It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 537
<< 534  535  536    538  539  540 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yes, Putin's plan has failed miserably. All that it has accomplished is in fact the exact opposite of what Putin wanted.

The majority of users would seem to disagree with you Xcathdra on that.

Non NATO countries are looking at possibly joining (Finland for starters).

Why not just say that Serbia are looking at possibly joining NATO and Switzerland?

The OSCE called them out.

The same OSCE that were working along side your beloved Ukrainian fascists.

Moldova signed an affiliation agreement with the EU.

An affiliation agreement with the EU the same EU deal that your beloved Unelected government of Ukraine signed just recently and also.

Moldova wants to join EU in 2019

By that year Xcathdra there wouldn't be an EU Union.

Europe is looking at other sources for energy.

Oh i am quite sure they are like there beloved Qatar and Saudi Arabia?

NATO has moved forces into NATO countries.

I am quite sure the Russians are very scared, of the evil fascist NATO. Its clear that your still watching CNN.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorT

@TarasKuzio: Turkey (not surprisingly) is intervening in Russia on behalf of the Tatars. There are up to 3 mn Tatars in Turkey. t.co...
Turkey has said it will intervene if Russia mistreats Tatars. I hope they do.

Didn't Turkey claimed that they would intervene into Syria to? how can they intervene into Ukraine when Ukraine is not business of there own.

Turkey has lot of issues they should worry at Home.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
For a better understanding of the situation in E Ukraine let's take a look at their neighbor, Russia, and compare the 2 situations with actions taken by each side:
www.themoscowtimes.com...

Thousands of Crimean Tatars on Saturday responded to news that their spiritual leader had been banned from the peninsula by blocking several highways in a tense standoff with riot police — the first sign that the Muslim ethnic group's discontent with Russian authorities may lead to turmoil.

On Saturday, Crimean authorities promised to dish out criminal charges to the group, which numbered about five thousand, according to the BBC Russian service. The group broke through border posts near the city of Armyansk and crossed the border into the buffer zone between Ukraine and the Crimean peninsula to meet Mustafa Dzhemilev, former head of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis, the ethnic group's representative body.

The group blocked several highways near Simferopol, Bakhchysarai, Stary Krym, Yevpatoriya and Oktyabrskoye, Interfax-Ukraine reported.

The incident seems to vindicate analysts' earlier warnings that the Muslim ethnic group's disaffection with Russian authorities may lead to instability in the region. Many Crimean Tatars, who account for more than 10 percent of the Crimean peninsula's population, opposed the territory's annexation by Russia in March.

"Before the annexation many predicted that Crimean Tatars would become a headache for Russians, and now the head is already aching," said Alexei Malashenko, an Islamic studies expert at the Carnegie Moscow Center.

Malashenko warned that such protests could eventually destabilize Crimea, adding that some Crimean Tatars had already joined the Hizb-ut-Tahrir Islamist organization and even fought in Syria.

He attributed the strained ties between Crimean Tatars and Russia to "bad blood" left over from Nazi Germany, when some Crimean Tatars collaborated with Germany during its occupation of the peninsula in 1942 to 1943, and Stalin used this as an excuse for deporting the entire group to Uzbekistan in 1944.

Crimean authorities were quick to demonstrate that they would not tolerate such disorder, however.

Natalya Poklonskaya, the prosecutor of Crimea, said at a news conference Saturday that she had sent requests to the Investigative Committee and Federal Security Service to open criminal cases against the protesters, Ekho Moskvy radio reported.

Dzhemilev, a former Soviet dissident, headed the Mejlis from 1991 to 2013 and is currently a member of Ukraine's Supreme Rada and an ally of Ukrainian politician Yulia Tymoshenko's Fatherland party. He has been a vocal critic of Russia's takeover of Crimea.

Sergei Aksyonov, acting head of Crimea, said Friday that Dzhemilev was not welcome on the peninsula.

"This man has undoubtedly been instructed by Western intelligence agencies to destabilize the situation," Aksyonov wrote on Facebook. "We will not allow peace and stability to be broken. We will not let in anyone who is coming to us with bad intentions."

