It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Really, who didn't see this coming? This WHOLE situation has been choreographed by Czar Putin, since day #1. Having the worlds atention on the most beautiful area of your country, and declaring war on another part at nearly the same time, is almost laughable.
The symbolism is screaming this: From the Olympic ring that malfunctioned at the opening ceremonies, to the 'JOKE' about it at the closing ceremonies.
How gullible are we?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Thanks, saved me from looking up what the Budapest memo was.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Love your posts by the way.

Anyway, ....
Check out

Hydrocarbons exploration

Since the 1980s, the Soviet Union started offshore drilling for petroleum in the sea's western portion (adjoining Ukraine's coast). The independent Ukraine continued and intensified that effort within its Exclusive Economic Zone, inviting major international oil companies for exploration. Discovery of the new, massive oilfields in the area stimulated an influx of foreign investments. It also provoked a short-term peaceful territorial dispute with Romania which was resolved in 2011 by an international court redefining the Exclusive Economic Zones between the two countries.

so theres one bit that someone is sure to mention

but here's an interesting thing I stumbled upon

Modern military use

International and military use of the Straits

The 1936 Montreux Convention provides for a free passage of civilian ships between the international waters of the Black and the Mediterranean Seas. However, a single country (Turkey) has a complete control over the straits connecting the two seas. The 1982 amendments to the Montreux Convention allow Turkey to close the Straits at its discretion in both wartime and peacetime.[52]

The 1936 Montreux Convention governs the passage of vessels between the Black and the Mediterranean Seas and the presence of military vessels belonging to non-littoral states in the Black Sea waters.[

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ukraine claims disinfo being spread by Russia

Russian agency RIA Novosti has launched false information about alleged Ukrainian ship flagship Naval Forces of Ukraine, frigate "Hetman Sahaidachny" allegedly left the main base of Sevastopol. This district and svoiy Facebook page says former naval officer, journalist Miroslav Mamchak. "As a member of the crew of the frigate, the ship is under plan in Greece in Port on the island. Crete and on the ship all right," - he said. Previously, RIA-Novosti , citing a representative of the Navy Staff reported that the flagship of the Naval Forces of Ukraine, the frigate "Hetman Sahaidachny" out of the main base of Sevastopol.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Tymoshenko proposes to convene the UN Security Council in Kiev and immediately sign an agreement with the EU

Former Prime Minister calls immediately convene a meeting of the Supreme Council and adopt the following decision: 1) an appeal to the UN Security Council urgently to convene in Kiev the UN Security Council. 2) an appeal to the European Union's proposal to urgently raise the EU Council of Ministers and the EU summit at the Livadia Palace in the Crimea. 3) Adopt an appeal to the European Union's proposal immediately, within a few days to sign with Ukraine Association Agreement , which has already passed all required preliminary procedures and fully ready for implementation. 4) Make a decision that confirms the immediate readiness of Ukraine to sign the Agreement with the EU. 5) an appeal to the countries of the Western world with the requirement to immediately set the conditions of the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances given location in the Ukraine nuclear facilities. We do not want war, we need a strategy for deterring aggression, which will apply the democratic world. And today, this strategy will work.

edit on 1/3/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

Thanks for all the info, hope all of you stay safe.
In the meantime, here are some "Slavonic themed" links for anyone interested in myths related to my post above:

Rod
Jarilo
Svetovid

Perun
Zorya
Dodola

Triglav

And even Hors the "Sun Chariot running the Celestial Course"
aka "the Chorus of the Horus Horse".

I heard about it from the Sudice cuz I'm down with Zir and practice Krav Maga with Baba Yaga.

Did you know Zmey is a lot like Smoke ?
Smok Wawel
and Smok the extinct genus of Archosaur ?

Unveil Mars' Veil aka Marvel:

The Dragon (as "The Beast of Kraków") appeared in the eighth issue of a comic book series Nextwave from Marvel Comics (written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Stuart Immonen).

It must be that Flaming Pony, the Pontiac Firebird from Phoenix in the Zone of Ari.

I found out about Likho at the Basilica of Our Lady of Lichen

What am I on about? The Vucari of the Wild Rusalka ?

I could do that all day, I'll stop there (for now at least).
Hopefully you will like my 'Slab of Slav Slang that I Slam with a Slapstick Slant'.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

asen_y2k

rigel4

asen_y2k
reply to post by Catacomb

I will be trying my best.

As you are a Ukrainian ..can i ask your opinion.

Do you and as best as you can gauge the people want to fight the Russians..
or accept overwhelming odds and live for another day.

The question is important to me if no one else.

If you don't want to answer that's fine too.

edit on 1-3-2014 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

I am not Ukrainian, i live here for 6 years and pretty much spend most of my time with Ukrainians. Here in western Ukraine the sentiment is extremently anti Russian. But from what I hear amongsts Ukrainians as you go east its more and more pro Russian. The people here in the west call their eastern countryment moskali meaning moscovites. Many here share the opinion to seperate into eastern and western parts and here in the west they are very pro European.

