It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 481
<< 478  479  480    482  483  484 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is actually a very good graphic.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: InsideOutcast

And have a look at how many of those corporations have direct contracts with Russia. Heck, Shell just announced a new contract in Russia just this last week.
Thank you for backing up my previous 'rant' post.
Ukraine is 'small fry'.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Belarus is now at risk of losing its independence to Russia
Most Belarusians have a somewhat weaker sense of identity than Ukrainians but they feel Belarusian rather than Russian.

www.newstatesman.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: InsideOutcast

And have a look at how many of those corporations have direct contracts with Russia. Heck, Shell just announced a new contract in Russia just this last week.
Thank you for backing up my previous 'rant' post.
Ukraine is 'small fry'.

Did they really your talking Shell oil company did RT tell you this? Because its my understanding Shell took a hit in the stock market because it had to put its holdings in Europe on the books.Meaning there going to be an expected loss namely Russia if shell is starting to write off Russian interests than it wont be long before they close it down entirely unless things change. Though it will be interesting watching Russia try to export without there equipment and expertise.Because after all thats why they're there in the first place if Russia could have done it on there own they would have cutting out the middle man and making higher profits.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

No RT didn't need to, and I didn't refer to them....I didn't have to.....because....

You really have no idea about how the oil industry works do you?
My father was a director for Shell UK, my ex husband works in the oil industry in Aberdeen. I was an advertising executive representing most of the biggest names in the oil industry and was involved in the worlds 3rd biggest oil expo in Aberdeen. One of my best friends has had oil contracts with the Russians way out in Siberia, I still have many friends involved in the oil industry connected to Russia......so please.....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

For someone apparentlt so well versed in these things, you seem to missing a trick or two.

Firstly, all the projects in which Shell, or BP or whomever are involved with in Russia are minority stakeholders in projects led by Gazprom. The Western companies buy a stake (usually 10-20%) in a firm set up for a particular project and by doing so, inject the capital needed. However, all the drilling etc is done by Gazprom and they just take a share of the profit after the fact - there aren't any Shell, BP or other Western rigs at all in Russia or it's oceans.

Also, the Western firms are now faced with a problem, because if further sanctions are imposed, the so called "stage 3" sanctions, they'd have to make a choice as to whether to continue in Russia or be locked out of the US markets - I think we all know which option they'd choose.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Oh hello Stu...what "utter bollocks", to quote you, when you contradict other posters. Sorry....My personal friend had a one on one contract with the Russians out in Siberia.
And the tales he could tell you about the state of their pipelines.
You know, you so come over as an arrogant sod that preaches that his word is gospel at times....sometimes you are right, but on this occasion you are so wrong.....

edit on 30-4-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

PS...from your article you quoted...

Both BP and Shell said they remain committed to their long-term investments in Russia but are monitoring the situation closely.
Centrica may also have to navigate with care as it launches a three-year gas supply with Gazprom for 7pc of British Gas's supply, to be delivered later this year. Other UK industrial groups also buy from Gazprom and might have to declare "force majeure" on their contracts in extremis.

So who's side are you on then Stu British Petroleum and Deutch Shell or American Exxon Mobile?
edit on 30-4-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: dragonridr

No RT didn't need to, and I didn't refer to them....I didn't have to.....because....

You really have no idea about how the oil industry works do you?
My father was a director for Shell UK, my ex husband works in the oil industry in Aberdeen. I was an advertising executive representing most of the biggest names in the oil industry and was involved in the worlds 3rd biggest oil expo in Aberdeen. One of my best friends has had oil contracts with the Russians way out in Siberia, I still have many friends involved in the oil industry connected to Russia......so please.....

Then you should know how it works but apparently the execs at shell dont quite agree with you odd as that is with your extensive background and all. Maybe you should learn about stocks and how shares work in oil and gas. Also when a company reports things like adding things to the books in oil exploration they do this so they can write off the losses. Meaning Shell is covering their bases and may have to write off the Sakahlin island facility. Which means sell or close it depending.

AMSTERDAM — Royal Dutch Shell says it will not be entering new investments in Russia anytime soon as tensions rise over the country's confrontation with Ukraine.

In its earnings, Shell reported a 45% fall in net profit after it wrote down the book value of refineries in Asia and Europe.

In afternoon trading, its A-shares stock rose 3.3% to $79.04 a share.

Chief Financial Officer Simon Henry said the company, Europe's largest oil company, will continue to oversee its existing operations and will cooperate with any sanctions placed upon Russia by Western powers. Amid the uncertainty, however, it will hold back on starting new projects.AMSTERDAM — Royal Dutch Shell says it will not be entering new investments in Russia anytime soon as tensions rise over the country's confrontation with Ukraine.

In its earnings, Shell reported a 45% fall in net profit after it wrote down the book value of refineries in Asia and Europe.

www.usatoday.com...

Meanwhile, Henry defended a meeting this month between Shell CEO Ben van Beurden and Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying it should not be interpreted as the company taking sides in the Ukrainian crisis. One of Shell's key operations is a gas production and liquefied natural gas, or LNG, plant on Russia's Sakhalin island. Van Beurden and Putin met at the 20th anniversary of Sakhalin's opening, and re-affirmed existing plans to expand the project's capacity.

Back in 2006, the Russian government forced Shell to cede its leading position in the Sakhalin project to state-controlled company Gazprom.

