It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 71
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Wookiep
I'm confused why the media is still focused on Crimea.. It has been assumed for a couple days now that it is now in Russian control. Putin wins Crimea, we get it. What concerns me is this talk that Russia may be pushing now into the western parts of Ukraine all the way up to and including Kiev. Why is NATO napping on this? This seems really weird and all too easy going for Russia w/o any resistance..
edit on 3-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

Bit by bit..they will take it all. It the only way it seems to make sense. Complete control border to borders.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have been following this thread from the beginning and first off, a big thank you to asen
for all the updates from within the Ukraine.

Now a couple of points I'd like to make.

-IMO, regardless of others opinion on how legitimate the ousting of the pro-Russian former president was, it was something that would have been addressed in the May elections. It is also something that should have been handled diplomatically within Ukraine.

-IMO, this whole thing is Putin having a tantrum because he was not going to get what he wanted. Once his pro-Russia president/ally was ousted, the chances of Ukraine aligning with Russia was pretty much done and it was likely that Ukraine would have ended up a member of the EU. I'm not saying what way was right, that Ukraine should join the EU, should align with Russia or should remain on its own; just that I think that this is the reasoning behind it all.

-News/Rumors out of Crimea of army/navy/politicians switching loyalties to Russia I see as possibly under duress. As a person, if you are faced with the choice of handing over your weapon/power and joining the currently "winning team", I suspect many would do just that for self preservation. Many of them have families nearby, within Crimea that they are also trying to protect.

-Russia is invading Ukraine. I just don't see how anyone can dispute this any longer. IMO, it is abundantly clear to me now that Russia's intent was to retake all of the Ukraine from the beginning and this whole "protecting Russian interests in Crimea" was just to keep the world sitting by while Russia got boots on the ground inside the Ukraine.

-IMO, the Ukraine is just the current step in Putin's attempt to regain part of the U.S.S.R.. If he is not stopped in the Ukraine, more countries will be threatened. This is the main reason why I believe it is now time for NATO to tell Russia to immediately withdraw all troops or NATO will use military force to push the Russia troops back out of the country and allow the country to stabilize until the elections in May.

To this end, my thoughts are with the people of Ukraine. They are the ones who ultimately will pay the highest price.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I #ing despise Russia's way of thinking with a passion. If there is any country in the world we could call "egotistical", it would be Russia. Russia has yet to recover from the wound of the fall of the soviet Union. The government there - that is, the government of Vladimir Putin - has decided not to learn anything constructive from that experience. Just look at this: what exactly is Putin hoping for by invading and planning annexation of the Crimea? Why is he jeopardizing Russias economy and reputation in the world?

The man is an insanely selfish lunatic. His legitimacy as president is being challenged by a democratic movement in the country. Is this how he's going to deal with it? Throw the country - and the region - into disarray as a way to consolidate power? To more efficiently deal with dissidents in the context of political uproar?

This is insanity. Russia SHOULD be punished for this, but it is difficult to decide how that should be done. A military option, at this point, would seem ill-advised to me. Obviously, Russia will suffer major sanctions for this, which means, Russias people will suffer the consequences of it's kleptocratic governments complicity.

This course that Putin has decided upon will not end well for him - or for the oligarchical system that he established with private business leaders. If Putin goes ahead with this plan to annex the Crimea, I see a lot of suffering in the future for the Russian people: the collapse of the Russian economy; food shortages, cuts in services, rise in mental illness. And this will only make Putins hold on power more insecure as the world around him becomes more chaotic, more unstable.

