It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama: America's Moms Are 'Confused and Bewildered,' 'Defeated' by Grocery Shopping

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

I was also reading labels since I was a teen. My mom was into drinking pure water then, and vitamins, and eating wholesome grains. Instead of controlling what's being served in the cafeteria, we could consider actual real classes in nutrition before 7th grade. Perhaps continued education in real nutrition would help future generations. I am still waiting for her to stop aspartame in packaged foods. That would be a real accomplishment. I bet she will never go there.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

jimmyx

ketsuko

jimmyx

dear ohioriver,
i'm 61, and have been doing the grocery shopping for the last couple of decades....and yes, there are women, as well as men, that pile crap food into their carts, while trying to keep a couple of kids from running around. I've have seen it every time I go to the store, boxes of coco puffs, fruit loops, bags of cookies, bags of candy, 12packs of coke, pastries, etc....what's wrong with you people?...is your hatred of Michelle Obama so deep that you think if she puts out a few guidelines for buying food, somehow she's insulting every woman?

Dear jimmyx,

I spotted the flaw in your assumption. Changing the labels on the packages this woman you describe already isn't looking at because she too busy trying to control her children isn't going to make her read them anymore than she was before. Right?

Frankly, this isn't about changing labels or anything like that. This is about her stated reasons for it - we're defeated by shopping. In other words, we're too stupid to do it right. Her word usage implies that we need the government to save us and shop for us that we are incapable of doing it ourselves.

It's not the government's job to save the Fatties from killing themselves if that's what they're determined to do. That's not what my tax dollars are being sent to them for.

you are reading way too much into this....she's getting crap, not because of what she said, but, because she's an Obama...eat all the crap you want, feed your kids all the sugar, colas, candy, fats..etc. that they can stuff into their fat little faces, for all I care ......I don't give a damn.....she's trying to be positive, which for the majority of right-wingers here is a 4 letter word.

She's trying to be positive in a "let them eat cake" condescending sort of way. It's like telling all 20-somethings that they're knuckleheads. She's like most lefties and speaks in generalities, and when you do that, you end up insulting a lot of people.

Not all 20-somethings are knuckleheads, and not all women are "defeated" by food labels when we shop for groceries.

Those of us who care know what we're doing, and the ones she's targeting won't be affected one way or the other because it's not label illiteracy that's stopping them from eating better most of the time.

Maybe she ought to fire her leftist, condescending speech writers then.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

ThirdEyeofHorus

I was also reading labels since I was a teen. My mom was into drinking pure water then, and vitamins, and eating wholesome grains. Instead of controlling what's being served in the cafeteria, we could consider actual real classes in nutrition before 7th grade. Perhaps continued education in real nutrition would help future generations. I am still waiting for her to stop aspartame in packaged foods. That would be a real accomplishment. I bet she will never go there.

No, they did My Plate which I thought was a step back. It doesn't actually give you much idea of what you should be eating and how much. Have they never seen how high some people can pile a plate of food?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

This just shows the arrogance of these people. It is condescending. Something these liberal communists don't like is people making their own decisions.

When Obama lost so bad in my state (WV) they started making accusations that it was because of "racism" or "uneducated people". So people here voted for a criminal who is doing time in prison. He won over Obama, I think. It had to be a humiliating thing for Obama. They were supposed to send people here to determine why he lost so bad--they were acting like a bunch of sore losers. I think that's why he destroyed coal companies.
edit on 3-3-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I've seen this somewhere. I kind of know what to expect. We're being told we're too dumb to read the labels. We're being told the labels are inadequate. So what they'll do is cut down on cryptic things and tell us more what to do. And the catch is while taking some things away they're going to convince us they're giving us more.

Maybe they'll call it Smart (tm) labeling. It tells you what to do. It's about convenience. It's like popping something in the microwave; ready-to-eat in 3 minutes. It's like turning on the world news and getting it in 90 seconds. We're all too busy right? No time for closely examining things. Always movin'.
edit on 3-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

This personifies exactly how those in Govt view the lowly citizen. Too dumb to figure things out, too poor to survive in your own and too ignorant to not see just how good Govt is for you.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by neo96

No it doesn't. Without looking it up tell me what carragenin is ? What about diglicerides do you know what that is or what it's in. Cellulose, what do we find that in? Your education didn't cover this stuff.
Schools taught the four food groups when I was in school. Now they go more into the details but back then it was pretty basic stuff. My parents didn't get any education on nutrition when they were in the school system in the 30s and 40s.
Carragenin is a chemical thickener that makes things feel creamy in you mouth. We find it in cream and ice cream and puddings. Diglicerides are conditioners that also improve the feel of food in your mouth. Cellulose is wood fiber and its in crackers and candy bars and those veggy burgers health nuts seem to think are so good for you. But you need to seek that info the labels list it but don't say what it is or what it does. No label is ever going to make it completely easy but clearer labels might at least help us make better choices. Moms probably don't want to feed their kids toxins but they are in there and the label doesn't tell you that.

