It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 463
<< 460  461  462    464  465  466 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
found this interesting when you see something like this you have to think there CEO is thinking its time to get out of Russian gas. Always watch what business execs are doing it tells you where there leading there company.

ONDON — European executives, especially in the energy industry, have been notably wary of ratcheting up economic tensions with Russia over the Ukraine crisis. They see their business interests as too intertwined to risk stiffer sanctions.

But few tread a finer line than Paolo Scaroni, chief executive of the Italian energy giant ENI. Despite his long dealings with Gazprom, Russia’s chief supplier of natural gas to Europe, he is willing to risk rankling Moscow by trying to help Ukraine.

The executive recently met in Kiev with the Ukrainian energy minister, Yuri Prodan, to discuss ways to supply more gas to the country from sources other than Gazprom as a way to relax the Russian stranglehold. Besides being Ukraine’s chief source of natural gas, Russia sends gas through pipelines in Ukraine that supply about one-third of Europe’s imports. ENI is the leading distributor of that Gazprom gas.

But ENI, Europe’s fourth-largest energy company, has focused its exploration and production on North and East Africa, and acts mainly as a middleman for Russian gas. And that business has become less profitable in recent years, as various market forces have pushed down the price of gas. That may be one reason ENI is willing to potentially incur Gazprom’s anger by cutting side deals with Ukraine.

Although Gazprom officials have sought to assure the European Union that the company will not cut off gas in response to the tensions over Ukraine, Mr. Scaroni warned that the situation was fragile.

“This is by far the toughest time for European energy security that I have seen,” said Mr. Scaroni. “This issue might stop the supply of Russian gas.”

Under the Slovakian deal announced Sunday, the country plans to retool an old, unused pipeline to conduct so-called reverse flows, sending gas from west to east. Slovakia might be a possible route for ENI, which is studying the issue at the request of the Ukrainian government. The goal is to be able to ship gas to Ukraine at an annual rate of more than three billion cubic meters by the time the heating season begins in the autumn, increasing the flow to up to 10 billion cubic meters annually by next spring. Last year Ukraine imported nearly 30 billion cubic meters of gas, according to a recent report by the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: cm23

originally posted by: dragonridr

“Before we had a pretty well-organized country — life was smooth,” he said, sighing. “Then, within the space of two weeks, one country became another.” He added, “Eto bardak,” using the Russian for bordello and meaning, “This is a mess.”

www.nytimes.com...

I don´t know this man and I don´t know under which circumstances he was chosen and interviewed. Right now we have propaganda from all sides! I prefer the statements of people whom I know personally!

Did you even read the article im guessing not he is just one person they spoke with and they explain why its all in the article including the problems local businesses are having. Your dismissal says alot not everyone in Crimea was dependent on Ukraine but a majority were..

Yes, I read the article! And I´m sticking to my statement! Do you believe everything the media is saying?? Especially in these times where propaganda is running amok (Russian AND western propaganda), I don´t trust any media outlet blindly. You can´t honestly say that I should believe a NY Times article more than people I know personally?!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: cosmonova

What Russian forces in Ukraine? Are you talking about Cossacks, the volunteers in South East?

The Russian military forces currently in Ukraine. The ones who have been captured who are linked to the Russian military. The men with no insignias who were first seen in Crimea who are now in Ukraine.

I do not deny there is a few of them in there, how can I, as one of them confirmed that in Vice News clip I posted.

1, 100, 10000 - They are members of a foreign military whose intent is to stir up issues to justify an overt invasion from Russia. They are present on the orders of Moscow and are executing the game plan Moscow put in place.

Your State Department is trying so hard to make it looks like Russian Special forces are in Ukraine right now. All they have at the end is nothing, no proof. They can lie all they want but it is not working.

Ironic because you are doing exactly what you accuse the State Department of doing. Not to mention your last sentence above has you admitting there are members of the Russian military present. I am not sure who you can state they are present while one sentence later you try to accuse the US of lying about their presence in country.

There is much more Ukrainian police and army personnel who have sided with people against Junta in Kiev.

A matter of dispute since groups of armed men who attack anything that is not Pro Russian. Its not support when the citizens are forced to adopt a Soviet mentality less they be kidnapped, beaten and killed - as we see the Pro Russian forces doing now.

Its been document in Crimea by the UNHCR.