Ps in the future before you give your resume you may want to understand how oil and gas investments work.see companies do whats called long term investments shell as well as BP have stock in in OAO Rosneft and OAO Novatek.(in fact large enough to seriously damage the companies in a sell off). Now the reason Shell stock took a nose dive is partly because of these investment. but the biggest reason is it was developing a liquid natural gas export plant in the Arctic with OAO Novatek. This will have to be put on hold because the sanctions meaning the plant wont get built.See previous article where shell explains they will follow along with the sanctions. This means this will be a large write off for the company.

But in the end writing off billions oil companies do it all the time just on losses from exploration so its really nothing new.
edit on 4/30/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/30/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well the more i explore Ukraine the more it becomes clear how badly coruption runs through the country people are paid to be provocateurs. It appears certain people have turned this into a science as of late. So when you see a group they very well may be being paid to be there. This makes sense i was wondering how pro Russians were able to stand around and play guard. Like when they didnt want the civilians to leave afraid of a counter attack by Ukraine. My thought was dont these people have jobs?

Here read this you get an idea of where im going with this tell me what you think.'

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Interesting - a lot of words but nothing of much substance.

They are merely stakeholders in Russian companies which are majority owned by the State run businesses. They provide a capital injection and, possibly, some expertise, but for all intents and purposes it is a stand off arrangement, kind of like the Chinese investment in the UK's new nuclear power stations. They are providing the capital, but the actual construction and operation is done by UK (or French) firms. The Chinese just take a dividend on the profits in return for stumping up the cash.

EDIT: A link, direct to Shell's own material, where it quite clearly states they are minority stake holders in a joint partnership and that 95% of the workers and some 80% of the equipment is Russian.
edit on 30/4/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
State of Ukraine twitter

#Luhansk witness: local interior troops ready to stop separatists but are stopped by the govt. If this doesn't change we will arm ourselves

This is not surprising at all. Crimea, from my understanding, was overwhelmingly ethnically Russian (something like 70%). The east and southeast, however, are a mixed bag from what I've seen. It makes sense that many ethnic Ukrainians would not want to be separate from Ukraine and that talks of independence, with probably much stronger ties with Russia, are unwelcome.

Of course, this also makes it seem as though a civil war in the East might be forthcoming in the next few weeks to months.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
stateofukraine twitter

Ukrainians citizens resisting: in Rubizhne #Luhansk, local women stopped pro-#Kremlin forces from capturing city hall

Looks like there is at least a little resistance what is going on.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnIntellectualRedneck
stateofukraine twitter

Ukrainians citizens resisting: in Rubizhne #Luhansk, local women stopped pro-#Kremlin forces from capturing city hall

Looks like there is at least a little resistance what is going on.

As things progress we may see more and more from Ukrainians i think to a large extent there trying to just ignore the mess and let Kiev straighten it out. But i think they're beginning to realize thats not going to happen.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnIntellectualRedneck
State of Ukraine twitter

#Luhansk witness: local interior troops ready to stop separatists but are stopped by the govt. If this doesn't change we will arm ourselves

This is not surprising at all. Crimea, from my understanding, was overwhelmingly ethnically Russian (something like 70%). The east and southeast, however, are a mixed bag from what I've seen. It makes sense that many ethnic Ukrainians would not want to be separate from Ukraine and that talks of independence, with probably much stronger ties with Russia, are unwelcome.

Of course, this also makes it seem as though a civil war in the East might be forthcoming in the next few weeks to months.

This is strange wonder what he means by troops. maybe its just the way it was translated.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
An interesting piece has appeared in today's online edition of the UK's Guardian...

www.theguardian.com...

As usual, just like here on ATS, and in this thread especially, the the trolls make concerted efforts to continue to demonize Russia to cheerlead American and Nato expansionist ambitions for Ukraine, and if Ukraine is not enough, we are seeing signs of Western influence in China seeking to undermine Russo-Sino relations...which is the real issue for Western machinations.
edit on 1/5/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Just read this as well apparently the separatists are demanding payment from merchants and stealing cars as well. There running an extortion racket. This kind of proves what i was thinking people with guns scarying the hell out of everyone else.So we have them taking hostages killing politicians arresting journalists stealing cars extorting money. And making demands to the government that sounds like terrorists to me. These people arent a political movement there just taking advantage of no police force. This allows them to take buildings and property as they please.

tsn.ua...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
twitter link

#Russia's media claims that #Ukraine is distributing propagandist leaflets INFECTED WITH MYSTERIOUS NANO-PARTICLES

I've seen this a few times on twitter now. It comes with what is supposedly a picture of a Russian newspaper. Supposedly, the fliers are laced with some kind of chemical that causes tearing eyes and rashes, amongst other things. It's probably propaganda, but if that's the story that's being spun, then it's a pretty serious one.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AnIntellectualRedneck

Really Nano particles? haha i'v seen it all. I don't think Geneva would approve.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is open to interpretation...

@VoiceofRussia: #BREAKING: #Merkel asks #Putin’s help in releasing military observers detained in southeastern #Ukraine - Kremlin t.co...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Donetsk pro-Russian May Day live stream:
www.ustream.tv...

LE:
Kharkiv live stream:
www.ustream.tv...

edit on Thu0000003112014 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 478  479  480    482  483  484 >>

join