It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 448
<< 445  446  447    449  450  451 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Ukraine has closed the fresh water supply to Crimea.

Link with pics
edit on 26/4/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

First, the water, next, the food.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

First, the water, next, the food.

There was an article talking about this exact issue. Currently Ukraine is the only link Crimea had with regards to water and electricity. The Russians can quickly end the electric issues by linking Crimea to Russia via the Sea of Azov, which there are most likely going to do.

The water issue is more problematic and any solution will most likely take months to resolve if they are lucky.

That's contingent on Russia and where they end hostilities with Ukraine.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

RT ‏@RT_com · 1m
PHOTO: Ukrainian servicemen force Russia's @lifenews_ru journalist to knees. (via Global Look Press) pic.twitter.com/eP91KXgNFI

Ukrainian Updates ‏@Ukroblogger · 2m
'Political prisoner'?That's what #Russians call Gubarev, want to trade him for #OSCE reps ('#NATO spies') #Ukraine pic.twitter.com/oqSq7kvzY5

Hostage situation / human shield.

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak · 3m
Ukraine Security Service says separatists holding OSCE observers are co-ordinating with Russia and plan to use them as a "human shield"

Ukraine journalist hostage

natalia antelava ‏@antelava · 27m
Not only OSCE,several Ukrainian journalists also held in Slovyansk. We didn't feel very welcome there either www.bbc.co.uk... … #Ukraine

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 24m
Not only #OSCE,several #Ukrainian journalists also held in #Sloviansk. We didn't feel welcome there either www.bbc.co.uk... … @antelava

Russian spin?

MFA Russia ‏@mfa_russia · 22m
FM’s commissioner for human rights Konstantin Dolgov: detentions of journalists in Ukraine abuse freedom of speech en.itar-tass.com...

edit on 26-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Its like Ukraine pushing Russia to invade them. This is clearly a 'an Ukrainian attack on Russian interests'.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The Global super-structure of Human interconecttivity is undeniable in todays world,the old days are gone now, we depend on each other more than ever .Borders mean less than ever , making war is less accpetable than ever before,I believe we can all see the Planet is on the verge of coming together.

Russia isnt growing anywhere,China isnt growing anywhere,America isnt growing anywhere,no country will ever grow through imperialistic military force again.

If the Global food and energy supply is threatened by two countries there is clear justification for others with concerns related to that food and energy supply to take pro-active steps to prevent escalation,in other words,it might become a reality to see Russia and any other major player pro-actively crippled to prevent a Global Extinction Level event ,other smaller countrys may see it as an only option,if we all face destruction because two countries think they have the right to kill the human species then there exists a Global responsiblity driving the rest of the Planet towards a SURVIVAL MENTALITY,and to me this means first strikes which in some way cripple the main combatants,in the name of Humanitys survival.

If 2 Superpowers lose 5 million men each,but the Global population loses 100 million collaterally, through starvation and lack of medical care,who is responsible for the 100 million deaths ??

If you threaten Humanity with ultimate destruction then you need to be able to accept the consequences of Humanity coming together to erase you as a threat to their survival,this isnt about countries and borders anymore, there are new rules that were not factored into the scenarios major countries have been working on for 75 years.no one is considering a Robin Hood action by the REST OF THE WORLD,you do know people want to live right? No one wants to die.

When Humanitys survival is at stake the Enemy of my Enemy becomes my Friend.

I hope this ends peacefully.

edit on 26-4-2014 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

Its like Ukraine pushing Russia to invade them. This is clearly a 'an Ukrainian attack on Russian interests'.

Glad you can start to see through the murk, took you long enough.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I think the ship sailed on invasion when Russian units invaded Ukraine/Crimea.

Russia has been busy over the last few months to create a position where if Ukraine sneezes Russia invades. The problem is their propaganda effort which seems to not take into account that outside of Russia people can see both sides of the situation. I don't understand why Putin thinks their media blitz would be accepted outside of Russia.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Would you mind pointing us to when that happened? Because you keep parroting the same line, yet there was no invasion (unless you consider troops already there as "invasion", oh nvm you do, sad western propaganda...).

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Russia has been busy over the last few months to create a position where if Ukraine sneezes Russia invades. The problem is their propaganda effort which seems to not take into account that outside of Russia people can see both sides of the situation. I don't understand why Putin thinks their media blitz would be accepted outside of Russia.

But this is being reported by Ukrainian media. The northern Crimean canal have been shut off. It is the main supplier of fresh drinking water to Crimea. In my opinion its a very bad move by the Ukrainians. Something very close to biological warfare where mostly civilians will suffer.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yusomad

Would you mind pointing us to when that happened? Because you keep parroting the same line, yet there was no invasion (unless you consider troops already there as "invasion", oh nvm you do, sad western propaganda...).

It happened when Russia sent troops into Crimea.