Dzhemilev told Interfax-Ukraine on Friday that he had also been banned from entering Russia at Sheremetyevo Airport when he tried to fly there by plane.

The Crimean Tatar Mejlis said on April 22 that Dzhemilev had been given a notice banning him from Russia for five years when he left Crimea for Ukraine but Russia's Federal Migration Service later denied it.

Dzhemilev criticized Crimean authorities' decision to ban him on Saturday and mockingly called Crimea an "area of Russian democracy."

"This is outrageous when some people are allowed to enter their homeland, and others are not," he said at the Russian-Ukrainian border, Ukrinform reported.

Dzhemilev also told Ukraine's Channel 5 on Saturday that Turkish authorities would assist him in regaining entry to Crimea.

Russian authorities have made some concessions to Crimean Tatars, however.

In March, Aksyonov offered Crimean Tatars the position of a deputy prime minister, two ministerial portfolios and the posts of deputy ministers. In April, President Vladimir Putin also signed a decree to rehabilitate the ethnic group, repealing Stalin's repressive policy against Crimean Tatars, while Crimean Tatar was made an official language on the peninsula.

Refat Chubarov, the current leader of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis, is seen as more moderate and willing to cooperate with Russian authorities than Dzhemilev.

"It will be hard for him to work for both sides," Malashenko said. "If he cooperates with Russia, he will not be popular among Crimean Tatars."

www.newsru.com...

First deputy chairman of the Duma Committee on Public Associations and Religious Organizations Mikhail Markelov site "United Russia" has proposed to exclude from the Duma deputies who vote wrong. Markelov said that in the current situation, two deputies - Dmitry Gudkov and Ilya Ponomarev - "betraying national interests." And colleagues, no matter what it takes, just have to deprive these people of mandates.

Ponomarev has consistently opposed the annexation of Crimea to Russia and refuses to hand over the mandate. Markelov believes that such a position at the present time - a "serious violation and a crime" and renegades not pass mandates for fear of losing parliamentary immunity. Now Gudkov and Ponomarev supporting official Kiev, "do not reflect the views of any of the Russian parliament, nor in fact of" Fair Russia ".

Markelov also said that "all legitimate diplomatic efforts to resolve the crisis, which escalated into a war exhausted" and Ukraine is waiting for the fate of Yugoslavia "in the worst-case scenario." Current "Nazi leadership" of Ukraine, he proposed to judge at the Hague Tribunal for example Slobodan Miloshivicha and Ratko Mladic.

The court, according to United Russia must wait Acting President Turchinova premiere Yatsenuk presidential candidate Yulia Tymoshenko "and all those who are still going to the polls by the neo-Nazis." A leader of the "right sector" Dmitry Markelov Yarosh offered "not simply declare the international wanted list, and put in front of all the special services the purpose of his physical liquidation, as it was in his time with bin Laden."

According to Markelov, there is no question that the political conflict in Ukraine; "it - the destruction of their own people." Moreover, he said, it is about the whole system for the destruction of the south-east of Ukraine, according to ITAR-TASS.

As for Russia's position, then, according to the deputy, Moscow difficult to make unique solutions, as the West is interested to involve Russia in armed confrontation. Markelov called "use all possible mechanisms to help people who are in a situation close to extermination."

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

@JohninJerusalem: Some pro-federalization activists at today's 'protest' carrying Kalashnikovs openly - Donetsk now in a new phase. #Ukraine
Further reports of pro-Kremlin soldiers/militia/thugs carrying firearms.

I have seen plenty of firearms by your beloved peaceful Ukrainian Kiev Peacefully protesters carrying fire arms during the protests in Nov and just recently.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

@StateOfUkraine: Defense Minister Roberta Pinotti: #Italy is ready to send peacekeepers to #Ukraine to ensure stability in the country t.co...
King Vlad won't like this.

