It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 477
<< 474  475  476    478  479  480 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Here you might want to see the nuland interview in portugal ill just say shes an airhead.

m.state.gov...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Video showing an attack on an AutoMaidan caravan in Donetsk on April 28th. The action starts around the 1:00 min. mark:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Aftermath of Lugansk prosecutors' office storming by pro-Russians:

LE: Video showing the police in Luhansk leaving the HQ, through a corridor of shame, after being disarmed:

edit on Wed0000003011914 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Jerry Popowicz ‏@JerryPopowicz 37m

Russian Army convoy in field, Myasnikovskiy region, Rostov Oblast near #Ukraine border - April 27 SRC:VK pic.twitter.com/oyCSCBiqoH

pic.twitter.com/oyCSCBiqoH

Jerry Popowicz ‏@JerryPopowicz

Remember all that unloading near Klimovo a month ago? Russian troops settled in at an abandoned airfield. #Ukraine

pic.twitter.com/ZqIFS9Jy2z

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
A pic showing places in Eastern Ukraine where unrest is taking place:

Hans de Vreij ‏@hdevreij 10m

#Ukraine: unrest in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions (total now: 23 towns & cities)

pic.twitter.com/kOGysU7U2x

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Another piece of the puzzle ?
rustelegraph.ru...

St. Petersburg military medics ready to ship to work in Ukraine

By order of the Ministry of Defense in the Military Medical Academy, the Kirov in the morning on April 25 were quickly formed military medical brigades. In team included military doctors of the number of officers and senior cadets WMA. They announced that there is work in the Ukraine.

As confirmed by the "Telegraph" workers of the Academy, on the eve of April 24, at about 22:00 of the Ministry of Defense was ordered urgent formation of medical teams to send them to Ukraine.

At 5:00 am on April 25 physicians were alerted and arrived at the location with a disturbing set of VMA. Since then, the personnel of military medical teams is in the academy.

"Yes, sit and wait. But so far have not sent anyone anywhere, "- said the" Telegraph, "a source in the Naval Academy. Kirov. According to him, while the possibility of sending already postponed several times command.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutzy

To a large extent it amazes me hold bold the Russians are and how meek the Ukrainians are. Wonder if theres a psychological thing at work here. Like the rally over 2000 ukraine's by everything i read a couple of dozen pro russians rushed in and everyone scattered. They have the police scared like in your video you could see the fear on them is Ukrainians just as a general rule the ultimate pacifists? I guess its different but trust me if that kind of stuff was tried in the US lord help them. Thats the hardest concept especially the police force its like they cloned barney fife there not allowed to carry a loaded gun and keep the bullet in there pocket.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

There are several things to take into account regarding the Ukrainian populace meekness:

- after 40-50+ years of living under a communist rule, people, older people in general, are pretty reluctant to actually fighting for what they believe in, because under the communist regime every action or even opinion contrary to the ruling class/party/ideology was savagely deterred by any means necessary: arrests, beatings, imprisonment, permanent surveillance by the Security services and so on;
- as unclear as the situation appears to us, reading and reporting on the events, here on ATS, where we have multiple information sources and being under no sort of immediate danger, for them being smack dab in the middle of the events, things are even more unclear;
- for 40-50 years Ukraine and Russia were part of the SAME country, USSR. So there has to be a certain level of uncertainty as to who supports who, it may be your neighbors supporting the pro-Russians, while you are pro-Ukraine, certainly increasing the threat level towards you;
- the visible divide in the Police ranks and other major institutions adds to the confusion on the ground.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
If im reading this right its saying that Russian banks are refusing to do business in Crimea and still consider it part of Ukraine and refusing all transactions. Does this in any way make sense??

nr2.ru...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

It seems to be referring specifically to Sberbank or "Savings Bank", state-owned bank. But without a proper translation of that wall of text it's kinda difficult to extract the correct ideas from the article.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
jeesh, Kerry is at it again, he should really think twice... trice? before opening that snakepit he call's a mouth.