I would not like to talk much about this here.

Yes, you are not ukrainian. Asen is neither russian, nor ikrainian name. But Bulgarian. Yes, in Ukraina is bulgarian minority, Kiev is bulgarian build city (long, long in the past).
From my opinion the problem in Ukraine is not russians, but khazarians. Crimea is russian - the khazarian ussr leader Chruschev gave it to Ukraine long ago and bring there from exile the tatars. The gologomor was khazarian made.
Am I right Asen?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

kx12x
reply to post by ImpossibilityOfReason

And so it begins... Hold on to your tin foil hats people.

Honestly though, I think at worst this might turn into be Russia/east Ukraine vs EU/west Ukraine with the US most likely only being in a support role for EU.

Then again, thats what we were doing before WWII, also.
edit on 1-3-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

No way Russia is going to entertain concessions here. They have publicly stated they want things back to "normal" in Ukraine. I have heard other posters mention the idea of an East/West split of Ukraine... Really?

Russia watched Libya fall via satellite, they know exactly what is happening in Syria. They know what is going on in Ukraine. I don't think Russia is going to give an inch. It might make them look bad but it is better than the alternative. There will be NO "rebel" forces is Ukraine. That much you can bet on.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Respect Ukrainian independence and sovereignty within its existing borders.
Refrain from the threat or use of force against Ukraine.
Refrain from using economic pressure on Ukraine in order to influence its politics.
Seek United Nations Security Council action if nuclear weapons are used against Ukraine.
Refrain from the use of nuclear arms against Ukraine.
Consult with one another if questions arise regarding these commitments.

Looks as though Russia has decided to overlook some of these and do as they please.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
people need to look at the big picture these demonstrations were originally about closer ties to europe, the west has been proven to have financed these far right groups and to a lesser extent given them training, the real result america wants is a repeat of the georgia situation, they want the surrounding countries bordering on russia to join nato ,once that happens nato puts bases with nuclear missiles aimed at russia all around its borders.......that for any country is totally unacceptable, and once again the west has proved as in syria and libya they used al qaeda with no sense of hypocrisy as in the ukraine they are using fascists and neo nazis, putin need to stand firm and if its war it needs to be war.
edit on 1-3-2014 by surfin4 because: revision

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Here in my city people are now starting to gather in the city center to protest the Russian Declaration of war.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

asen_y2k
Here in my city people are now starting to gather in the city center to protest the Russian Declaration of war.

Thank you for the current events, Asen. Is there a live streaming link, you could post for tracking this?

Thank you again...and please, you and your wife stay safe.

Des

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just wanted to chime in here and post the obviuos... Putin takes action and the US again just takes notes and spew out hot air.

Thanks and have a nice day.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Turchynov(acting PM): National Security Council has decided to lead the Armed Forces in full combat readiness

National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine decided to bring Ukraine's armed forces in full combat readiness
This was announced by Acting President Alexander Turchinov during a press conference after a meeting of the National Security Council.
"Also decided to strengthen the protection of plants and other critical infrastructure," - said Turchinov.
Also, the National Security Council, he said, has developed a "detailed plan of action in case of direct military aggression by Russia."
However Turchynov appealed to the Ukrainian "forget who left who is right, forget the strife."
"We all Ukrainian, we unite around the state, to avoid provocation, keep the faith and confidence in our future."

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Looks as though Russia has decided to overlook some of these and do as they please.

Not unlike what made a little island in the Caribbean important to have in a history book. Recall the reasons for the US invasion of Grenada? That wasn't even a US Naval base at stake. Sevastopol is a key strategic Russian naval port and facility they could first be called paranoid or using excuses to react to threat with. Then, Kiev outright said they'd rethink the existing treaty and perhaps evict them.

How would the US take to losing Guam or the facilities at Okinawa or in South Korea simply as the result of a forcible change in central Government and virtually no notice/warning? I'm guessing a U.S. Military Base would become what it really *IS*, rather than a big P.R. Happy Face and armed community center, how so many want to try and look to communities. We'd do what the Russians are doing....at least, perhaps, to the point it's happened now. I don't know what happens out from this....

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Just wondering if you have the ability to take photos or possibly a video of this new event?

I understand if you don't feel safe to do that, but you would be scooping any news source out there, also stay safe..

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

What general part of the Ukraine are you in, the East or West?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Do you think they will be chicken in Kiev?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Turchynov(acting PM): National Security Council has decided to lead the Armed Forces in full combat readiness

I think everyone should step back, and realize that this is a very important step in this historical event. I've been waiting for this to happen, and now...things are going to escalate very quickly. Expect Russian troop movements, and retaliatory movements to this...

edit on 1-3-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MALBOSIA

It doesn't really matter what Russia will entertain, If EU doesn't like Russia intervening in the Ukraine and what they are doing there. There are still plenty of EU supporters in the Ukraine that I'm sure aren't too happy about Russia stepping in. The pro-EU protesters aren't going to just disappear, it depends on how Russia handles that situation to whether or not EU/NATO would get involved.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join