Would you consider them to be Russian troops now?

Ukraine forces that switched side would be traitors in my book and should be considered as part of an invading force by Russia into Ukraine. 4 columns advance towards the city with a 5th column waiting on the inside. The fact they take orders from Moscow make them very much Russian forces, regardless of their nationality.

The German Hessians fought alongside the British during our Revolutionary war. We held Britain accountable for the German elements since they were hired and following their commands and not Germanys.

And dude it is not my history, I am not Russian, please stop that. I will say again, I am not Russian.

Then respectfully research history before crapping all over facts that you just admitted you are not familiar with via not familiar with their history. If you would research that portion it might shed some light on some of these issues you defend without proper respect for the historical reasons why they are problematic and what the end result could be.

ETA - I notice you are not using the quote system since its been changed. On the off chance you did not know, you can put bracket quote bracket in front of the text you want quoted and at the end bracket /quote bracket to get the generic quote feature.

a reply to: dragonridr
Sent you a pm on a different issue.

They are volunteers, period. They are not part of Russian Military Forces. They have not been sent as a part of Russian Military Forces. Russian Ministry of Defence did not send them.
There is no need to send Russian Military Forces as there is plenty of people who are coming on voluntary base.
Cossacs and Russian volunteers were fighting along Serbian side against Bosnian Muslims. They were not a part of organised Russian Forces, they came on their own, to fight for what they think is right. They are not paid to do that.
I believe you guys have problems to understand that.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

What Russian forces in Ukraine? Are you talking about Cossacks, the volunteers in South East?

The Russian military forces currently in Ukraine. The ones who have been captured who are linked to the Russian military. The men with no insignias who were first seen in Crimea who are now in Ukraine.

I do not deny there is a few of them in there, how can I, as one of them confirmed that in Vice News clip I posted.

1, 100, 10000 - They are members of a foreign military whose intent is to stir up issues to justify an overt invasion from Russia. They are present on the orders of Moscow and are executing the game plan Moscow put in place.

Your State Department is trying so hard to make it looks like Russian Special forces are in Ukraine right now. All they have at the end is nothing, no proof. They can lie all they want but it is not working.

Ironic because you are doing exactly what you accuse the State Department of doing. Not to mention your last sentence above has you admitting there are members of the Russian military present. I am not sure who you can state they are present while one sentence later you try to accuse the US of lying about their presence in country.

There is much more Ukrainian police and army personnel who have sided with people against Junta in Kiev.

A matter of dispute since groups of armed men who attack anything that is not Pro Russian. Its not support when the citizens are forced to adopt a Soviet mentality less they be kidnapped, beaten and killed - as we see the Pro Russian forces doing now.

Its been document in Crimea by the UNHCR.

Would you consider them to be Russian troops now?

Ukraine forces that switched side would be traitors in my book and should be considered as part of an invading force by Russia into Ukraine. 4 columns advance towards the city with a 5th column waiting on the inside. The fact they take orders from Moscow make them very much Russian forces, regardless of their nationality.

The German Hessians fought alongside the British during our Revolutionary war. We held Britain accountable for the German elements since they were hired and following their commands and not Germanys.

And dude it is not my history, I am not Russian, please stop that. I will say again, I am not Russian.

Then respectfully research history before crapping all over facts that you just admitted you are not familiar with via not familiar with their history. If you would research that portion it might shed some light on some of these issues you defend without proper respect for the historical reasons why they are problematic and what the end result could be.

ETA - I notice you are not using the quote system since its been changed. On the off chance you did not know, you can put bracket quote bracket in front of the text you want quoted and at the end bracket /quote bracket to get the generic quote feature.

Sent you a pm on a different issue.

Man you are all over the place. What are you talking about, what history? You assumed that I am Russian is all I got.
Can we discuss one thing at the time? Lets start with this history thing? What exactly do you mean by this?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 3m
Swedish MFA confirmed release of Maj.Thomas Johansson- one of 8captive #OSCE officers in #Sloviansk. unian.net... |EMPR News

KyivPost ‏@KyivPost · 5m
Poroshenko: Ukraine will join EU www.kyivpost.com...

English EuroMaidan ‏@EuroMaidanEN · 16m
What's next in #Ukraine? Interview with Petro #Poroshenko by @washingtonpost wapo.st... via

FRANCE 24 ‏@FRANCE24 · 38m
US, EU ready new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine f24.my...

