It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a psychological rapist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tigertatzen

You are right. She shouldn't have to. But reality is what reality is, and we cannot live in a world where things should be.

I am a white guy that has been called various racial epithets while on my world travels. Sometimes they do it in spanish, and I call them on it. That usually shuts that particular demographic down. But others....

I should have to put up with that. Its downright scary to be away from my firearm, in a "bad neighborhood" (or just out of town in general, where I don't know the neighborhoods), and have someone employ racial remarks against me.

You see where this is going.....that behavior is not, and should not be illegal. Its words. We cannot make the world a safe place, despite what the talking heads on television try to promise.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by yourignoranceisbliss

American Feminism has quickly degraded into a mental illness on par with paranoid schizophrenia. Seriously, look at the parallels.

What are you saying? By "parallels" do you mean to imply that feminists are crazy? Unnecessarily paranoid? Hear voices? That's classy. You think just because a woman doesn't like being treated like a piece of meat every time she goes anywhere by random strangers that somehow she must be a raging, bra-incinerating feminist? Feminism has nothing to do with it. It's called "common decency", and both men and women should be practicing it. Period.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Educating people to respect women is a must, finding excuse to accept it is a joke.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Alot of people are ain't nothing you going to do about it either!

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I should have to put up with that. Its downright scary to be away from my firearm, in a "bad neighborhood" (or just out of town in general, where I don't know the neighborhoods), and have someone employ racial remarks against me.

You're right. You shouldn't. It is wrong and I completely agree.

You see where this is going.....that behavior is not, and should not be illegal. Its words. We cannot make the world a safe place, despite what the talking heads on television try to promise.

I don't think that this behavior should be considered a crime. However, what is being described in the article is not "just words". It is gestures and behaviors that are overtly sexual...unsolicited and unwelcome advances, essentially. I don't think anyone should have to put up with that any more than I think we should tolerate racism or bullying. People need to learn some manners.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Respect, common decency, manners, decorum, and social etiquette went down the toilet decades ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

While you might not want to raise this behavior to the level of a crime - I think people should (like the OP) should be taught that women find this type of behavior distressing.

I think you should probably be taught that plenty of women do not need you making absurd generalizations about them. There are in fact, many places in the world that the woman are strong, pig headed and would never say they are "distressed" by "sly comments" or "stares".

Off the top of my head too, it varies by city. There are a few popular destinations, (metropolitan cities) where the women will stare at you, even with a boyfriend. And then you have night clubs and bars where some will ass grab, kiss you without warning, etc, etc.

I don't think that's a crime either. If it's unwanted you have to let the person know.

In the case of the OP, if it's harassment, it's harassment. A cold, direct response usually lets the person know… Describing it as psychological rape is absurd.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

twfau
Why does it assume only men do this? Completely sexist!

Bingo.

Most sexist thing I find about feminism is how we are supposed to all believe women are helpless creatures who need protecting by white knights.

Every single group of girls I met I have found ones that are just as bad as guys. In every respect. Heck, today with the younger generation I see more girls acting like "boys will be boys" than I do boys (acting like girls).

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

What are you saying? By "parallels" do you mean to imply that feminists are crazy? Unnecessarily paranoid? Hear voices? That's classy. You think just because a woman doesn't like being treated like a piece of meat every time she goes anywhere by random strangers that somehow she must be a raging, bra-incinerating feminist? Feminism has nothing to do with it. It's called "common decency", and both men and women should be practicing it. Period.

Most of my female friends like this kind of thing so long as it's coming from the right person. What about them? They aren't allowed to?

I think it comes down to showing people what you like/don't like. The main problem is people not knowing themselves and giving false signals.

(So I reported a guy at work today for harassment, but secretly I really like it every time he comes on to me, but someone overheard us today and I didn't want to look like a slut…") etc, etc.

r/confession reddit.com

I hear stuff like this a lot from girls in the real world too. The biggest problem is this mentality that girls are supposed to be perfect. Then shame themselves into feeling bad when their body and hormones is telling them to be natural.

What's the most important thing, discerning what is wanted/unwanted. Simple as that.

Every girl I know:

"So did you tell him how many guys you slept with?"

