It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 485
<< 482  483  484    486  487  488 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I found this kind of funny and i mean really think about it another country trying to tell you where you can have troops. And to make matters worse currently there looting and just in general no law in the area but thats preferable to people coming in to restore law to the area. I guess it makes it easier for his upcoming invasion.

MOSCOW — President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia told Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany on Thursday that Ukraine must remove its military from the southeastern region of the country to resolve the showdown there with pro-Russian militants who have seized several official buildings, the Kremlin said.

And so the war begins once a draft starts thats a major commitment to armed conflict.

On Thursday, Mr. Turchynov issued a decree reinstating military conscription, saying men 18 and above who have not reached their 25th birthday will be drafted. The decree, which is unlikely to have any immediate effect on Kiev’s efforts to bolster security, said the move was intended to halt the deterioration of public order, prevent the seizure of more state buildings and maintain the armed forces — estimated nationally to total no more than 70,000 men — in “the highest state of readiness for combat.” It did not specify the length of service.

How does this work well no were not in eastern Ukraines but please free my people you caught??

“The chancellor reminded President Putin of Russia’s responsibility as a member of the O.S.C.E. and called on the president to use his influence,” Ms. Wirtz said in a statement. The conversation was initiated by Ms. Merkel, the Kremlin said.

In a report from the Russian news agency Interfax, the pro-Russian movement in Slovyansk said it had freed two of three captured members of the Ukrainian security services in exchange for the release of an unspecified number of its own activists.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 5/1/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Russia doesnt get the fact its scaring all its neighbors.

NATO to consider Georgia’s offer to host defensive systems

World May 01, 18:41 UTC+4
The offer was made by Georgian Defense Minister Irakly Alasania at an international conference entitled “Europe Whole and Free”

en.itar-tass.com...
edit on 5/1/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
PaulaSlier_RT ‏@PaulaSlier_RT 4h
Still hearing rumours that #RightSector units are in #Donetsk and #slaviansk and #Lugansk and planning to storm tomorrow
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
ThePunisher ‏@7h3Pun15h3r 4h
@PaulaSlier_RT which time?
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
PaulaSlier_RT ‏@PaulaSlier_RT 4h
@7h3Pun15h3r
now if I knew that ....
Hide conversation

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This is incredibly interesting there is a reason Russia is very reluctant to invade Ukraine.

www.rusi.org...:C53628C52C2519/#.U2LgyvldUnq

The city of Slavyansk in eastern Ukraine has a symbolic value in bearing the generic name of the Slavic peoples of both Russia and Ukraine. But there are hard strategic reasons why this small city has become the new focus of the Ukrainian crisis over recent days. It is at the centre of an escalating game of deterrence that both Kiev and Moscow are playing against each other.

In the event of a conventional Russian military invasion of the territories of eastern Ukraine it is highly unlikely that Kiev’s troops could do more than buy a certain amount of time. In any direct military confrontation Ukrainian forces would lose. That does not mean, however, that the government in Kiev is without any military cards to play.

Kiev knows that it has a strategic reserve of Kalashnikov assault rifles and other light weapons stored in Ukraine as a mobilisation reserve dating back to Soviet times. It has hinted quietly but strongly in back channels between Ukrainian and Russian military establishments that it might be prepared to open this strategic reserve of weapons to an eastern Ukrainian population prepared to resist any Russian military incursions. Since the stockpile consists of up to five million weapons, the prospect would be a nightmare for Russian military planners if they realistically prepared to move into eastern areas of Ukraine. The prospect of civil war and an anti-Russian insurgency on an unprecedented scale with unpredictable consequences represents a real – if extremely dangerous – bargaining chip for Kiev.

The stark fact is that at least half the strategic stockpile of light weapons on Ukrainian territory is concentrated near Slavyansk.

This explains many of the manoeuvres around this small and otherwise unimportant city. On 24 April Ukrainian authorities re-launched their ‘counter-terrorist operation’ against Russian separatists who had occupied key areas to restore Kiev’s control over Slavyansk. In a coordinated response Russian forces edged closer to the Ukrainian border in such a way as to threaten a territorial incursion to support the separatists. This Russian move was dangerous but had the desired effect when the Ukrainian counter-terrorist operation was immediately halted by Kiev. It was an interesting standoff between two sides threatening each other with their adversary’s worst fears.

Cutting off Kiev’s Strategic Weapons Reserve

Such a standoff has illuminated a number of strategic factors. The multiple seizures of government buildings in eastern Ukraine, not just in Slavyansk but also in Konstantinovka in Donetsk Oblast are aimed to make it impossible for Ukrainian forces to fully control the territory and, in effect, to cut it off from its strategic stockpile of light arms which are the essence of Kiev’s present deterrent posture.