I am Sure Putin is very scared of Italy that has at least half nearly entire population out of work. And unemployment rate in Italy is at highest. And also that tweet the claim that Italy would be sending peacekeepers to Ukraine is from StateOfUkraine? i am sure they are very reliable, after the armed coup in Kiev.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Ukraine Situation 'Worse and Worse,' Peskov Says

Two very important things that I saw in this article. One:

Sergei Mironov, leader of the A Just Russia Party, one of four parties elected to the State Duma, called for Russian troops to cross the border with Ukraine.

This means that there are calls from within the government, even heads of parties in the Russian version of Congress (from my understanding), to send Russian troops into the Ukrainian east, and it means that Putin is likely the "cool head" in his government.

Two:

"I believe it is practically impossible that Russia will send its forces to Ukraine in the coming days, but if an independent Donetsk republic is established as a result of the referendum, then we will be in a new situation," Bunin said by phone from the Greek island of Crete.

We now have a time line for possible action by Russia into Eastern Ukraine. If many more things like Odessa happen, the mostly neutral citizens (from what I can see) within the Donetsk region may have a change of heart.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AnIntellectualRedneck

Well said and if Russia were to send troops to Ukraine what would NATO and EU bomb those troops with there F/16s? if they do that that would start a war with Russia and no one i repeat no one will win.

But i believe thats what NATO is waiting for its a waiting game now. But the Russians know what NATO would rather do.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

While I frankly believe that Yakunovich was a corrupt little Russian puppet, the people in charge of Kiev now are no better. What's more, it's becoming very clear to me that, while the majority of the people that have been labeled "pro-maiden" and "pro-russian" are in no wise really very violent or shady, the pro-maidens have a lot of extreme rightists at the helm that are inciting violence and the pro-russians had help from Russian somebodies to take as many buildings as they did with such relatively few numbers.

My belief is that neither side is lily white in this, but my concern is how this plays out for the civilians in the crossfire of the two posturing powers and also how this could be the start of much bigger geopolitical crises. The flames that have looked to be started half a dozen a times in the past several years look to finally be igniting.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The WAR for the Ukraine: What’s the real story?

www.timebomb2000.com...

The European Union was created to function as a 2nd Superpower after the USA; then Russia and China and India could be marginalized, or at least more easily controlled, so they thought.

The truth be told, this was the very purpose behind the European Union. Creating the largest economic bloc of nations in the world, with the full force of NATO behind it, was the central organizing principle of the EU. Although there are many others, constructing a new unified military power and economic powerhouse is why the European Union was formed in the first place. The EU now serves as a rather monolithic force in matters of negotiation within the economic and financial realms, as well as in matters of war and other geopolitical conflicts. However, the EU takes orders begrudgingly from Washington as a thoroughly passive-aggressive partner, just as each member nation responds to unwanted dictates from Brussels.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Skirmishes taking place again in Sloviansk:

www.unian.ua...

Today, May 5th, the morning began fighting near the TV tower in Slavic, reports TSN. Morning.

Information about the armed conflict confirms TSN correspondent, but not yet proven data wounded or killed during the shooting.

Recall the night in Slavic passed quietly enough, but two checkpoints happened minor skirmish. Information on injuries or fatalities on both sides do not yet have.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
National Poll: Ukrainians Oppose Russia and Want to Join the EU

On the question of national unity, two-thirds of Ukrainians think that Ukraine should remain a united, unitary state. Eastern Ukraine's population does have a view slightly different than the rest of the country – 35 percent want to live in a federal state and 40 percent support a unitary Ukraine.
Interestingly, while 54 percent of all Ukrainians have a desire to join the EU, only 27 percent of eastern Ukrainians want stronger ties with the EU. However, 57 percent of all Ukrainians and 29 percent of eastern Ukrainians are opposed to Ukraine joining the Customs Union with Russia.

The article goes on to say that it shows the general pro-EU bend of the Ukrainian population. In general, I would agree. However, to me, it more than anything shows the wide difference of opinion between the west and east and helps me understand a bit better about the events that are currently happening within the country.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Interestingly, while 54 percent of all Ukrainians have a desire to join the EU

And the majority of this poll as being taken in western ukraine where the fascist have there party members HQ there.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Well, perhaps not the language that I would use to describe the situation, but, yes, that is basically my suspicion as well.

