It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Rights, Respect and a Rule of Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
We are always told that certain groups of people have to have special rights to protect them because people will take advantage of their Race, Gender. Age or Handicap. I know that Religions were added to that, and now sexual preference.

But all of use have rights and one persons rights should not be trump another persons right.

I can tell if a person is of a different race fifty feet away (unless they are masked), I can tell if a person is a woman from fifty feet away (transgenders NO), I can tell if someone is Old or Young from fifty feet away (unless they are masked), I can tell if some one is handicapped from fifty feet away (unless it is faked, or a mental handicap).

I cannot always tell a person's religion except if they have certain cloths on. Like the Indian head dress and Indian womans diva mark, I can tell a muslim man if he is dressed in traditional garb and his wife if she wears a Hibjab, I can tell if someone is a Mormon missionary by the traditional tie and name plate, I can tell a Amish woman by her covering and the man by his beard(but even then I can be wrong) but most other religions I cannot tell unless I am told.

I cannot tell if a person is gay or Lesbian unless they are flaunting it or they tell me. But in today's gender blender society men who act more feminine are not necessarily gay and women who are a more masculine are not necessarily lesbian. Trans-genders are even hard to place if they are truly playing the role. Most of the time I cannot tell until they speak.

My point is not matter what people are race, gender, handicapped, religion or their desired orientation ALL of us deserve to be treated lie human beings and should act like it.

If yo walk in to someone store and flaunt your gayness and they are offended you act like they are being bigots. If I were gay I would not walk into a church as ask a pastor that I know believes my lifestyle is sin to marry me and my partner. In doing so I am being insensitive towards their Religious Rights. And now we are seeing they want their rights over the others and tha is true bigotry in actions.

Please I may not like your religion, your choices in life, your race or your handicap But I will respect your right to live a free life to pursue happiness.

In order for all of us to get along is that we RESPECT each others RIGHTS to be the way we are with out being bigotted in words and actions. And we should do so in a way we are not hurting the other by trumping my right over yours. If you are gay don't go to Christian businesses and act in a manner that offends them It is extremely insensitive. Just don't go there. If you are a racist don't go to where those races are and expect to trump your rights over theirs because you feel your race is treated with injustice, it is totally insensitive. Or if you feel your race is superior don't go to places of those you feel superior that is insensitive to their race.

If you are of a particular religion great but don't go to anther of a different religion or non-religion and harass or mock or treat them with disrespect it is totally insensitive.

So if we ALL JUST WANT TO GET ALONG let's try just accepting each other for who we are and let each other live. We may win over others a lot easier to our race, handicap, gender, religion or orientation if we would just be a bit more sensitive to the other. I like this, but I am not not trying to espouse my belief over another but this verse always teaches me to place others above myself.

Php 2:3 [Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

If we all could live what this teaches the world would truly be a better place.
edit on 1-3-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

And now we are seeing they want their rights over the others and tha is true bigotry in actions.
reply to post by ChesterJohn

This is a classic example of circular logic. You have the right to your religious beliefs...that doesn't give you the right to discriminate against others because of them. What is so hard to understand about that?

If you are gay don't go to Christian businesses and act in a manner that offends them It is extremely insensitive.

Can you cite one example where this has happened? Thats why that hideous law in Arizona was struck down....it did not address a specific issue, not to mention that descrimination is Unconstitutional.

If you are of a particular religion great but don't go to anther of a different religion or non-religion and harass or mock or treat them with disrespect it is totally insensitive.

I agree. Can you cite any example at all of this happening somewhere?

We may win over others a lot easier to our race, handicap, gender, religion or orientation if we would just be a bit more sensitive to the other.

Here we go again...round and round. In this case it was Christian INTOLERANCE of gays that was utterly insensitive to their human rights. Can you even imagine the backlash if this were the Muslims trying to pass a law so that they didn't have to serve Christians or even Jews?

If we all could live what this teaches the world would truly be a better place.

At least we can agree on that.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I don't have problem with your view so long as all religions respect my desire to be free of any religion and do not try to recruit me into their religion.

I don't have problem with your view for so long as religions respect my desire have nothing to do with their religion and make no attempt to try to control me and apply even subtle pressure to force me to 'respect' their religion over my freedom to be free of religion.

I don't have problem with your view for so long as religions do not take the view they are superior to me because they are religious and I am not.

I don't have problem with your view for so long as religions respect my view that for me to be free, I need be free of religion and not be ccnstrained by religious beliefs.

Religion is the oldest form of mind control there is.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Thanks for making my point, you are a classic example of insensitivity and bigotry.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
THEY will never allow us to live in tollerance of each other, they will always send their agents out among us to stir the sh!t.
I believe all the people of the world are perfectly capable of getting on just fine, the problem is those who set us up so that we fight amongst ourselves, it stops us from seeing the real causes of our problems.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

learnatic
I don't have problem with your view so long as all religions respect my desire to be free of any religion and do not try to recruit me into their religion.