Whereas symbolic government buildings in other cities might be occupied by Russian separatists for political and symbolic reasons, in Slavyansk the separatists effectively control the whole city and the immediate surrounding area. They have physical control over the strategic weapons reserve.

Certainly, there is evidence of instructions to Russian military personnel prior to their infiltration into Ukraine that the multiple seizures of government buildings and areas across a wide region of eastern Ukraine were explicitly to prevent any concentration among the opposing Ukrainian forces.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorT

originally posted by: NickDC202

originally posted by: ALoveSupreme

It's always amusing to me when the State Department and US media outlets all report war, violence and invasions yet none of them show live video to substantiate these claims. We're getting a lot more wag the dog than truth these days; it's sad how many people are so easily fooled.

It is always amusing to me when people like you attribute such tactics only to Western countries when Russia at this moment is the absolute pinnacle of one plutocratic corruption, state controlled media and censorship.

Let me clarify: In the United States we have grown accustomed to live video to substantiate the claims being made by both government officials and journalists. As technology has enabled one to broadcast live images from anywhere in our solar system, there is no excuse for the complete lack of live video documenting these claims.

To be honest I think there is already so much information available on the internet about what is going on in Ukraine, that they don't need to release anything yet. Even if they did specify what they know you would still get people saying the government are lying so it's a double-edged sword. This thread is full of evidence showing just how Russian Special Forces are orchestrating events in Ukraine. The information isn't just from Western sources (before the pro-Russian posters have a coronary) it has also been provided from people in Ukraine and at times, unwittingly by Russian media themselves.

Nothing about the 3 Billion Dollars of American taxpayer money that was used to stage the unrest in Ukraine?
Nothing about Victoria Nuland handing out pretzels and sandwiches in Kiev?
Nothing about the US Department of State orchestrating the overthrow of a democratically elected government because they were unhappy that President Yanukovych choose the more favourable terms offered by the Russian Federation instead of the 900-page association agreement (loan) with the European Union?

I'm not suggesting that Yanukovych was the bee's knees, but he was the democratically elected President of Ukraine.

The United States continues to bully wherever we like abroad as the hypocrites we elected preach about how bad bullying is at home.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

It's always amusing to me when the State Department and US media outlets all report war, violence and invasions yet none of them show live video to substantiate these claims. We're getting a lot more wag the dog than truth these days; it's sad how many people are so easily fooled.

It is always amusing to me when people like you attribute such tactics only to Western countries when Russia at this moment is the absolute pinnacle of one plutocratic corruption, state controlled media and censorship.

Let me clarify: In the United States we have grown accustomed to live video to substantiate the claims being made by both government officials and journalists. As technology has enabled one to broadcast live images from anywhere in our solar system, there is no excuse for the complete lack of live video documenting these claims.

To be honest I think there is already so much information available on the internet about what is going on in Ukraine, that they don't need to release anything yet. Even if they did specify what they know you would still get people saying the government are lying so it's a double-edged sword. This thread is full of evidence showing just how Russian Special Forces are orchestrating events in Ukraine. The information isn't just from Western sources (before the pro-Russian posters have a coronary) it has also been provided from people in Ukraine and at times, unwittingly by Russian media themselves.

Nothing about the 3 Billion Dollars of American taxpayer money that was used to stage the unrest in Ukraine?
Nothing about the US Department of State orchestrating the overthrow of a democratically elected government because they were unhappy that President Yanukovych choose the more favourable terms offered by the Russian Federation instead of the 900-page association agreement (loan) with the European Union?

I'm not suggesting that Yanukovych was the bee's knees, but he was the democratically elected President of Ukraine.

The United States continues to bully wherever we like abroad as the hypocrites we elected preach about how bad bullying is at home.

Utter nonsense. Euromaidan was not catalyzed or meaningfully helped by the Americans. If only they had possessed the courage to do so. The Euromaidan wherein thousands participated from all over the country (not just western Ukraine) was the result of long corruption culminating in the brutal attack by security forces on peaceful, unarmed student protestors.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Utter nonsense. Euromaidan was not catalyzed or meaningfully helped by the Americans. If only they had possessed the courage to do so. The Euromaidan wherein thousands participated from all over the country (not just western Ukraine) was the result of long corruption culminating in the brutal attack by security forces on peaceful, unarmed student protestors.

3 Billion Dollars buys a lot of protesters...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I admit I am completely astounded by what you claim to be a dearth of video and photographic evidence on Russia's incursions and activities in Ukraine. You either are being disingenuous, are an agent of their active disinformation campaign, or a complete imbecile.

