It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Furthermore, this reminds me of when a family divorces and now the child/children have to choose a side. I am NOT referring to the Ukranians as children either. It just seems like everyone globally is tugging at them and saying "okay, make up your minds, who are you going home with".

This is so sad 😢

Neither am I siding with either country, it just seems like the Ukraine is at a disadvantage period. If anything jumps off, they're the ones that have the fight at their doorstep. Just a sad sight to see.
edit on 3/2/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Inside the base at Feodosia, word came that the order had come from Kiev that all marines should give up their weapons voluntarily to the Russians. One of the marines then read on Facebook that the news was apparently fake, and rushed off to inform his superiors who were in negotiations with Russians. Many of the marines were on the phone to friends at other bases, asking whether they had been forced to give up their weapons.

At Feodosia, the Russians came back, led by a lieutenant-general and a retired general, for more talks. After meeting the commanders, a group of three dozen officers assembled to be briefed by the Russians. The Guardian was asked to leave the room during the talks, as the Russians refused to speak in front of journalists. Afterwards, the Ukrainians said they had again been asked, "firmly but politely" to give up their weapons, and had again refused.

One marine, carrying his kalashnikov through the grounds of the base late in the evening, did not want to be identified but was happy to share his allegiances. Asked what would happen if, next time, the Russians came with orders rather than requests, the men claimed to have no doubt. "I am Russian myself, I was born there," he said. "But we are professional soldiers and we have given an oath of duty. We will not give up this place without a fight."

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Personally unless Russia goes full total war I think Ukraine have a fighting chance. There armed forces may be only 1/5 the size but then they only have to worry about Russia on there border. Russia has a HUGE land mass surrounded by people that either want to break away or cause trouble like in caucuses and there's a number of land disputes with china. Russia will be limited on what they can bring to bare. To put it in perspective, Russia are spending around the same amount on defense as the UK but they have to defend a land mass 70x the size surrounded by hostile forces. Russia is stretched pretty thin.

Ukraine should be Ukraines issue really, that what there armed forces are for.
edit on 2-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Actually from a military point of view the mission by the Russians has been a complete success so far.
They annexxed Crimea without one shot fired.
They remain calm and are not escalating it yet. They surrounded the Ukrainian soldiers and all seems very professional, like a normal job.
I know war is dirty and if orders come the tide will turn, but so far it all seems pretty professional if you consider that they are not talking to the press, asking the Ukrainians firmly to hand over their weapons etc.
It could have been way more dirty if they would not be so disciplined.

Btw. one think I really want to point out, that they did not try to confiscate video material or hinder the reporters.
edit on 2-3-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

link   
I think the Russians will back down with some kind of
deal on the table.. I really do. If not then Putin's gone Insane.

They would have moved by now.. why wait if you have the advantage.

No they have made their point and will take the rest politically.

Imo

link   
another new video of russian attack helicopters over ukraine,

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 5h4d0wbr0k3r

that smell cgi all around ...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I can only hope as Russia tidy's up the mess in Ukraine that the USA has created it has more information to really damn the USA and all it's manipulation and meddling from 2001 to current.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It is despicable to see the media force people into taking sides and help them keep headlines going for a few weeks. Drudge actually linked an article asking if Obama was a chicken! Are we in third grade and trying to organize a fight after school?

I'm all for freedom of press no matter what the topic happens to be. I'm just sick of the lack of humanity on the part of the media for trying to get war and violence started when it has nothing to do with US sled defense. Anyway, let us all remember how Drudge thinks it is fun to send our kids to die because a president he doesn't like might come off as a "chicken" in his bias eyes so next time he posts some Merry Christmas b.s. we can take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Dolby_X
reply to post by 5h4d0wbr0k3r

that smell cgi all around ...

Pretty much...a cardboard cutout would have been better than that...

Anyway, don't know why someone faked it, is all.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
"Ukraine has acceded to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Ukraine inherited about 5,000 nuclear weapons when it became independent from the Soviet Union in 1991, making its nuclear arsenal the third-largest in the world.[60] By 1996, Ukraine had voluntarily disposed of all nuclear weapons within its territory, transferring them to Russia." - Wikipedia

Bad move right there Ukraine. Could have had some serious leverage.

On current news, the situation is a bad one. Some kind of physical split of the country might be the only way to resolve this crisis. It has been a long time complaint of Ukrainians from all over. Those who live there and speak the official Ukrainian language, mostly in the west, have been harboring ill will towards those who claim to be Ukrainian but chose to speak nothing but Russian language. In fact those who do speak Russian regularly have now almost all but forgotten Ukrainian. They basically consider themselves Russians. Its the equivalent of Americans speaking British in New York and American English in California. Doesn't seem like a big deal but gets complicated when the New Yorkers begin imposing their British ways on Californians. (Sorry bad example just tough to explain. And nothing against Brits you guys are alright
To sum it up, Ukraine has been part of the USSR in the past but even then its culture and traditions have been uniquely its own.

Stay strong guys and Slava Ukraina.

edit on 2-3-2014 by kushness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

Kudos to Russia. At least they have the honor to declare war before invading. Unlike some countries I live in.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
New head of Ukraine's navy defects in Crimea

BBC LINK

The newly appointed head of Ukraine's navy has sworn allegiance to the Crimea region, in the presence of its unrecognised pro-Russian leader.
edit on 31pm66pmSun, 02 Mar 2014 18:25:46 -060031 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

Drudge and his kind are an embarrassment to the US.

Badly informed, totally sold on pure propaganda nonsense, with a school boys maturity.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

tyranny22
reply to post by asen_y2k

Kudos to Russia. At least they have the honor to declare war before invading. Unlike some countries I live in.

Except for the fact that they didn't do anything of the kind. They snuck into Crimea, which is still a part of the Ukraine. Crimea was going to have an election to become a fully autonomous state, but it hadn't done so, yet. They did just like every other cowardly country, and gave parliamentary approval, after the fact.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

How many countries do you live in?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
North Korea shooting more missiles into their east sea. I think WW3 is right around the corner.

link   

WCmutant
I can only hope as Russia tidy's up the mess in Ukraine that the USA has created it has more information to really damn the USA and all it's manipulation and meddling from 2001 to current.

Would you mind explaining this to me a bit more deeply? What meddling from the US since 2001 are you talking about? We were too busy in Iraq and Afghanistan since then....and Syria, and Libya... when did we have time for Ukraine?

link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

Thanks for the video of the helicopters. In my opinion stuff like this only escalates it. If this were all ground based it would not rile people up as much. The noise alone has a psychological affect which only serves to reinforce the idea of war (threat and fight or flight).

What I want to know is how powerful the Russian military is. We have people saying not powerful at all and others saying they are still a superpower.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I read in years past that after the Cold War ended, the Russians involved themselves more in psychotronic type warfare. Maybe they have had time to regroup since they pulled out of Afghanistan.

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join