It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-18 down at Fallon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A Navy F-18C went down near NAS Fallon this afternoon in Nevada. It's not looking good for the pilot, as the crash happened around 3pm, and as of an hour ago the pilots condition had not been confirmed. Fallon is one of the most popular training ranges for the US Navy because they average 300 clear days a year, as well as having four ranges, and a 14,000 foot long runway. The aircraft involved in the crash was assigned to the Naval Strike Warfare Center. NAS Fallon is the home of the Top Gun school after it was moved from NAS Miramar, and combined with the Strike Warfare Center, and Strike University, all under the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center.

(CNN) -- A supersonic combat jet crashed Saturday afternoon on a training complex in rural Nevada, the Navy said.
The F/A-18C Hornet went down about 70 miles east of Naval Air Station Fallon in western Nevada, an hour's drive east of Reno.
The aircraft was conducting a training flight. Navy personnel were en route to the scene Saturday night and had not yet "confirmed the status of the aircraft crew member," according to a news release.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Hope the pilot made it out in time

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

I wish I could hold out hope that he did, but usually when it goes this long without word of his condition it's a sign that he didn't get out.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

If they were injured...I hope not. They would have gone to Renowned trauma center Reno. Formerly Washoe medical center. Good care there. But far away. Keep my fingers crossed.

link   

9:30 or so last update, and they didn't know, and the flight went down this afternoon, I agree, yes, the news likely is not good….
he would have indicated ejection intent by radio, or at least distress, and so they would know his proximate location and all, if he'd made it

sadness for anyone who goes, and sometimes wondering if they are in a better place….
i hope so.
Regards to you for regarding him, and me and the rest of us who should be joined by nothing more than knowing none of us knows, perhaps, where we go next
edit on 1-3-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

link   

Or, the F18 crash is a cover story for the crash of something black. In that case you will hear no more about the pilot. Just saying.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

Usually when it's a cover story they use a UAV, like they did in New Mexico when they said a Reaper went down, then set up a no fly zone for 30 days.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

The ejection seat has an automatic beeper that would go off as soon as he punched out if he got out, so even if he couldn't radio, the seat would be sending out a signal.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

yes, i know, without going in depth it was what i was saying.
they would know his exact location, really, so they would know. they are being delicate while searching out relatives, first, I feel….it is how this is done, is it not

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

There is no status of the pilot on CNN. Is there anything current?

Just went to KRNV.com local NBC Reno. No status either. Other than crews were going to the scene. Does not feel good.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Yeah, this way it buys time to notify the family. I'm sure they know his condition already, but they won't say anything until the family gets notified.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

Yeah, the last update was about 9pm or so. That's when I saw the story.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I checked the aviation Harold and the aviationist. Nothing as of yet. I will s&f. So I can check back.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Remember the one that went down in Virginia in January? Tired fleet?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

With it being a C model it could very well be. We're seeing more and more of that between both the AF and the Navy.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Over twelve hours after the crash, and the Navy says that they are having problems getting helicopters and crews to the site due to the terrain. They are searching for the pilot, who has apparently not been heard from yet.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Weather has been a bit harsh out here so I wouldn't necessarily give up hope.
We've had flood warnings and such so even ground transportation may be affected.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Update.
11:03 am 3/2/14
Source is krnv.com Reno
Total loss.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

They usually are. According to Reuters, it was a Marine aircraft, and they're still looking for the pilot.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

No word yet on the name of the marine pilot. Or are they waiting on the recovery for a positive I.D.?
And as far as I recall. Marines were not part of the top gun program there. So this was a regular flight?

Eta. I am aware marines and naval aviators trained there before the school was moved. NAS Fallon serves both as a base and school.
edit on 2-3-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join