The Moscow Times ‏@MoscowTimes · 40m
Our cartoonist's view of #Russia's new internet censorship law: http://(link tracking not allowed)/1fIkIdx pic.twitter.com/FlYCce0bym

This will cause issues with Russian special forces in Moldova -

Radosław Sikorski ‏@sikorskiradek · 59m
Welcome to Moldovans who, under EaPartnership, can now visit EU without visas/Dzięki PWschodniemu od dziś witamy Mołdawian w Unii bezwizowo.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

They are volunteers, period.

No they aren't, especially when their leaders are Russian military. They are Pro Russians who are assisting Russian special forces wage war inside Ukraine. They are in fact defacto members of the Russian Military. That was onvious when Russian handed out citizenship and military positions to the "volunteers" in Crimea. Who also were Russian military mixed.

They are not part of Russian Military Forces. They have not been sent as a part of Russian Military Forces. Russian Ministry of Defence did not send them.

They are overseen by Russian military officers. They receive support from Russia. They are advancing a Russian game plan.

There is no need to send Russian Military Forces as there is plenty of people who are coming on voluntary base.

Just like the green men with no insignias who were in fact Russian military that invaded Crimea? There are confirmed reports of Russian special forces being captured in Ukraine. So apparently Moscow does not agree with your assessment of no Russian forces / Special forces inside Ukraine.

Cossacs and Russian volunteers were fighting along Serbian side against Bosnian Muslims.

So they were a part of the genocide against Muslims in the former Yugoslavia - check

They were not a part of organised Russian Forces, they came on their own, to fight for what they think is right. They are not paid to do that.

You can try and split hairs all you want while trying to avoid dealing directly with the issue by invoking anything but what's going on in Ukraine, but it will not work. Russia has been caught red handed in Ukraine. Russian military forces have been captured inside Ukraine. Russian special forces have been caught inside Ukraine. Russian special forces have admitted to running the "local volunteers" groups.

I believe you guys have problems to understand that.

I believe you intentionally ignore anything that challenges the story the Russians are trying to pass off as truth. I believe you will go to great lengths to support any side that pits itself against the west.

Nothing in your response deals with the issues. They are nothing but denials you have sated in the past. If you had facts to support your side, you would have posted them. Since there are not facts to support the Russian science fiction version of what's going on, I guess all that is left is denial and obfuscation and hope no one notices.
edit on 28-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I tried to link to the Moscow times cartoon but it didnt work so i went to there site and grabbed ithere it is.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Man you are all over the place. What are you talking about, what history? You assumed that I am Russian is all I got.
Can we discuss one thing at the time? Lets start with this history thing? What exactly do you mean by this?

Actually im not all over the place. That would be you by trying to discuss anything but Russia in Ukraine. You keep trying to invoke Yugoslavia, which is not comparable to this situation, which is why Russia stopped trying to use that as justification.

I don't assume you are Russian so once again you cant refute facts so you attack the poster by making an assumption you cant possibly hope to support in an effort to obfuscate the questions and facts.

As for history - If you are not versed in history on what's being discussed then maybe you should think twice before spouting off on the topic and making accusations you cant support. research / learn and then come back and join in. The thread and what's being discussed might make some more sense and you would not be stuck on one topic at a time.

By the way, by making that comment you once again obfuscated and deflected while trying to spin the response back around into a circular argument. Wont work.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

The Onion - Crimean Voters Excited To Exercise Democracy For Last Time

SIMFEROPOL, UKRAINE—Following yesterday’s referendum in which 97 percent of voters cast ballots in favor of seceding from Ukraine and joining the Russian Federation, Crimean citizens expressed their excitement Monday at participating in the democratic process one final time. “It brought me such great personal joy to head to the polls and, for the last time ever, have my vote tallied and actually mean something,” said local businessman Sergei Petrov of his vote in support of annexation by Russia, echoing the enthusiasm of hundreds of thousands of his fellow Crimeans who proudly took part in their final opportunity to assert their collective will at the ballot box.

“Yesterday was a historic day for Crimea. Our people had a say in their future, and our voices were heard loud and clear, which is extremely special given that it won’t happen again for who knows how long.” At press time, Crimeans were commemorating the vote to become Russian citizens by eagerly watching and reading coverage of the momentous event in the limited handful of sanctioned media sources they now have available to them.

