It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
U.S. military advisers are heading to Ukraine, the Air Force Times reports.
The small team will be there to assess "mid- and long-term needs for defense reform," a Pentagon official tells Chuck Vinch.
The White House has slowly been rolling out its assistance to Ukraine since early March, including a $1 billion aid package. Back then, interim Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk met with President Obama at the White House and appealed for military aid, including arms, ammunition, and intelligence support.
Here's what the White House has pledged to provide to the Ukrainian military so far:
$23 million for defense security
$5 million in body armor
About 300,000 ready-to-eat meals
Night-vision goggles, medical supplies, helmets, sleeping mats, handheld radios, and water-purification units
And for Ukraine's State Border Guard Service, which has had to contend with the looming threat of Russian troops to the east:
20-person shelters, sleeping bags, fuel filter adapters, barbed wire, patrol flashlights, perimeter alarm systems, fuel pumps, concertina wire, vehicle batteries, spare tires, binoculars, excavators, trucks, generators, food storage freezers, field stoves, and communications gear.
Ukraine will no doubt welcome the help. Its military, underfunded and plagued by shaky leadership, has struggled to push pro-Russian separatists groups out of the eastern part of the country. On Wednesday, Ukrainian forces abandoned a military outpost in the city of Luhansk after a 10-hour gunfight with separatists, who have taken over the region.
originally posted by: cosmonova
From inauguration of Poroshenko.
Not a good sign.
originally posted by: letscit
June 6th combat SITREP update by "Juan"
1. Commo around Slavyansk is busy with reports of much movement of Nats forces.
2. Semenovka is under continuous bombardment since 07:00 06.06.2014. Vast areas are destroyed. Grad missiles are used but not in salvo. 15.2 cm howitzers and 12.2 cm mortars plus heavy field guns and tank cannon.
3. Lugansk City proper is under air attack 18:05 06.06.2014. At least 2 Su25 aircraft attacked living areas. Casualties unknown.
4. Nats An 30b surveillance aircraft shot down 06.06.2014 18:45 local time. First 2 vids. vk.com...
5. Slavyansk water supply system hit by Nats arty. Water supply to most of city cut off.
6. Slavyansk electric supply system hit by Nats Arty. Electric off for most of city as of 14:00 06.06.2014.
7. Krasni Liman. All males ages 18-40 being arrested by right sector. Those arrested are being taken out of town. Fates unknown. Photos. Militsiya (police) car with right sector.
8. 2 strong armor columns moving toward Slavyansk. Numerous tanks and supporting troops.
9. 3 cm anti aircraft guns are shooting down in to Slavyansk City from overlooking hills. Living areas and shops are targeted.
10. An agreement was reaching with Nats Army CO Slavyansk area to evactuate two columns of buses with children and young mothers. First column left city using designated route and was fired upon by right sector units. Casualtied, if any, are unknown. Second column left by a different route. No commo with either column since 16:14 06.06.2014.
11. Donbas Army has made appeal for qualified tankists and pilots.
12. Reports of heavy fighting developing outskirts of Slavyansk City proper 18:45 local Ukraine time.
14. Personal conversation by phone mid day today with person living near Krasni Liman. Person states right sector is looting shops, confiscating cars, trucks and buses. A few civilian men shot down in local streets. Some young women have been outraged. Person says no food allowed in to their living area location. Person states person and children eating porridge made from stored cattle food using water from local stream. Porridge is not cooked, barley soaked in water until soft, eaten cold. Water and electric cut off. Right sector going door to door checking documents and confiscating computers and cell phones. If no one answers door right sector breaks door down. If anyone in house or flat they are beaten and sometimes shot. Citizens with Russian passports are arrested and taken away. Fate unknown. Could hear screams and shouts at not great distance from cell phone, person stopped phone in mid sentence. I did not call back for fear of endangering person.
As evidenced by the one you posted pure fabrication.
RUSSIA STANDS FOR FREEDOM!
all the parrots in here are going to get what they have been asking for. but remember: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR. YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT! DUMBA***S.
The media is more or less independent from the regime, but primarily linked to the national elites and their agenda.
Today I heard that there are already 12'000 refugees just in the Rostov-on-the-Don area. That means that the real numbers are way higher.
KIEV, Ukraine — Petro Oleksiyovych Poroshenko, a pro-European, billionaire confectioner, was sworn in on Saturday as the fifth president of Ukraine, promising to put an end to a separatist insurrection in the east that has divided the country for months. He also expressed new resolve, saying Ukraine would never accept Russia’s annexation of Crimea, a point that he made in a face-to-face meeting with President Vladimir V. Putin on Friday.
In a forceful inaugural address, Mr. Poroshenko called on rebel fighters in eastern Ukraine to put down their weapons and he promised safe passage for “Russian mercenaries” who wish to return home. But he said there would be no negotiations with armed insurgents, raising the prospect of further bloodshed as the military seeks to quash the rebellion.
Ukrainian MP kicks out Russian journos from parliament, calls them ‘spies’ (VIDEO)
US shale gas exports won’t solve EU energy problems – Barroso