It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

jhn7537
reply to post by Catacomb

From a tactical and logistical perspective the US would have a hard time moving their military to that region to protect Ukraine, right? I feel like this could go from bad to HORRIBLE in no time and I have that strange feeling that Putin may want to test out Obama a little to see how he reacts

Not really, in fact the Ukraine is surrounding by NATO allies (Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, and Poland). It's pretty easy for the US to begin troop movements, and it probably already has done so as of last night.

Turkey, Bulgaria, and Greece would also be key for any naval movements into the Black Sea, and the supply of such units.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Admittingly, I don't know much about Ukraine or their country's history, but if Russia decides to cross over the border with its military and a fight breaks out, does Ukraine stand any chance in hell defending their country? Would Ukraine's military arsenal be considered antiquated when compared to Russia or do they likely have a lot of ex-soviet infrastructure items?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Ukrainian deputy parliament speaker Ruslan Koshulynskyy said that tomorrow at the meeting of the people's representatives in Ukraine may impose emergency or martial law. If today the National Security Council decides.

Tomorrow we may have emergency/martial law here.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

That's ok.. and thanks for you reply.
I know it was a personal question.

link   

There wont be a world war III Obama wont do anything. The Most we will hear out of the UN is We are very disappointed in you Putin

link   

jhn7537
Admittingly, I don't know much about Ukraine or their country's history, but if Russia decides to cross over the border with its military and a fight breaks out, does Ukraine stand any chance in hell defending their country? Would Ukraine's military arsenal be considered antiquated when compared to Russia or do they likely have a lot of ex-soviet infrastructure items?

It would look just like Georgia.

Russia is currently in the process of covertly immobilizing key infrastructure and command/control facilities throughout Ukraine.
The news reports clearly point to a pattern..

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Party Svoboba(one of the members of the interim government) gave this statement.

"Brothers and sisters Ukrainian Federation Council of Russia gave President Vladimir Putin agreed to invade Ukraine. It - war. Such conditions Ukrainian society needs maximum mobilization" - said in a statement to the press service political power . Svobodovtsy called acting President of Ukraine Oleksandr Turchynov immediately signed a decree on the introduction of martial law in the country and conducting general mobilization, and the Parliament of Ukraine - approve the "maniac Putin decided to try on the infamous Hitler the laurels. Aggression of the Kremlin get a decent response. Everybody to defend the homeland, do not give up a single piece of Ukrainian land invaders. We win! Glory to Ukraine", - said in a statement.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The best way to settle this....... wladimir klitschko vs Ivan Drago

VS.

edit on 1-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

jhn7537

I think that I am one of the few who believe that the Ukraine does stand a chance. They would basically have to give up Eastern Ukraine, from a military defense standpoint. However, this is just fine really, as the western Ukraine is mountainous. They could really devastate any motorized units that would have to funnel their way through there.

The Ukraine has T-64's, I think. Russia's MBT is the T-90. Ukraine has BMP's, just like Russia. Much of the same equipment, really, just about 20 years older. However, it's still fairly modern, and it won't be a situation like the US vs. Saddam Hussein. Ground troops for the Ukraine number in the 70k, opposed to the supposed 150k on the border, for Russia. Russia can, obviously, put way more troops into the fight, however.

But, so can NATO.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well, if NATO gets involved supporting Ukraine then all bets are off... And from there I would expect the worst to happen

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

knightrider078

There wont be a world war III Obama wont do anything. The Most we will hear out of the UN is We are very disappointed in you Putin

That very well could be true...our world leaders could pull a Neville Chamberlain. It really wouldn't surprise me, at all. However, I don't want war, but I don't think Russia should be allowed to do what they are doing...tough call.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Ukrainian security officials and officials massively applying for asylum in Russia

The entrance to the Crimea blocked unknown in camouflage with assault rifles and George Ribbon

Pics of Crimea being blocked Here

edit on 1/3/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Russia about to find out it's seriously out it's depth.... Ukraine alone will be no pushover.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

jhn7537

Well, if NATO gets involved supporting Ukraine then all bets are off... And from there I would expect the worst to happen

As was stated earlier, the Ukraine traded in its nuclear arsenal for NATO protection. That is no small thing. If NATO does not intervene, its credibility as a defense pact becomes severely undermined.. another win for Putin.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

clay2 baraka

jhn7537

As was stated earlier, the Ukraine traded in its nuclear arsenal for NATO protection. That is no small thing. If NATO does not intervene, its credibility as a defense pact becomes severely undermined.. another win for Putin.

Does Russia really want to get involved in a war against the Ukraine, NATO and the US? Just sounds like too much to risk for too little gain... A lot just assume China or other countries similar would just back Russia for the sake of backing them, but I don't see that happening. Maybe Syria and Iran will come to Russia's aid

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

clay2 baraka

jhn7537

Which underscores how Putin holds all the cards, and it's a win-win situation for him. If NATO intervenes, he can say there was no violence, they were only protecting their interests, and the West is war-mongering...again. Of course, we all know the truth. I am just saying that either way, Putin wins.

And that's scary.

But, like you say, if NATO doesn't intervene...they might as well disband. Their organization will be considered useless, and inept. Tough call, because if they do go in, it's going to be all out war, which could spill over into neighboring countries...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Putin is gambling on a NATO non-response (brinksmanship at its best)..

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

This is probably a strategic move by Russia.

Not to forget...one of the reasons for Russia to step in during the 1st World War was not only to "defend their slavic brothers" as they said, but to ensure free and unhindered passage to the Mediterranian Sea. And since it is such a strong pro russian movement in the Crimena Peninsula they see their chance now when Ukraine is weakened to make an offensive move and ensure the water passage to just that. Russia don't want to be kicked out of their base there and have more of Nato and the EU in the Black Sea than there already is.

And to not to forget either what Russian officials said about 10-15 years after the war in Afghanistan ended.
"It was a bad decision to move in, but it was our back yard" *

* Source quote: John K Cooley- Unholy Wars: Afghanistan, America and International Terrorism

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

If Russia ignores the US and NATO going in. Then I would assume that the US has free reign to ignore Russia in going into Syria and Iran... I would bet you both those countries will want Russia to back off too

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What is this all about anyway.

Ukraine wants to join the European Union, which makes sense for many economic reasons.

Russia does not want the possibility of US bases in Ukraine, which is understandable.

Is there that much of a difference between the Russians and Ukrainians?

Is there anything else going on, like oil or gas pipelines?

It seems that it would be up to an agreement that Europe will never put troops in Ukraine, and the US will never have bases in the Ukraine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join