NATO must return to its original goal of fending off Russia, seizing the chance presented by the Ukrainian crisis to sever Europe from Moscow and move it closer to America, the US secretary of state said. Or else the bloc’s global leadership may be lost.

NATO’s original purpose was to oppose the Communist Soviet Union, giving the West the military backbone to the ideologically-driven stand-off with the East. Kerry described it as “to defend alliance territory and advance trans-Atlantic security.”

Read the expansion of the central banking cartel. And assimilate sovereign country's. Then again same can be said about Russia *shrugs*

“Considering what President Putin is doing right now in Ukraine, it is more important than ever for every NATO ally to spend at least 2 percent of its GDP on defense,” McCain said. “I'm pleased that Lithuania has pledged and is planning to do this, and the sooner you follow through on that commitment the better.”

LOL lemme guess someone has some spare F-35's they need to get rid off? Just what we need in times like this, more spending on defense.
rt.com...

And this:

www.zerohedge.com...

How dare Russia to move troops around on his own land.
edit on thAmerica/Chicago430uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MessageforAll

How dare Russia to move troops around on his own land.

Crimea is not Russia's land.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

The entire situation is debatable, depending on which side of the "barricade" you are.
That part of Kerry's speech you quoted from RT on the original goal of NATO I think is actually correct, despite other information and/or opinions he put out.
The part regarding military spendings is debatable. Several years ago before this entire situation with Ukraine and other parts of the world where different countries are performing military exercises, N Korea, China and others, I would have agreed with you regarding the lack for the need to increase/keep a certain level military spendings, but in the wake of current events I can say that constant evolution of a country's army is a good thing. Also 2% of the GDP of a country isn't that much...
The image depicting NATO troop deployments is kinda old, the Canadians have just sent 6 F/A-18's to Romania, due to arrive in the following days, along with aproximately 200 support servicemen, that are to engage in joint exercises.

Also all the NATO bolstering of troops in E Europe is actually a reaction to events in Ukraine, rather than a factor that caused said events...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutzy

Crimea was part of Ukraine and did not use the ruble. Russian banks cannot figure out what currency it is using now.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Well we all knew defense spending is going to go through the roof over Ukraine. Especially the old eastern Bloc countries when they saw how neglected Ukraine's military is there realizing the disadvantage of not having one. and i kept hoping that eventually militaries would shrink and where for a while but i guess thats history. The problem is when people think there military is stronger this leads to less negotiation and more threats.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Yes yes, I know my opinions aren't very welcome here, the image btw came from ZH just posted yesterday. I assumed it was recent. Most of the time it's very accurate.

Anywho it was an update,

@DJW001 : I wasn't talking about Crimea. The verdict is still out on that one lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

No the article i posted wasnt about currency it was strangely talking about how the bank is abiding by western sanctions on Crimea even though its in Russia. And apparently not allowing any transfers to Crimea. Its very odd to say the least.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Agreed, I thin Russia tends to think it's military is stronger then it is. I believe what DJW001 said at the very beginning that the Russian troops are very de-moralized. ( see reference : if Putin isn't carefull he'l have a coup on his hands ) And that if a WAR would happen they would give up quite fast.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I know. I couldn't figure out why they were doing that based on the article, so I'm guessing they are hesitant to commit to transferring funds to a region where the currency is in flux. The Crimean banking sector is probably in a shambles at the moment.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

From my point of view, a way to counteract military spending going through the roof during a situation similar to the current one in Ukraine was to keep a acceptable constant percentage of the GDP as measure.

Speaking only on my country's situation, this could have meant the development of the existing military equipment factories, money involved in R&D, in order to reduce the dependance on other countries' technologies, development of new factories, which all of them would have meant more jobs, a better prepared population, both civilian and military personnel, on how to react in different types of disaster situations and other effects.

new topics

top topics

<< 474  475  476    478  479  480 >>

join