In any case:

Euromaidan PR twitter

PrivatBank closes branches in #Donetsk, #Lugansk regions 2avoid threat to staff, clients from armed assailants.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agent_USA_Supporter
The majority of users would seem to disagree with you Xcathdra on that.

Its not a popularity contest. And when people are exposed to only limited sources to obtain information it can lead to inflated results / views towards certain issues. In this case we are seeing that.

Why not just say that Serbia are looking at possibly joining NATO and Switzerland?

This makes no sense so im not sure what you are trying to say.

The same OSCE that were working along side your beloved Ukrainian fascists.

They are not my fascists and the more you and the other people understand that the better chance we can have an actual discussion / debate instead of resorting to name calling and behaving like a child.

Secondly - feel free to post evidence all non pro Russian Ukrainians are fascist. Since you have been incapable of actually defining who you are referring to when you use fascist, I am assuming you mean all Ukrainians/all peoples who don't support separatists.

So which is it - All people are fascists, only those who don't agree with your point of view? Only when its convenient to disparage a person because you cant refute their facts? what?

An affiliation agreement with the EU the same EU deal that your beloved Unelected government of Ukraine signed just recently and also.

The very agreements I believe you and other pro Russians have consistently railed against. Something Russia also had issues with. A nation with its own issues of Russia interfering in its internal affairs.

Moldova wants to join EU in 2019

By that year Xcathdra there wouldn't be an EU Union.

Why is that?

Oh i am quite sure they are like there beloved Qatar and Saudi Arabia?

Sure.. as well as their own possible sources among others.

I am quite sure the Russians are very scared, of the evil fascist NATO. Its clear that your still watching CNN.

And its clear you are once again assuming something is one thing when its not. At least NATO announces its military movements and doesn't lie like Russia has been with its own military deployments.

As I stated.. Russia/Putin has failed miserably. The very fact yours/other peoples responses are nothing but dismissals with absolutely nothing to show others furthers proves that point.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Turkey has responded to Syrian military activity near their borders and have accepted refugees. They have also tried to mediate the dispute. Contrary to popular belief intervention does not mean sending in the military.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
So, um, this is how serious things are getting:

link

Price on my head now set at $10,000. pic.twitter.com/WZHIejKIwc

He is a journalist in the Ukraine. I believe that he works for RT, so there's that, and he has come out as openly pro-Russian. But, yes, it looks as though somebody put a bounty on the head of a journalist. I do hope that this is just some sick joke or perhaps some propaganda.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

As I have stated time and again...

Hitle.. err Putin must act by May 11th, which is the date of the illegal referendum.

When Kiev agreed to the referendum it put Russia in a spin since Ukraine was not supposed to do that. Russia cannot allow the referendum to occur on the same day as the presidential elections because they A - cant control the outcome / intimidate voters and B - a referendum for autonomy must be a nationwide vote.

Secondly, unlike Crimea, Russia cant send in its military incognito into the South and East.

It brings it back around full circle to one simple conclusion -

Russia/Putin will either invade and go from there.
or
Russia/Putin will stand down, in which case Putin is done.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Well said and if Russia were to send troops to Ukraine what would NATO and EU bomb those troops with there F/16s? if they do that that would start a war with Russia and no one i repeat no one will win.

But i believe thats what NATO is waiting for its a waiting game now. But the Russians know what NATO would rather do.

Naaw maaaan... We would use our cosmic weapons.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

@TarasKuzio: Turkey (not surprisingly) is intervening in Russia on behalf of the Tatars. There are up to 3 mn Tatars in Turkey. t.co...
Turkey has said it will intervene if Russia mistreats Tatars. I hope they do.

Didn't Turkey claimed that they would intervene into Syria to? how can they intervene into Ukraine when Ukraine is not business of there own.

Turkey has lot of issues they should worry at Home.
If you don't understand the historical links between Tatars and Turkey there is no point in entering a debate with you.
edit on 5-5-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 534  535  536    538  539  540 >>

join