And yet, you know all of those things without government or Michelle telling you about them.

Here's the rub. You know about those things because you care and you, caring about it, try to make educated and informed choices--as everyone who cares already does. Those who do not know about these things, don't know because they don't care and no amount of labeling will make them care and won't make a difference.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Her advice might be more appreciated if she attended to her own backside first. She's heavier than I am. There is no way that Michelle eats totally healthy, or she would be much slimmer than what she is. There's been enough evidence of her personal food choices such as steak, lobster, ice cream, burgers, fries, etc. Like mom my used to tell me, clean up your own backyard before telling someone else what to do with theirs.

edit on 3-3-2014 by Aisling because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

sheepslayer247

Ya, I watched the video and no where does she say this:

that the women of the country are 'defeated' when shopping because they are clueless idiots and can't figure out what is good for them and what isn't

She did use the word defeated, confused and bewildered but not in the context in which it is being taken in this thread.

Let's be honest here. This has nothing to do with food labels or anything of the sort. This is about politics. We grasp at any straw we can when it comes to demonizing someone we disagree with politically...and that is why this is even an issue.

She didn't call anyone an idiot or anything of the sort, but we will believe that what she said because we don't like her hubby's politics.

At least one person isn't deaf to what was actually said in the video. And you are right politics is the only reason why people are crying about what she said. With as many people that are posting in this thread you also see complaining about what the food companies put in their food suddenly complaining when the first lady wants better labels on food shows it politics only.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

FlyersFan

neo96
When was the last time Mrs Obama went shopping ?

When was the last time Mrs. Obama pulled a weed in 'her organic garden' at the White House?
It was left to rot when the 'sequestration' kicked in. Obviously it isn't her garden, it's a publicity stunt.
Maybe Michelle is blathering about moms not being able to shop, because she is clueless herself
and she thinks everyone else is as moronic as she is.

That's because she's really not concerned about healthy eating. It's just her thing to do while she passes the time in the WH. Remember her ridiculous walking school buses campaign? Folks in Chicago whose schools were shut down didn't appreciate that one being that their children had to be bused to other schools across the city. Or her failed school lunch overhaul that actually starved the children. She went at that one with complete ignorance. To be honest, I never thought Michelle was that intelligent.

A lot of people don't mind a nanny state and like the hand holding, while I tend to find it insulting. Maybe because I'm an educated woman who is capable and competent. I realize that a lot of people are not as aware about nutrition, but let's not treat them like idiots, let's empower them and give them the choice on how they want to eat.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

buster2010
politics is the only reason why people are crying about what she said.

Dead wrong. Partisan politics is the only reason YOU are defending what she said.
What she said was stupid. It was arrogant. It was belittling. It was just plain ol' WRONG on many levels.
THAT is why people are complaining about it.

Your attempt at deflection - to take the heat off Michelle for the ignorance she spewed and instead try to make it look like we are all ignorant and partisan - EPIC FAILURE.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
How dare she say that its difficult to be a mom with all the crappy food and un educated parents not understanding what a healthy meal is.

Damn those communist.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Actually, it's quite easy to shop for healthy foods at the local grocery. Shop the perimeter of the store and, for the most part, avoid the aisles. That's where all the processed garbage is. The perimeter contains the produce, meat, dairy, bread, and deli...Avoiding pre-packaged box meals and such is the key. The only things I get in the aisle are things like beans, pasta, coffee and teas. I hope this makes sense, I heard it on a show or online several years ago and have pretty much stuck to it ever since!

As far as the labels go, they need to re-do them since they've cut back on the amount they put into the "box" so to speak...All products have shrunk, but I don't think they've re-done the labels.

edit on 4-3-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Like she goes to the market, she probably doesn't even know how to slide an atm card, she hasn't had to do it in years. She certainly couldn't go around spending 1000 dollar bills in packs of 50, but then again she does.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join