How about some Russian propaganda ?
RT - Putin acknowledges Russian military serviceman were in Crimea

Russian President Vladimir Putin has acknowledged that Russian troops were present in Crimea before the referendum and argued that was necessary to let Crimeans make the choice on the future of the region.

The armed men in military uniform without insignia, dubbed “the little green men” or “the polite people,” who were present in Crimea before and during the referendum there, were Russian troops, Vladimir Putin acknowledged speaking at a Q&A session with on Thursday. The president said he never concealed the fact from his foreign counterparts, and explained to them that it was the only way to ensure the referendum on the region’s status would be carried out peacefully.

“Crimean self-defense forces were of course backed by Russian servicemen,” Putin said. “They acted very appropriately, but as I’ve already said decisively and professionally.”

The treaty they had stipulated how many Russian units could be present in Crimea/Ukraine. Russia violated that and by extension it invaded Ukraine/Crimea.

Armed military members from a foreign nation that sets foot in a sovereign nation is in fact an invasion.

Maybe next time you could research the facts before calling / insinuating bias.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak · 3m
Reuters: Ukrainian interim Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk says Russian military aircraft violated Ukrainian airspace seven times overnight

thomas eymondlaritaz ‏@thomaseymond · 16h
"These presidential elections in Ukraine will not be allowed" say the Russians according to François Heisbourg at #LennartMeri Conference

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

counter argument -

Why should Ukraine continue to supply resources to an enemy occupied region? Russia invaded / annexed. Russia should be responsible for those areas now.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

counter argument -

Why should Ukraine continue to supply resources to an enemy occupied region? Russia invaded / annexed. Russia should be responsible for those areas now.

Yes in that way its true. But in an humanitarian way its wrong. And whats scary is that Russia can become responsible and invade the eastern Ukraine to turn the taps on. Russia will have a propaganda advantage.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

counter argument -

Yes in that way its true. But in an humanitarian way its wrong.

While I agree with your point, the situation was caused by Russia.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I missed that... Thanks for the info.

My apologies.

No problem. Easy to miss with fast on-going developments. The Russians have also completed a series of Open Skies flights over the UK. They operated out of RAF Brize Norton on the 24th April and used a Russian Air Force Antonov 30 Clank.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 13m
The faces of terrorists in Eastern #Ukraine | EMPR Post #Kramatorsk #Donetsk #Slovyansk #Russia #Putin pic.twitter.com/HBtCuepyGo

MFA Russia ‏@mfa_russia · 17m
Russian and German foreign ministers had discussed the crisis in Ukraine en.itar-tass.com... @rusbotschaft

wow

FRANCE 24 ‏@FRANCE24 · 19m
Russia accuses detained OSCE observers of being 'spies' f24.my...

euronews ‏@euronews · 17m
#european observers detained in Ukraine are branded 'Nato spies' eurone.ws...

English EuroMaidan ‏@EuroMaidanEN · 54m
UKRAINE CLOSES DOWN WATERR SUPPLY TO CRIMEA
The North-Crimean channel supplies 85% of fresh water to Crimea. fb.me...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Patrik Maldre ‏@Patrik_Maldre · 5h
Jaroslav Neverovic, Lithuania's Minister of Energy, says Europe is ready for LNG from US. We have 23 import terminals #LennartMeri

Naton Aika ‏@NatonAika · 2h
#Finland: 66% of officers support #NATO membership | yle.fi... | #Nordic & #Baltic #defence & #security | ping #LennartMeri

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Yusomad

Would you mind pointing us to when that happened?

I understand what you are implying. The Russian troops accused of invading Crimea were already there. It is true. Russia did have a contract with Ukraine to host there the Black Sea Fleet, meaning, Russian troops have been there since the existence of the Black Sea Fleet...

However, if you have a contract with a country for it to host one of your bases, that doesn't mean your military can walk around as it pleases. The U.S. has bases all over the World, but the troops are confined to their areas of action within the base. If they want to leave the base, they leave as civilians or for R&R.

What happened in Crimea was that with the smallest indication of civil unrest, the Russian troops left their bases and took defensive positions around the Russian bases.

Soon after, they were not only defending their bases, but they were making forward movements towards Ukrainian forces. It was in that moment that, magically, the Russian troops went back to their bases, but a new form of force appears: the guys in green uniforms.

I'm going to be honest, and if you read my posts you know that I'm not far apart from your global view, but what Russia did was wrong. If they have the right to do it considering the actions of the West in the past 10/20 years, that's another discussion.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Shutting off the water = bad move.

People get real upset over water. Russia will think themselves the hero for moving into the rest of the Ukraine to "safeguard" protect the interests of their people.

No matter what one thinks of the Russians, not everyone in Crimea wants to be Russian and to cut off their water is horrible. To those in Crimea that want to be Russian all I can say is good luck with that. Lets see how it takes their hero Russia to get them fresh water. If it is more than five days than all poo will hit the fan.

new topics

top topics

<< 445  446  447    449  450  451 >>

join