leveled up some more and had the skull lantern, because you know couldn't see squat in the place without it.

But ya the game is not that hard its all just about being a bit patient and preparing, definitely cant be running around all willy nilly trying to kick people off cliffs without minding your surroundings.

edit on 4pmTuesdaypm042014f2pmTue, 04 Mar 2014 16:36:35 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

galadofwarthethird

Oh the tomb of the giants? That's actually one of the first places I went to when I started the game for the first time and was low level. I only went half way in at the first bonfire were you meet patches the hyena, I knew who he was and what was going to happen because he was in the first game Demons Souls and he pulls the same trick on you. You know kicks you down the hole were you end up trapped till you beat the hollows and phantoms there, or at least that was in the first game, in dark souls you had those weird bone tower with hands things keeping up at you and the two hollowed warriors.

I went up to him and talked to him and ya it was him, so I stood there thinking of should I kill him or not, I then tried to kick him off the ledge, that didn't work so he ended up attacking me, I didn't really want to kill him because you know in this game it saves everything and when you kill any NPC there not going to be there for the rest of the game, and most of them give you good items or are in the side quests later in the game. So I just backed up from him just to get him to stop attacking me, I backed up right into one of those crawling giant skeletons and got killed as I ran off a cliff trying to avoid both of them. After that I just avoided Patches because he still kept attacking me and made my way back up I think. I eventually came back there when I had leveled up some more and had the skull lantern, because you know couldn't see squat in the place without it.

But ya the game is not that hard its all just about being a bit patient and preparing, definitely cant be running around all willy nilly trying to kick people off cliffs without minding your surroundings.

edit on 4pmTuesdaypm042014f2pmTue, 04 Mar 2014 16:36:35 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

Oh yeah. And then there was THIS guy. I never beat him. Pissed me off to no end lol. The Ceaseless Discharge.....

Other than those 2 things I had no problem really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join