I love the Onion at times.... While tongue in check it certainly drives the point home to the Russians / Pro Russians.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 1m
Separatists' checkpoints were bolstered, grenade launchers appeared at many, mil/ expert Dmytro Tymchuk FB |EMPR #Donetsk

euronews ‏@euronews · 3m
Oil tycoon Khodorkovsky downplays sanctions weapon in Ukraine crisis eurone.ws...

Dmitry Rogozin ‏@DRogozin · 49m
'Association with the EU' will end up in destruction for Moldovans, and devastation for Moldova. (cont) tl.gd...

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 7m
Mil/ at #Kramatorsk airdrome fired on at night, in the morning w/ automatic weapons, grenade launchers.Fought off, no mil/ victims,TymchukFB

KyivPost ‏@KyivPost · 8m
BBC: EU set to intensify Russia sanctions www.kyivpost.com...

euronews ‏@euronews · 10m
Tension in east Ukraine as separatists take over regional TV eurone.ws...

KyivPost ‏@KyivPost · 13m
Vice: Russian roulette - the invasion of Ukraine (VIDEO) www.kyivpost.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

PaulaSlier_RT @PaulaSlier_RT
Hearing there's a local govt building storming in #Konstantinovka - on way now - about 40 mins away #Ukraine

LE: info appears in other sources:
zn.ua...

Militants say it is a necessary step before the scheduled May 11 "referendum".

In the Donetsk region Kostyantynivka gunmen seized a police station and the city council.

According to TSN, the front entrance to the building erected barricades, and officials at the jobs do not miss.

Public transport allowed to bypass trapped buildings.

In this case the terrorists did not put forward until their demands. They say that it is a necessary step before the scheduled May 11 illegal "referendum".

Recall April 23 Kostyantynivka was burnt newspaper "Province". Publishing Office threw "Molotov cocktails".

edit on Mon0000003011714 by Dutzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Actually im not all over the place. That would be you by trying to discuss anything but Russia in Ukraine. You keep trying to invoke Yugoslavia, which is not comparable to this situation, which is why Russia stopped trying to use that as justification.

I don't assume you are Russian so once again you cant refute facts so you attack the poster by making an assumption you cant possibly hope to support in an effort to obfuscate the questions and facts.

As for history - If you are not versed in history on what's being discussed then maybe you should think twice before spouting off on the topic and making accusations you cant support. research / learn and then come back and join in. The thread and what's being discussed might make some more sense and you would not be stuck on one topic at a time.

By the way, by making that comment you once again obfuscated and deflected while trying to spin the response back around into a circular argument. Wont work.

lol I give up it is extremely hard to follow what you are talking about.
I was talking about Russian volunteers in South East who you and buffoons from White House persistently try to present as Russian Military Force.
In that contest I mention involvement of Russian volunteers in Bosnian war as there were plenty of them involved there as well and it looks this is something hard for you and your tag partner to grasp.
Again they are not Russian Military Force, how hard is to understand that. They are/were volunteers who came on their own to fight for what they believe is right.
Same can apply for those who left Ukrainian Army and Police force and joined this resistance movement.
They are not a part of Russian Military Force as such.
In regards to history, nothing what you said makes sense to me and that is why I asked you to explain.
All I can see are some frustrations and aggression on your part with every single post you made.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Ukraine Reporter ‏@StateOfUkraine 1h

mil analyst Tymchuk: pro-#Kremlin forces are strengthening checkpoints in #Donetsk #Ukraine and arming men with RPGs (to repel APCs/tanks)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Info from mil/analyst D. Tymchuk:
www.facebook.com...

Statement of the "Information Resistance"
regarding the progress on the ATO 28.04

situation

For unknown reasons , the de facto turning the active phase of the anti-terrorist operation until it is completed , its leadership failed to take measures sufficient to completely block Sloviansk ( despite the fact that officially declared about it).

This is confirmed by the smooth arrival last weekend in Slavic executives of so-called " People's Republic of Donetsk ", " friendly visit " 15 armed militants Novokramatorsky engineering plant to capture engineering machinery razgrazhdeniya and unimpeded departure subversive group there. Single story - hostage of the OSCE observer mission in supposedly isolated and delivery of Gorlovki in Slavic captured three employees of Alpha .