"OMG no… I don't want him to think I'm a slut…"

Hmm…

I admit a major problem is every guy thinking they need to find a virgin. Indifference towards women. And instead of having fun, charismatic exchanges a lot of them get belligerent/creepy when they think a girl is loose (by their standards not hers). Hence it turning into harassment.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I don't know about rape, but it can be pretty annoying and degrading.

If a guy is actually interested in a girl as more than just flesh to hump, he does not behave like a wild animal in rutt, and make catcalls, overt sexual overtures, and the like. That's why it is annoying. It is reducing us to the level of wild animals. Guys who actually genuinely like a female wouldn't resort to this, and actually treat her like a person.

I certainly do not think it should be anywhere near the level of criminal felony. however, unless the behavior gets threatening, and the perps of this behavior seem to threaten escalation. I'd prefer instead to see people publicly shamed by their peers who don't want to tolerate this behavior.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

article title :

What Men Can Do to Stop Rape

now heres a challenge for femenists / others who support this article :

find the article titled :

" what women can do to stop rape "

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

That would be insinuating that women somehow cause rape which is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by WilsonWilson

that is exactly the assanine " argument " I was expecting

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

In what way? Hoe can women stop rape? Let me guess we should make sure ee cover up, we should only go out with a male relative or in groups, blah blah blah. In other words how can we blame women for the violent actions of men. Well all be back in the dark ages.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
Hoe can women stop rape?

Freudian slip?

Anyway...since most men have no inclination to rape, its pointless to tell them to stop raping. We shouldnt address these men. Its grade school educators, therapists, policy makers and law enforcement we need to be looking at to help reduce rape.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Respect, common decency, manners, decorum, and social etiquette went down the toilet decades ago.

I could give you a very long list of instances in which I know that statement to be false. It sounds very much like an excuse. There is no viable excuse for people acting the way they do. And adopting the defeatist mentality that the world is going to hell in a hand basket so there is no point in trying is one of the main reasons those qualities are so difficult to find in the world. Unless someone is born and raised in a bubble, they should be able to comprehend the basic concept of common courtesy. They teach that in school starting from 4-K and kindergarten, all the way through college. And there still are plenty of good parents out there who believe in the value of instilling manners and decorum in their children. I am one of them.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

We live in a society that encourages men to objectify women. To dehumanise them. So I would agree tackling and talking about these issues at school would help.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

At the very least, I find that behavior to be disgusting. Why would you breathe heavy in the general direction of a woman you don't know? I guess if you want her to think you're some revolting mouth-breather that would work. Whistling, catcalling, "hey baby"-ing, blowing kisses, staring a woman up and down, and my personal favorite...honking the horn in your car while a woman is walking down the street; all of those behaviors are the last thing that makes me go "oooh, i really want to hook up with that guy!" But the reason they refer to it as "psychological rape" is that it is just as degrading as someone putting their hands on you or pinching/grabbing your ass (i once knocked a man's molar out for that), or rubbing up against you...only without actually touching you. Why should any woman have to endure that kind of thing whenever she goes out in public? The answer to that is: she shouldn't have to.

Nice underlying tone of violence in your post. Seems like you have a severe distaste for men unless they fit into whatever box you have for them.

I would hazard to guess some of the behaviour you witness is actually in response to how you act yourself.

I know plenty of women, promo girls, who are constantly working in sexually charged atmosphere and can't even recall when they get the kind of thing you're talking about. The innocent stuff they brush off or take as a compliment of course, but the scary ones maybe they don't get it because they aren't looking to sack every guy in the jaw who gawks at them.

Not saying the guys behaviour is right, but people do tend to troll others when they have a chip on their shoulder.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
reply to post by Skyfloating

We live in a society that encourages men to objectify women. To dehumanise them. So I would agree tackling and talking about these issues at school would help.

50 shades of....Biggest selling deviant Sex Manual since De Sade...And who do you find reads it....Woman...who do you find keeps it at number 1 on most good bookstore shelves...Woman.
Women do a perfectly good job at objectifying themselves...But hey, it's all Man's Fault. Stop taking yer clothes off for cash and well stop buying into it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join