It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 552
<< 549  550  551    553  554  555 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutzy

What Russia is doing is trying to once again circumvent the Presidential elections. The Ukraine constitution requires elections to be held within 90 days. Any delays will violate that portion.

Then there would be step 2 by Russia. Since the elections would be held beyond the time allowed by the Constitution, Russia could then argue the government is invalid because the election itself violated the Constitution.

link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I think Putin's motives are much more simple. He does not want NATO and western control and influence to dominate in Ukraine.

How far will he go to assert Russian dominance?

Remains to be seen.

I also believe he strongly desires to eliminate all NATO and western influence from not just Ukraine, but from all of eastern Europe.

IMO

link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

In this day and age? I highly doubt that tbh, Russia is making serious money with their GAS monopoly over Europe. Why risk that? For a lot more mouths to feed? ( annexed country's).

That is exactly what sane people thought on the verge of the First World War. Europe was tightly bound by mutual trade, and America and Russia were Europe's breadbasket.

If you think about it, Putin is a master chess player, every outcome would be the same, bad for Russia. No smart person could see a war scenario end well.

Putin was not counting on a war. He did not believe NATO would ever call his bluff, and that all of Eastern Ukraine would flock to his banner. Unfortunately, his intelligence services are probably reminding him that Ukraine is exactly where NATO must make a stand if Russia deploys its troops openly. Also, unfortunately, he cannot be certain that the anti-Kiyev militants will necessarily opt for union with Russia if left to their own devices. After all, why be a self appointed mayor when you can be a self appointed governor... or president? Eastern Ukraine might become balkanized if Russia does not impose unity on it militarily. A balkanized Eastern Ukraine would be the worst possible outcome for him: three or four "independent republics" negotiating separately to collect "transit fees" for Russian goods or soldiers traveling through them.

Seems like such an odd thing to do given Russia's position.

Putin believed his own hype. Never believe your own hype.

edit on 5-5-2014 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

The map is compiled by Eurostat.
I fail to see MASS UNEMPLOYMENT RATES in Europe in the last year.
Greece and Spain have over 20%, but that is about it...

edit on Monu3112414 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Interesting comments , good read, well we will see soon enough, I can't imagine this going on for another month or so, 2 weeks ago it where rocks, then Molotov cocktails, today missiles.

Something's bound to happen, lets hope it can be quarantined.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ALoveSupreme
Not sure how this does would not constitute an invasion:

@StateOfUkraine

#Photo of foreign fighters in #Sloviansk #Ukraine (likely Chechens)

They are invading with Ural Motorcycles!
This invasion might take a while.

I can joke about Urals since I own one.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkorange
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

I am from this planet and have an extensive background in PR with large consortiums who conduct business here in Dubai, particularly those operated by Russian nationals. I also know the history of Russia and Ukraine pretty extensively as it formed part of my university studies. For instance, if you take a careful look at Alfa-Group or Rosneft you will start to understand the financial holdings which bind Western corporations to the Kremlin.
edit on Mon May 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: PLEASE READ www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dutzy

The map is compiled by Eurostat.
I fail to see MASS UNEMPLOYMENT RATES in Europe in the last year.
Greece and Spain have over 20%, but that is about it...

As not surprising your defending the EU as a whole that was expected.

I fail to see MASS UNEMPLOYMENT RATES in Europe in the last year

You will fail to see MASS UNEMPLOYMENT RATES in Europe in the last year if your actually citing that map from which ever news outlet or from the EU's own site.

Greece and Spain have over 20%, but that is about it

Nope not just Greece, Nor Spain.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Oh by the way Since Croatia as now joined the failing EU as a Member your map miss out Croatia with its ever growing 20% unemployment rate, i am sure the IMF are ready with there bailouts.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

This is one of the mindsets I have an issue with.

While Poland and the Baltic states are members of NATO, they do not host NATO bases. NATO specifically made that decision out of consideration of Russia.

NATO cycles aircraft through the Baltic states since those nations don't have their own air forces.

The current troop deployments are exercises involving 13 NATO nations. I don't think there is anything wrong with displaying capabilities so long as they are displays. Being a member of NATO does not require the nation to host NATO bases.

I would point out that the UN Charter requires member nations to make military assets available for certain missions (peacekeeping / intervention / war (Korea). Every single nation around Russia are all UN members yet I don't see him arguing that point. I don't see the nations surrounding Russia making the argument to the UN either.

Countries have their own militaries and foreign relation goals. For Russia to tell other sovereign nations who they can and cannot work with is over stepping their bounds. I say that because in the reverse Russia would should object.

Putin's actions are having the opposite effect and for some reason, based on my opinion / observation, I really don't think he sees that. He is not happy about NATO and proximity to Russia - that's fine. However you don't go and throw a war, only to get pissed because NATO countries are nervous and want assistance from other members.

his actions are akin to Tina Turner rolling over in her bed and telling Ike Turner - Hit me again and this time put some stank on it..

The other exception I have is this need for Russia to think they have a right to know what the militaries of their neighbors are doing. Russia has demanded information several times over the last few months while telling the EU/West/NATO that Russian troop movements inside their own border are no ones concerns but Russia.

That mentality irks me.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Video footage of fighting today outside Slavyansk from pro-Russian separatist side:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Croatia joined the EU on the 1st of July 2013, so it isn't included, and, yes, Croatia had 21.1% unemployment rate at the end of last year, I won't argue against that.

link   
Ukrainian army prepares to conduct operations in Slavyansk this morning:

link   

I think Putin's motives are much more simple. He does not want NATO and western control and influence to dominate in Ukraine.

Only Russia.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: Xcathdra

How far will he go to assert Russian dominance?

Remains to be seen.

I also believe he strongly desires to eliminate all NATO and western influence from not just Ukraine, but from all of eastern Europe.

IMO

It would be a "massive blunder" if Putin tries to finger any of the NATO nations in order to remove them from the NATO membership. "Near abroad" is where he should focus in keeping NATO away.

Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova etc. are better off not joining the NATO or face up some serious geo-political tug of war and become "destroyed battlegrounds" in a hurry.

Russia spends mere $100B more in buying some new grade weapons and NATO will get serious "anxiety pangs" in its belly. Earn the respect, not demand for one.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Only Russia.

Well he is Russian after all, if you lived in that part of the world would you want NATO or western influenced countries trying to surround your boarders? especially after NATO has declared Russia the enemy? Have a think about that one.
edit on 5-5-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

So again for you to claim that EU doesn't have mass unmploment i wouldn't argue against that. Unless your watching news outlets that are claiming everywhere is recovery channel.

For the majority of the people in Europe dont buy the recovery.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I fail to see the actual conclusion of your post to which I replied, as well as that of your reply to mine...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

You know for well what i had just posted, as i replied at you from your other post.

So again for you to claim that EU doesn't have mass unmploment i wouldn't argue against that.

Do it read again.

top topics

<< 549  550  551    553  554  555 >>

join