In fact, never before in the history of conflict has a pre-invasion incursion been so well documented. There are new images, even interviews, daily with Cossack mercenaries and GRU spetsnaz taking over buildings in a tactical manner, documented multiple instances of Russian busses carrying in foreign agitators, television and radio stations being incapacitated or switched to Russian state controlled ones.

Even though there has been repeated threats, kidnappings, and beatings of journalists (nothing new for Russians) there have been some western reporters intrepid enough to gather evidence and interviews.

For starters, you might check out the VICE series by Simon Ostrovsky

Here you go — 31 episodes that are pretty unflinching and just show it as it is.
news.vice.com...
edit on 1-5-2014 by ALoveSupreme because: typo as its hard to type on touchscreen with nails

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I admit I am completely astounded by what you claim to be a dearth of video and photographic evidence on Russia's incursions and activities in Ukraine. You either are being disingenuous, are an agent of their active disinformation campaign, or a complete imbecile.

In fact, never before in the history of conflict has a pre-invasion incursion been so well documented. There are new images, even interviews, daily with Cossack mercenaries and GRU spetsnaz taking over buildings in a tactical manner, documented multiple instances of Russian busses carrying in foreign agitators, television and radio stations being incapacitated or switched to Russian state controlled ones.

Even thought there has been repeated threats, kidnappings, and beatings of journalists (nothing new for Russians) there have been some western reporters intrepid enough to gather evidence and interviews.

Here you go — 31 episodes that are pretty unflinching and just show it as it is.
news.vice.com...

Considering Vice's long history of credibility issues, it's odd that you'd offer it as a reputable source.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

True have any proof of said investment? No? I didnt think so you based it off one statement you apparently didnt understand.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That is an insult to the many everyday real Ukrainians that supported Euromaidan.

Just keep on talking about something you know absolutely nothing about.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Potential military operation underway in #sloviansk #ukraine. Helicopters, live fire involved,

We're getting more information that #Sloviansk #Ukraine is being stormed and that heavy armor is being deployed in addition to air power

twitter.com...
edit on 1-5-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

True have any proof of said investment? No? I didnt think so you based it off one statement you apparently didnt understand.

My apologies, it was $5 Billion:
youtu.be...

edit on 5/1/2014 by NickDC202 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Even thought there has been repeated threats, kidnappings, and beatings of journalists (nothing new for Russians) there have been some western reporters intrepid enough to gather evidence and interviews.

news.vice.com...

Considering Vice's long history of credibility issues, it's odd that you'd offer it as a reputable source.

Long history of credibility issues?

Well VICE started out as a music label and underground street scene magazine.

But it has managed to evolve into one of the biggest producers of hard hitting documentaries, sending journalists where other news outlets do not dare. In this recent conflict Simon Ostrovsky was the first journalist to interview the Russian mercenaries in Eastern Ukraine.
edit on 1-5-2014 by ALoveSupreme because: typo as its hard to type on touchscreen with nails

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Victoria Nuland's Admits Washington Has Spent $5 …:
U2fYcHLouXY&

No she did not. The State Department has given around that sum in broader aid to Ukraine.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

news.vice.com...

Long history of credibility issues?

Well VICE started out as a music label and underground street scene magazine.

But it has managed to evolve into one of the biggest produces of hard hitting documentaries, sending journalists where other news outlets do not dare. In this recent conflict Simon Ostrovsky was the first journalist to interview the Russian mercenaries in Eastern Ukraine.

You should really research a source before blindly proclaiming it to be a bastion of credibility.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Victoria Nuland's Admits Washington Has Spent $5 …:
U2fYcHLouXY&

No she did not. The State Department has given around that sum in broader aid to Ukraine.

Be more precise about your facts if you want to be taken seriously.

You might want to let Nuland know that she didn't say what she clearly says in the video.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
"War of words" ramping up as NATO countries plan Comms mission in Ukraine -

NATO Countries Planning Comms Mission in Ukraine

Multiple officials who spoke with U.S. News say planning is underway to bolster the Ukrainian government’s ability to communicate among its security services and broadcast to the general public. The details are still being worked out, including whether this would require troops from NATO countries on the ground in Ukraine to train and support the effort.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

youtu.be...

Since 1991 in fact youll be interested to know about a billion and a half went to helping clean up chernobyl plant. Also there were investments in schools and electric plants. In fact made the same kind of investments in the Russian economy trying to help after the soviet collapse they spent far more on Russia but i guess that backfired.

top topics

<< 482  483  484    486  487  488 >>

join