On the other hand, outsiders have wondered for awhile at Russia's strange 6 month food reserve for the entire population. Why would Russia earmark money and resources for "storage"? I guess, in light of the current events, it all makes sense. Has Russias leadership been preparing for a moment like this - waiting for the right pretext?

link   

Ukrainian Interior Ministry spokesman Evgeniy Perebyynis warned of the poissibility of Russian ground forces entering Ukrainian territory besides the Crimea. -- Solomiya Zineyevych

link   

The head of Russia's Black Sea Fleet Aleksander Vitko set the deadline and threatened an attack "across Crimea". He also reportedly told two warships to surrender or be attacked at 17:00 GMT on Monday.

news source

Seeing its currently 17.05 GMT..... i guess its time for Russia to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk.
edit on 2014-03-03T11:07:15-06:00201403bam3103am1531 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

combatmaster

The head of Russia's Black Sea Fleet Aleksander Vitko set the deadline and threatened an attack "across Crimea". He also reportedly told two warships to surrender or be attacked at 17:00 GMT on Monday.

news source

Seeing its currently 17.05 GMT..... i guess its time for Russia to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk.
edit on 2014-03-03T11:07:15-06:00201403bam3103am1531 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

I thought the deadline was 0500 their time?

Are there two deadlines going on?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Putin wants his stan's back.
You make a good point..

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

khimbar

combatmaster

news source

Yes... the 17.00GMT one is for the 2 warships in the black sea.

The other deadline (3.00GMT on tuesday) is for the land!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

combatmaster

khimbar

combatmaster

news source

Yes... the 17.00GMT one is for the 2 warships in the black sea.

The other deadline (3.00GMT on tuesday) is for the land!

Bloody hell.

link   
reply to post by lynn112

I see the same in the Ukraine as you. Putin protecting Russians and their interests in the Crimea is similar to Adolf Hitler's so called protecting Germans living in the Sudetenland and Danzig in Poland. The crisis in the Ukraine is a dress rehersal for the Russian and Arab invasion of Israel.

link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

That deadline expired 10 minutes ago

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
BBC REPORTS HARDLINE SANCTIONS -

Chris Morris BBC News tweets: Ukrainian ambassador to #EU tells me one sanction they will push for if Moscow doesn't back down is expel Russia from World Cup this summer..

Putin must be looking to change his boxers after reading that...

link   
RT is now denying the deadline as 'nonsense'. Don't know which deadline though!

rt.com...

link   

NeoSpace
www.bbc.co.uk...

That deadline expired 10 minutes ago

Nice bluff Putin. I thought this guy made love to bears and stuff. Softie...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Heres a pic of the ukrainian ships with the Russian one in the distance giving the ultimatum over loud speaker.

Here

Caption to the pic

A Russian naval ship (at right and further offshore) has been circling the Black Sea shore near Sevastopol Bay and issuing what sound like commands to the Ukrainian ship via a loudspeaker. Two news agencies -- Interfax-Ukraine and Channel 5 -- have said that the Russian Black Sea Fleet command has issued ultimatums to their Ukrainian counterparts to surrender tonight or face attack. A security source confirmed the reported threats to the Kyiv Post. © Christopher J. Miller

edit on 3/3/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Asen, I have to agree with what someone else has said. It is time to at the very least get things together in preparation to leave if you need to. I fear Poland may close its borders and leave you trapped if you wait to long.

Be safe.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Chris Morris BBC News tweets: Ukrainian ambassador to #EU tells me one sanction they will push for if Moscow doesn't back down is expel Russia from World Cup this summer

This is a bloody joke.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

andy1972
BBC REPORTS HARDLINE SANCTIONS -

Chris Morris BBC News tweets: Ukrainian ambassador to #EU tells me one sanction they will push for if Moscow doesn't back down is expel Russia from World Cup this summer..

Putin must be looking to change his boxers after reading that...

Lmao! Really. Not no import of rice or grains.....trades of a sort?.
Ban Russia from a game! Wow
OK thanks for that info.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

asen_y2k
Heres a pic of the ukrainian ships with the Russian one in the distance giving the ultimatum over loud speaker.

Here

Caption to the pic

What one is the Ukrainian Ship. The small one in the Middle...Looks rubbish.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

asen_y2k

Chris Morris BBC News tweets: Ukrainian ambassador to #EU tells me one sanction they will push for if Moscow doesn't back down is expel Russia from World Cup this summer

This is a bloody joke.

Sorry, wish it was But it's NOT..
edit on AM1Mon20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join