I don't have problem with your view for so long as religions respect my desire have nothing to do with their religion and make no attempt to try to control me and apply even subtle pressure to force me to 'respect' their religion over my freedom to be free of religion.

I don't have problem with your view for so long as religions do not take the view they are superior to me because they are religious and I am not.

I don't have problem with your view for so long as religions respect my view that for me to be free, I need be free of religion and not be ccnstrained by religious beliefs.

Religion is the oldest form of mind control there is.

Views are great and we all have some.

But the idea is that we ALL be sensitive and respectful to one another no matter what our differences are.

You may not like my view but like you I have a right to it.

You may not like my choice of book I quoted from so do us all a favor find one that suggest the same practice in life.

Basically it says. Don't look to cause problems and hurt others, and without piousness and pride, think of others first, lift them up and treat them better than your self.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Thanks for making my point, you are a classic example of insensitivity and bigotry.

Wow...just wow. Is that the pot calling the kettle black or what?

You did not address a single point I made....instead like a petulant child that can't get his way you lash out and start the name calling.

Grow up.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

deadcalm

Wow...just wow. Is that the pot calling the kettle black or what?

You did not address a single point I made....instead like a petulant child that can't get his way you lash out and start the name calling.

Grow up.

Why should someone reply to such insensitivity and bigotry as yours.

However I will acknowledge you have the right to be the biggest @$$ in the world if you want to be. Ass a matter of fact I don't care go for it. I will go on with my life and let you live your miserable existence any way you want.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

VoidHawk
THEY will never allow us to live in tollerance of each other, they will always send their agents out among us to stir the sh!t.
I believe all the people of the world are perfectly capable of getting on just fine, the problem is those who set us up so that we fight amongst ourselves, it stops us from seeing the real causes of our problems.

Isn't it a shame they want us all to conform to race, gender, handicap and religion/non-religion, education but they themselves don't abide by any of it.

To bad people cna't rise above it and enjoy life.

Life is short and if you spend to much time in it with people like deadcalm it would be a miserable place to say the least.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Why should someone reply to such insensitivity and bigotry as yours.

Ahhh...back to the name calling again....an inherent sign that you haven't a leg to stand on. Rather pathetic don't you think?

Ask yourself....what would Jesus do?

However I will acknowledge you have the right to be the biggest @$$ in the world if you want to be.

Passive aggressive much? I guess you have the right to be a moron as well....*sigh* I also have the right not to support this thread by not posting in it anymore....a right I'm going to exercise right now. Best of luck.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

This is a classic example of circular logic. You have the right to your religious beliefs...that doesn't give you the right to discriminate against others because of them. What is so hard to understand about that?

But you have every right to discriminate against people because they have religious beliefs you don't agree with?

That's the point of what was written.

If you don't like being forced into being and acting other than you are, learn from it and don't do the same to others, even if it means they get to do things you don't agree with ... including not participating in your gay ceremonies.

In return, you go and find those who will participate in your ceremonies and have them and live your lives unmolested which is what you claim you have always wanted. None of us will go out of our way to stop you.

If we don't want to be there and take part, I'm not really sure why you feel you need to compel us to be there and take part anyhow. A traditional marriage is supposed to be the happiest day of your life and not an excuse to take revenge on others with whom you disagree and fill your day with a lot of folks who don't want to be there and aren't happy about it.
edit on 1-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Race, Gender. Age or Handicap. I know that Religions were added to that, and now sexual preference.

Interestingly enough the only one that's a preference out of those is religion. The other's are not a matter of choice.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

Race, Gender. Age or Handicap. I know that Religions were added to that, and now sexual preference.

Interestingly enough the only one that's a preference out of those is religion. The other's are not a matter of choice.

Sexual preferences are a choice too the last time I checked.

In Most middle east nations people are Born into the Muslim, into the Islamic Religion and these have no choice. Those who exercise their preference are killed, maimed or mutilated. Those events happens also in Hindu and Buddhist religions but not as severe.

My wife is a woman of color and our children are a mixed race but we don't suffer a lot of bigotry.

I believe that on the earth men can live the way they want as long as how they live doesn't infringe on others lives because that would be insensitive on their part toward their fellow human beings. Nothing wrong with sharing your life with otters when they open up to it, we just cant force anyone into our view no matter what practice that is.

What makes it difficult for us to live harmoniously is the ones who want to practice their racism, bigotry and hatred openly and incite others to do likewise.