All these demoralizing moments could have been avoided , whether the city is really blocked.

Moreover, despite the extremely resonant shares held by extremists in the area ATO , some representatives of the operation for several days are out of its holding .

But most importantly : units of power structures involved in the ATO , clear orders not delivered on completion of already initiated action was to neutralize extremist groups . Then how to perform tasks such personnel is ready . On the contrary, in case of a tactical success , instead of fixing them , for unknown reasons, invariably follows the order for withdrawal of forces .

Celebrated entirely unsatisfactory level of coordination among various law enforcement agencies involved in the ATO - despite the fact that all representatives of the security forces presented at the headquarters of the ATU .

findings

In these circumstances, various allegations against the lack of effectiveness of the ordinary "siloviki" , we are sure to distract attention from the main problem - the lack of political will of the highest military and political leadership of the country and the expertise of direct management operations . Between these officials no intermediaries , because the perpetrators of impermissible stalling ATO determine very easily.

One gets the impression that the ongoing senior management powers game is contrary to the national interests of Ukraine.

We are confident that this apathy is particularly unacceptable on the eve of May Day (1 and 9 May ), when the projected sharp increase in activity of extremists.

Arguments like the assertion that the ATO may provoke an invasion of Russia, look unconvincing. On the contrary, the assumption of contagion spread pro extremism in the region gives Moscow an excuse to start such an invasion . Neutralization of the same extremist groups controlled Russia , Putin denies he needed "arguments" about " assistance to compatriots in Ukraine , do not recognize the Bandera illegitimate government."

We kindly ask higher military-political leadership and guidance to realize the full extent of ATO inadmissibility actual folding operations and the lack of adequate action during the evaluation .

group "Information Resistance"

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
06:00 GMT:
Unconfirmed reports are coming from Konstantinovka, a city with in Ukraine’s Donetsk region, of anti-government activists taking over the city hall and police station.

The city is located in the northern part of the turbulent region and has a population of about 77,000. It’s known as a large glass and glassware production center in Ukraine.

some pics

twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Two law enforcers injured in Kramatorsk airport shootout - Kyiv officials

An exchange of fire between participants in the anti-terrorist operation and pro-Russian activists took place in the area of the Kramatorsk airport, Donetsk region, on Monday morning, April 28, Dmytro Tymchuk, a journalist and coordinator of the group Information Resistance, has reported.

www.kyivpost.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Extremists lifted the siege of the airfield in Kramatorsk, but seized trucks

"It was about a massive psychological impact of separatists, and attempts to provoke security forces to open fire," - said Tymchuk.
However, in preparing to repel possible assaults center manager said "blatant lack of coordination between senior representatives of some law enforcement agencies in the area of ​​the ATO."
Also, according to him, the head of the ATU the third day does not exist in the area of ​​the operation.

glavcom.ua...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Private military company will be in charge of suppressing protest movements in Eastern Ukraine, said a source in the country's Security Service. According to him, the name of the company is Greystone Limited.

According to a source cited by ITAR-TASS, Ukrainian authorities believe that the Security Service is not able to suppress the protest mood and neutralize the leaders and activists of the pro-Russian movement in the eastern regions. In particular, the source said, the acting president Alexander Turchinov shares this opinion. "Therefore it was decided to attract foreign mercenaries, who will serve as political police and state security protection, " said the representative of the Security Service.
Read more: voiceofrussia.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Al Arabiya English ‏@AlArabiya_Eng · 1m
Pro-#Russia gunmen seize another east #Ukraine town ara.tv...

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 2m
Breaking: 1more body w/ similar traces of torture discovered in #Sloviansk. novosti.dn.ua... |EMPR News

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 9m
1officer of #Ukraine's Security Service, 1military serviceman injured in recent shooting at #Kramatorsk airfield, Tymchuk. unian |EMPR

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 11m
Candidate of the Party of Regions Mikhail Dobkin not allowed in Kherson by locals www.pravda.com.ua... … |EMPR News

Daniel Sandford ‏@BBCDanielS · 12m
Russian troops near Ukrainian border this morning via @NatVasilyevaAP www.apimages.com...

edit on 28-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Wrabbit started a thread on this and I can't help but think it's related -

Russia's deputy PM arrives in N. Korea

Very interesting times.
edit on 28-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 460  461  462    464  465  466 >>

join