I just keep thinking, if I try not to look for what benefits me most but what benefits you more when we meet or interact in society. I should be sensitive to your needs as a person regardless of all those things that would cause divisions like our gender or race, handicap or preferences, religion or non-religion and you should do likewise when interacting with me.

I hear a lot of people use this and call it the golden rule. And believe it or not I never found it in the bible though people claim it is from Jesus. Treat others as you want to be treated. The verse I quoted in the OP goes a step beyond that and basically open it to the one who practices it to think of the others first and give them the lift before looking to what's in it for yourself.

People hate it if I try and force my belief on them even as I hate it when you try and force your belief on me. whether that belief is religious or a lifestyle, Your personal preferences are different than mine because we are different but if I don't care for your ways doesn't give you a right to constantly force your ways on me or me to force mine on you.

We do need to watch each others back and to be willing to overlook things that would divide especially when we are in time of trouble like the great depression. we will need to pull together if any of us are going to make it through times of troubles. and if we keep digging deeper trenches sooner or latter it will collapse on us.

Esteem others not self, look to others needs above your own, look to love no matter what it cost you and if everyone did that no one would be in need, be unloved and we all would greatly benefit from it.

True bigots can not interact with people and eventually they become loners. and that is a place none of us should go.

edit on 1-3-2014 by ChesterJohn because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Sexual preferences are a choice too the last time I checked.

You're presuming by injecting the word 'preference'. That would be in error. Sexual orientations are not a choice. You may think so but that's not what heterosexuals say about their orientation. Not what I hear gay people say about their orientation. Not what I say about my orientation. Not what the professionals in pertinent health fields say about sexual orientation.

In Most middle east nations people are Born into the Muslim, into the Islamic Religion and these have no choice.

I see your point. Not quite what I meant. These people would still have the choice to believe the religions are true…internally.

I believe that on the earth men can live the way they want as long as how they live doesn't infringe on others lives because that would be insensitive on their part toward their fellow human beings.

Right. All within reason.

Would we says it's wrong to infringe on the rights of the pedophile who was just wanting to live the way they want?

Both positions infringe on someones way of life. The pedophile infringes on the life of the child, and society infringes on the freedom of the pedophiles action to do so. One we deem acceptable.

I hear a lot of people use this and call it the golden rule. And believe it or not I never found it in the bible though people claim it is from Jesus. T

Mathew 7:12 I believe.

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Though I must say there is lots in the Bible antithetical to that sentiment.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Orientation. Like a compass orients to the north and that compass can orient to any magnetic force closest to it. It is more about environment coupled with free will and choice that create the illusion of orientation in a persona mind.

We still need to live within a ruled society in certain areas such as pedophilia. Any one who can not respect the innocence of a child is not sensitive to the need of that child above their own sexual need, they would not be following what I have been describing that we all should be doing our best to follow "thinking of others better than self". Seeking what is best for you and you seeking whats best for me, and everyone doing that for each other during any course of interaction of any given day would create a very peaceful and safe environment for all.

But it is a given not all would follow it because selfish pride was the sin of Satan. and each of us has that (though you may not agree with it and I respect that if your don't, you may call it something else). But even if only 75% of the people followed the practice of esteeming others better than self those 25%er's would stand out of place and be known for their hatred and self-centered lives.

It can only happen in our dreams really because who wants change and think of others in this self centered world any way?

But you know what, I try and live by that rule and there is a lot less strife in our life and I have a lot of friends who treat me the same. the great thing is some of them secular atheist and they are some good people. And because of our interactions they share with me and I with them on what we believe and we are benefited by it even if we don't agree.

edit on 1-3-2014 by ChesterJohn because: spelling and word changes

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Orientation. Like a compass orients to the north and that compass can orient to any magnetic force closest to it. It is more about environment couple with free will and chose that create the illusion of orientation.

I respect that's your opinion. As the quote goes “You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

Nah I don't believe in sin in the religious sense or Satan. I agree with what you're saying about a peaceful and safe environment but we will probably disagree on its application at times. It seems to me you think certain actions against LGBT doesn't upset that but I would disagree.

the great thing is some of them secular atheist and they are some good people. And because of our interactions they share with me and I with them on what we believe and we are benefited by it even if we don't agree.

That's great
Refreshing to hear as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

you would be surprised how much I have changed in my view of the LGTB crowd. My religion may not support their desire to be legally binding to one another. But secular society has all right to grant them the legal binding status for the tax laws and other laws that would have seemed only to apply hetero couples.

I have to accept what the government has legalized. I don't have to agree with it but I must accept it.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Every time someone says "Sexual Preference" it always feels like a bit of shade being tossed

You can select what Religion you believe in even if you are "Born into" a Religious family you have that option, i don't have that option for my Sexuality.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Darth_Prime

i don't have that option for my Sexuality.

I did.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I did.

You mean to express it externally?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join